Losing over 20 to 30k a day in my stocks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a huge mistake last Wednesday. I had made a ton of money when the sp500 was at a new high. I could have paid off all my debt and moved on in life. However, I got greedy and stayed in stocks. As of today my losses are well over 100k and see myself working at Walgreens with overtime in the near future. Anyone else in this predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing you can do is continue to add every month and forget about it until you start getting near retirement. I wouldn't even look at your account.

Stocks will go up over time but it is bound to correct.

This is actually good for newer graduates if we do drop big. You'll get an opportunity to invest at much better levels.

But truly, don't worry about this drop.

Reactions: 8 users
Do not worry about this drop because you will all be dead in 50 years anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I made a huge mistake last Wednesday. I had made a ton of money when the sp500 was at a new high. I could have paid off all my debt and moved on in life. However, I got greedy and stayed in stocks. As of today my losses are well over 100k and see myself working at Walgreens with overtime in the near future. Anyone else in this predicament?
Just now getting in stock. Am a stock market newbie. So you lost $100k on this recent drop?

You win some you lose some. Realized 120k from TSLA recently. But the entire market is tanking.

Reactions: 1 user
Best thing you can do is continue to add every month and forget about it until you start getting near retirement. I wouldn't even look at your account.

Stocks will go up over time but it is bound to correct.

This is actually good for newer graduates if we do drop big. You'll get an opportunity to invest at much better levels.

But truly, don't worry about this drop.

Hey @wagrxm2000 - I'm genuinely curious-what if the stock tanks like JcPenney/GE etc. Shouldn't we keep like at least a monthly watch on stocks?

Iron grip HODL til retirement and continue buying more. Just laugh 40 yrs later.

Stonks only go up.

Time in the market beats timing the market.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @wagrxm2000 - I'm genuinely curious-what if the stock tanks like JcPenney/GE etc. Shouldn't we keep like at least a monthly watch on stocks?

If you are individually picking stocks, yes you should be checking on them.

I highly recommend either stop losses after huge gains or if you are very high on a stock going forward, having money to add on dips.

Last edited:
Are your losses really $100k, or did your gains just drop by $100k? Big difference.

Just now getting in stock. Am a stock market newbie. So you lost $100k on this recent drop?

from last Wednesday to now. Account has dropped over 100k in one week. I wish I had cashed out and I would be laughing at people who are in a sinking ship but unfortunately I am still on board. The ship is not done sinking

Younger ?Take chances
Close to Retirement?Be conservative.
Who knows?If all my investments worked out like planned I would be on a beach sipping a Peter Collada.

Younger ?Take chances
Close to Retirement?Be conservative.
Who knows?If all my investments worked out like planned I would be on a beach sipping a Peter Collada.

You sipping on Peter Collada while on the beach. Whoever he is, this thread just became triple XXX.

Yike's take a deep breath...do you do your own trading? Probably not a good idea...If managed, you are paying experts to handle this..let them do it...THEY likely look at this as a time to buy....Depends on your age too...

from last Wednesday to now. Account has dropped over 100k in one week. I wish I had cashed out and I would be laughing at people who are in a sinking ship but unfortunately I am still on board. The ship is not done sinking

I assure you, just stick around and everything will be ok. You can't sell everytime the market drops or you'll be one of those people that lose out on 50, 100, even 200% gains.

Yes this could be the big one, I doubt it though.

If you really want out, you can always start putting more towards loans now.

Is this in your 401k and IRA that you don't plan on withdrawing from until retirement? Or in taxable acct?

Meh. Wake me up when the market is down 50%. I'll add 10k on a 20% drop from the peak. Another 15k on a 30% and 40% drop. I'll go all in around 50%.

Reactions: 2 users

Like wagrxm2000 alluded to, you dump your retirement funds into the s&p to buy and hold long term. You have to look at it long term and not worry about short term ups and downs. It is actually good for it to drop to be able to buy more shares for better long term gains. If you are closing in on retirement, being stock heavy is a big risk.

Is this in your 401k and IRA that you don't plan on withdrawing from until retirement? Or in taxable acct?

it’s a combination of my personal and Roth IRA. I never look at my 401k.

So you have $1M in retirement and you’re crying about a measly 10% correction?

LOL

ROFL

LMAO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
It's easy to buy and hold when the market has had massive gains in the decade.

During a correction a lot of investors would probably lose their minds and sell everything.

People completely forgot dow dropped 20% in Dec 2018

We are at 12-13% now?

We are at 12-13% now?
I wouldn't be surprised if we are back where we were by end of April.

It's easy to buy and hold when the market has had massive gains in the decade.

During a correction a lot of investors would probably lose their minds and sell everything.

Well...someone has to be massively emotional. I gotta buy from someone, right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yike's take a deep breath...do you do your own trading? Probably not a good idea...If managed, you are paying experts to handle this..let them do it...THEY likely look at this as a time to buy....Depends on your age too...

I had just promised my wife she could get a new car but the market is killing me. Anyone know of any Pintos for sale?

it's only a loss if you sell it at the low. Hold on for the win when it rebounds

We are at 12-13% now?

This is the fastest 10% drop in history. If and when it dropped 20-30%, that is when the real pain begins. Who is going to need to raise cash?

People who will be hit first:
- temp/prn workers
- service and travel industry..many workers are temp and depend on tips
- businesses that depend on China for supplies
- retirees who depend on the stock market (FIRE people)

This might not be a one time thing. The virus might go away but re-emerge next year. So this might be a long term thing...who knows.

I bought a significant share of gold in 2018/2019. I also have a good cash reserve on hand. I keep my cost low. I don’t have any debt besides my rental properties.

I don’t see this as a buying opportunity yet until there is some certainty with the direction of the outbreak. It has been a good 10 years run but it is better to play the wait and see game.

This is the fastest 10% drop in history. If and when it dropped 20-30%, that is when the real pain begins. Who is going to need to raise cash?

People who will be hit first:
- temp/prn workers
- service and travel industry..many workers are temp and depend on tips
- businesses that depend on China for supplies
- retirees who depend on the stock market (FIRE people)

This might not be a one time thing. The virus might go away but re-emerge next year. So this might be a long term thing...who knows.

I bought a significant share of gold in 2018/2019. I also have a good cash reserve on hand. I keep my cost low. I don’t have any debt besides my rental properties.

I don’t see this as a buying opportunity yet until there is some certainty with the direction of the outbreak. It has been a good 10 years run but it is better to play the wait and see game.
cant be the fastest in history. Black Momday lost 22% in a single day.

cant be the fastest in history. Black Momday lost 22% in a single day.

Fastest 10% from peak:

ImageUploadedBySDN1582852379.922162.jpg

if you consider yourself to be quite logical and analytical in nature, the best advice i would give to someone about to make a trade is this:

whatever trade you're bent on making based on your logic and analysis -- don't make the trade
instead, do just the opposite of what you were planning on doing

it's how the algos are taught
in other words, "inverse" your own trading decisions

Last edited:
I had just promised my wife she could get a new car but the market is killing me. Anyone know of any Pintos for sale?

Cars will be cheap when people start getting laid off like in 2008/2009.

Alright I’m going to call the dip. Friday at 3pm I’m going to buy about 5k in ETF (just a small gamble). I’m betting on a strong bounce on Monday. Then I will selll it all at about 2pm est as corona virus fears heighten.

I will buy SPDR S&P 500 ETF... wish me luck

Givin away my age a bit here but survived the drops of 1987 and 2018 by holding and waiting. Put 3 kids thru college debt free and no worries about our retirement in the future.

What about the tech bubble and great recession?

Alright I’m going to call the dip. Friday at 3pm I’m going to buy about 5k in ETF (just a small gamble). I’m betting on a strong bounce on Monday. Then I will selll it all at about 2pm est as corona virus fears heighten.

I will buy SPDR S&P 500 ETF... wish me luck
UPRO or ban.

UPRO or ban.

UPRO is a great option also. Maybe I’ll go 50/50.

Haven’t made up my mind. But I am making a wild guess that the weekend will be quiet and we will have a bounce

I personally am not buying yet. If this virus starts spreading in the US this could get a lot worse.

My thoughts as well. If this thing gets a foothold in the states I would expect some panic selling.

@Momus @wagrxm2000 @lord999 @confettiflyer

Put in 30K tomorrow VTI or wait?? Spread out on news?
You can do half and half later. If it bounces back up you capture some gain, if it dips you will feel better you still have some $ to invest.

That said. There is a potential this will turn out to be worse than expected. The sh1t hits the fan scenario is uncontained person to person transmission all over the US cities, just like in China where they close schools, malls, train station, etc. People will stop getting a paycheck. If that happens, demand of anything will plummet. People will get laid off and sh1t. Heck, it might affect all the retail demand and disrupt supplies. 20% down or more is possible. In China, the number of cases reported is slowing down. You can see the graph is tapering off. They can control this. We don't about how other countries handle it.

Me? I already dropped $45k into this. My time horizon is 30 yrs. I regret nothing :D