LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmarie224

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am going to be applying this fall and I was just looking for some advice on LOR's. I go to a pretty big school. The majority of my classes have been huge lectures so I haven't really had the opportunity to get to know any of my professors. I work in with 3 optometrists so I have no problem getting that one, it's just the academic one I need. I have no idea who I should get to write one of my LOR's...any ideas???

Also, I was wondering, what schools are more clinically based and which are more research based?

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest getting to know some of your professors through OH first. Also, you should do some research with a professor who you really like and can write you a STRONG LOR. Don't just go to OH and talk about class work, talk about other things. Professors are just like us students in that they have a "life". The professors who know you did well in their course and also know what you like to do outside of school can write you the best LOR.

Berkley is known for their immense research while a school like NECO is more clinical based.

I went to a huge school too where I didn't get to know most of my professors, exp in my science classes. I ended up getting my recs from the people I spent in office hours with wondering about my test scores....so I reccomend going to office hours and getting to know prof now so you have someone...its the only way to get to know ur prof if you're in a big class so don't be afraid even when u just want advice/fight your test scores ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
PCO is known for clicic and research on top of it...sorry forgot to answer that part with my first post

I also went to a large school (umich) where many of the prerequisite classes had around 500 students. Many of the professors actually get LOR requests from a lot of students (premeds, predents, prehealth). Depending on the professor, he or she would most likely ask for a rough draft personal statement, resume, activities list, transcript, and maybe a short interview to get to know you better. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be sure to ask for a LOR from a professor whose class you did well in.

Also, when you ask for LORs, I would suggest for you to be as professional as possible. This means to gather information about yourself beforehand, regardless of if the professor does or doesn't ask for it. I would gather a transcript, activities list, resume, personal statement, and a stamped and addressed envelope.

I don't know too much about research vs. clinical based schools, but I heard that Berkeley is big on research and ICO, PCO, and SUNY are great clinical schools. But, again, I'm really sure b/c I'm actually starting optometry school this fall. Anyway, hope this post helps. Good luck.

I also went to a large school (umich) where many of the prerequisite classes had around 500 students.

I went to U-M my freshman year! Transferred to Wayne State after that (don't ask why, lol)
Where are you starting in the fall?

I asked my professor if he wouldn't mind sitting down with me for half and hour to go over my school, extra-curricular history, and overall interests in life. This actually prepared me more than anything for my interview because he asked me things like, "so why pick optometry?" "how do you know this profession will fit your life?" "what are your passions?" "how do you know you'll be able to handle the course load?" "what have you done so far to gain knowledge about the profession?"

This was awesome for me, because at this point, my interview was a long ways off, so I had to think on my feet. But it also showed my professor how badly I wanted to go to optometry school, and my dedication for getting there.

I did go see my professor lots during office hours because I was in a class of roughly 300 people. So doing this "interview" gave him a glimpse of what I'm really like outside of the classroom.