This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sav_b1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a somewhat specific question about a letter of rec coming from a professor who taught me a non-science course that was listed in a science department. This professor knows me very well, so I definitely want to use this letter.

The course is listed as in the department of molecular and cellular biology. However, the CONTENT of the course was far outside of BPCM, it was very much social study. The title of the course was the Public Engagement with Science.

I am hoping to use this as my non-science LOR, do you think this might create problems for me?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think this would be fine.

Make sure to NOT include it as BCMP when filling out the transcript section

Members don't see this ad :)
This is definitely a nuance question. My cursory search of the AAMC website doesn’t yield anything specific to science/nonscience designation. School to school this may vary.

This is NYMC’s relevant letter requirement instructions:

“Two (2) letters must be from science faculty who either taught you in a class or supervised independent research for which you received credit toward your science GPA. Acceptable science courses for purposes of letters of evaluation include: biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, or bio-engineering, etc. (Math is not considered a science course for purposes of letters of evaluation.)”

This makes me think that you’re in a gray area, but it probably wouldn’t be considered a science letter.

Other schools may have different definitions, but I can’t find anything to contradict.

My vote would therefore be that you can count this as non-science. Check individual school requirements to make sure when designating them just to be sure.

@LoveBeingHuman:) , @21Rush12 , thank you so much for the advice. I will look into the policies for the individual schools!

@gonnif thank you so much for the heads up! I will see if I can make something else work.