Lor Timeframe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziffy 850

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help with redtape and applications. My first block(4th year) is committed. My 2nd block will be at home, and during blocks 3 and 4, I was planning to do away rotations. This is my question: will my away rotations be TOO LATE to get LORs. I would have to redo my entire schedule and totally piss off my dean if I move everything around, but these away rotations are prestigious and I need all the help I can get with my application.
Until what point can I add LORs without it hurting me? Nov. 1?

Members don't see this ad.

How long are your blocks? When do they start? I got LORs from two people that didn't go out until mid-Oct. Also, the Dean's Letter/MSPE doesn't get released until Nov. 1 so IMHO you could add letters at least until that point and be just fine. Many places don't use LoRs for deciding on who to interview anyway, that all comes later so as long as you get them in before you interview you're golden. Our program told us that we could get letters from anyone up through October rotations as long as the writer did it in a timely manner.

Keep in mind that, depending on the rest of your app, you could very well get interviews earlier than all your docs are in. I had 3 interviews before ANY of my LORs were available...they were based on my transcript, CV, Step 1 and Personal Statement and I had a lot of other classmates (in less competitive specialties) who had the same experience.

One last bit of advice is to not get most/all your letters from away rotations. PDs will look at this and wonder why you couldn't get a decent letter from your home school. You've also got more leverage at home than away.

BE
(One other little trick I learned by accident. Although you can only transmit 4 letters to a particular program at one time, there's a work-around. I transmitted a letter by accident to a program and they downloaded it before I could take it off the list. It was no big deal but I had a better, more relevant letter that I wanted to send. So I went back into ERAS, unchecked the wrong letter, checked the right one and crossed my fingers. It was dl'd 2 days later and when I got there for my interview, both letters were in my file. YMMV of course but it's worth a shot if you want to send more letters.)

thanks-i really appreciate the information. this entire process is a bit overwhelming for me-my first 2 years and step 1 were pretty awful and I'm counting on my better clinical years and LORS to help.

Our blocks are 4 weeks long. There are a couple of issues, however. One of which is: does it make sense to do 3 rotations (all identical) in a row, one at home and 2 away. When my application is submitted, it may show only a one dimensional profile, or is it better to do just 1 home, 1 away and another home rotation in a supporting specialty. I just don't know.

Thoughts anyone?

Keep in mind that after January 1 of your fourth year, no residency program will ever care about what you do (in reality, after November it is a moot point). By then you will have already been invited to interview and they will have made up their rank lists. If there is a least favorite rotation or an elective you don't think will help you with your application process, schedule it after January...

ziffy 850 said:
Our blocks are 4 weeks long. There are a couple of issues, however. One of which is: does it make sense to do 3 rotations (all identical) in a row, one at home and 2 away. When my application is submitted, it may show only a one dimensional profile, or is it better to do just 1 home, 1 away and another home rotation in a supporting specialty. I just don't know.

Thoughts anyone?

Depends on what you're going into. For the hypercompetitive surgical stuff like ENT, Ortho, Uro, Plastics and Ophtho, it's my understanding that you're basically expected to spend most of your elective time in that specialty. For my classmates that presents a problem b/c our program only allows 8 weeks of any particular specialty. As a result, if you want to do 12 weeks of ortho, you have to give up 4 potential weeks off. Everyone I know who matched in Uro, Ortho and ENT did 12 weeks of electives in that specialty, +/- a SICU rotation.

If on the other hand you plan to do IM, Gen Surg or Peds and specialize in something, I think 2 electives (1 at home for a letter, 1 away to show off and possibly for a letter) are enough (w/ the exception that Gen Surg might expect a Surg Sub-I, SICU and maybe a Surg elective of some sort, particularly since it's gotten much more competitive of late). If you're going for one of these, keep in mind that they're looking for somebody with broad interests.

BE