LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you Gutonc!!!

A follow-up question: I have read through past threads that these LORs will not be reviewed until interview time. I also noticed a lot of programs deadline isn't until end of Nov or latest is first of Dec. Would you suggest I add my 3rd rotation as my 4th letter prior to interviews and update the programs specifically?
I already told you what I suggested you do.

But please don't send emails to specific programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I need some guidance regarding LORs. I am going in with the assumption that I can only, at any time, submit a maximum of 4 LORs to each program. I currently have:

1) Clinical faculty who has an advisory role at our school in my sub specialty (DO school), whom I never rotated with, but has helped me throughout the year to plan rotations
2) MD letter from assistant PD of where I auditioned
3) MD letter from assistant PD of where I auditioned
4) IMG MD (not Caribbean) who I rotated with as an early third year in specialty of interest, works at a community hospital, has a few publications but nothing too crazy, questionable english skills

I still have two audition rotations (one 4- weeks, very prestigious/unlikely to rank me and the other 2 weeks- not as prestigious/more likely to rank me/wouldn't mind going there) moving forward, so I'm not sure how to play my cards right now. I don't want to depend on attaining another letter because hot damn it's stressful.

Is my best option right now to pick 3/4 of my listed (prob 2,3, and 4?) and then try to decide on the 4th one depending on whether or not I get any more letters? Won't it however look strange that I send out a LOR in November from someone who I rotated with in 3rd year (option 4)?

Last edited:
Overall, it's probably not going to matter no matter what you do. So I wouldn't stress about this. Although me telling you that isn't actually going to make you not stress about it.

Send three now, add a 4th later is a totally reasonable plan. You have two audition rotations coming. Remember that a letter from an audition won't help you match into that program -- they will certainly talk all about you at the program whether you submit a letter or not. So these future audition letters are for OTHER programs. if you have a rot at a very presitgious place, get that letter and then submit it to the other programs where it might have a big impact. Tell the person at your second audition that you've already submitted all your letters earlier in the season, so you'd appreciate it if they sent their impression directly to the PD via email.

If you don't get a letter later, or if you worry that your performance wasn't great at the prestigious place so you don't want to ask for a letter, then you just submit the 4th letter. No worries.

Reactions: 1 users
Overall, it's probably not going to matter no matter what you do. So I wouldn't stress about this. Although me telling you that isn't actually going to make you not stress about it.

Send three now, add a 4th later is a totally reasonable plan. You have two audition rotations coming. Remember that a letter from an audition won't help you match into that program -- they will certainly talk all about you at the program whether you submit a letter or not. So these future audition letters are for OTHER programs. if you have a rot at a very presitgious place, get that letter and then submit it to the other programs where it might have a big impact. Tell the person at your second audition that you've already submitted all your letters earlier in the season, so you'd appreciate it if they sent their impression directly to the PD via email.

If you don't get a letter later, or if you worry that your performance wasn't great at the prestigious place so you don't want to ask for a letter, then you just submit the 4th letter. No worries.
Thank you very much. As always, you've been very helpful.