LOR Question - how much does title/position of recommender matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I know this is probably a relatively minor point, but I'm trying to figure out if I should ask the chief of my ambulance service or my former field training officer/current shift supervisor for a LOR. Both know me well and (as far as I know!) like me. My chief has definitely written more letters of recommendation, but I think that my former FTO might be a bit more effusive about me, making me lean towards asking her.

Other LORs are from my physics prof, linguistics prof (for whom I've also worked as a TA), MD I scribe for, and possibly a faculty member from the med school associated with my UG. All letters would be compiled into a committee letter packet from my UG.

Members don't see this ad.

The letter is about you, not them, since it's your application, not theirs. What they say is sooooooooooooo much more important than their title.

The only possible exception would be if the writer is known to the adcom, in which case their credibility would make a letter from them much more valuable than one from a random stranger. In your case, definitely go with whoever is going to give you a better letter.

The title does not matter. What is important to consider when asking potential referees for a letter of reference is whether they can provide a STRONG letter for you. The purpose these letters of reference is to help ad coms determine if you are a good fit for their program. Just like a statement or purpose or personal essay, letters of recommendation should show rather than tell. In other words, your referees need to mention specific attributes that they have observed in you and provide context or specific examples of those attributes. They should also mention the unique contributions that you would bring the program, and they do this by describing experiences you have had and the learning that resulted from them. That’s why it is important that your referees know you well so they can speak about your abilities and whether or not you possess the essential qualities that programs are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn’t. The only possible exception is if the admissions committee personally knows and trusts a letter writer. For example, if a respected faculty member at a medical school spoke highly of an applicant, it may carry more weight.