LoR- apply tomorrow or delay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripwm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find a general consensus on this.

Short story: I only have 1 out of 3 LoR uploaded on ERAS (with the exception of my aways, asked for all in late July). Per my program director, his will be uploaded in the morning at some point. I've touched base with my Chair, but I honestly don't know when he is going to put his up.

Here's the dilemma: I'm doing Urology so programs will start filtering our applications very early. I'm afraid that the filter will pull me out simply because when I apply tomorrow morning I will only have 1 of the 3 required in the system.

So should I wait to apply when all 3 are uploaded (hopefully by the end of tomorrow) or will it simply not matter provided I make sure to assign the letters once they are uploaded?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't find a general consensus on this.

Short story: I only have 1 out of 3 LoR uploaded on ERAS (with the exception of my aways, asked for all in late July). Per my program director, his will be uploaded in the morning at some point. I've touched base with my Chair, but I honestly don't know when he is going to put his up.

Here's the dilemma: I'm doing Urology so programs will start filtering our applications very early. I'm afraid that the filter will pull me out simply because when I apply tomorrow morning I will only have 1 of the 3 required in the system.

So should I wait to apply when all 3 are uploaded (hopefully by the end of tomorrow) or will it simply not matter provided I make sure to assign the letters once they are uploaded?
I think it's best to apply ASAP and wait on the uploaded letters. May want to also ask in Urology forum given the time-sensitive nature of your question. If I were you, I wouldn't delay it (given I'm not applying to Urology).

It doesn't matter. When you say your application will be "filtered", it means that a PD may say to ERAS "Show me all applications with MyERAS, USMLE's, a PS, Transcript, and 3+ LOR's". In that case, your application will not be seen. However, as soon as your letters are uploaded, then they will see your application the next time they look at pending applications. If you wait to apply, the same result happens -- except that there might even be more delay bewteen the time your letters are available and you actually apply. People seem to think that once your application gets "filtered" then it won't be seen again -- that's not true.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't matter. When you say your application will be "filtered", it means that a PD may say to ERAS "Show me all applications with MyERAS, USMLE's, a PS, Transcript, and 3+ LOR's". In that case, your application will not be seen. However, as soon as your letters are uploaded, then they will see your application the next time they look at pending applications. If you wait to apply, the same result happens -- except that there might even be more delay bewteen the time your letters are available and you actually apply. People seem to think that once your application gets "filtered" then it won't be seen again -- that's not true.
But they might already have filled [some of] their interview invites by then though, right?