Looking to take radiography course for Xray certification(Dental Assistant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linx80

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking to take a combined intro to dental assisting and radiography course in order to take the Maryland X-ray certification exam.
I am taking this class at Howard Community College in Columbia, MD. I'm taking this course in order to apply to a dental assistant position as many employers will not even accept candidates who are not already x-ray certified. I wanted to know if taking this course would necessarily make it easier for me to get a job as a dental assistant or whether I should apply to the few places that apparently don't require x-ray certification(even though I can't find any).

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.dalefoundation.org/resou.../State-Dental-Assistant-Requirements/Maryland

Since the state of Maryland requires certification in order to take x-rays, I would guess that most employers would not even consider you without a certification.
No dentist would want to pay money to an assistant that cannot legally take x-rays.

I would enroll in the cheapest and shortest program possible. I was an assistant for couple of years and working in a clinical setting is very different from being in school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I'm looking to take a combined intro to dental assisting and radiography course in order to take the Maryland X-ray certification exam.
I am taking this class at Howard Community College in Columbia, MD. I'm taking this course in order to apply to a dental assistant position as many employers will not even accept candidates who are not already x-ray certified. I wanted to know if taking this course would necessarily make it easier for me to get a job as a dental assistant or whether I should apply to the few places that apparently don't require x-ray certification(even though I can't find any).
I'm currently a dental assistant with an EFDA and CDA certificate which includes the x-Ray. Pretty much impossible to find a job without it in states that prefer you to have one. Best bet with a state that requires it is getting on as a front office dental assistant, but where's the fun in that?