Looking to start a business, brainstorming ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cblues89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hold a master's in General Psychology from back in 2006. I also have a bachelors in Marketing dating back to 1994.

I have spent years in customer service and sales in the retail industry - specifically telecommunications. I have supervised of a small number of employees. I have also worked in a residential facility that treated adolescents with acquired brain injury. I was a supervisor there as well ensuring employees followed protocol and treated teens fairly.

All positions fanned out due to layoffs or ridiculously long hours (70 per week) for 10.00 an hour. My most recent job was selling automobiles of all things. An auto salesman I am not. In fact, I am done with sales for good.

My thesis focused on adolescent stress, peer pressure, drug use, and coping skills. I was fascinated with the field of study. My dream was to work with schools or perhaps be a school psychologist.

I am done with school. I am 42 and have an established family life. I want to take my skills and do something on my own. I have considered blogging and writing reviews. However I know it's very competitive. I want to be an expert in whatever field I represent. I do have a driven spirit and strong communication skills.

I have considered research as well. Perhaps developing surveys for small business. But I have been out of research mode for a considerable period. I would have to go back and relearn which is no problem.

I'm examining my current skills sets. It's very broad. Never really been an, "Expert" in anything.

I was wondering about career paths for the former student in psych who concentrated on research and a lot of writing! I need to brush up on writing as well. I was curious as to ideas that perhaps aren't on about.com or another site. What I have found primarily is being an assistant or even a probation officer. I am fascinated with consulting. Have no licensure however nor years of work in a given field other than telecommunications.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
cblues89

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to pursue your career in Psychology now, you can do that right now in the field of consultation, but that requires few years of experience under your belt. But you can do blog writing or Smm post on Psychology as a part timer, which can give a boast to your writing skill & good name in the market. So would recommend you to make your mind & act accordingly.

Hello,

I hold a master's in General Psychology from back in 2006. I also have a bachelors in Marketing dating back to 1994.

I have spent years in customer service and sales in the retail industry - specifically telecommunications. I have supervised of a small number of employees. I have also worked in a residential facility that treated adolescents with acquired brain injury. I was a supervisor there as well ensuring employees followed protocol and treated teens fairly.

All positions fanned out due to layoffs or ridiculously long hours (70 per week) for 10.00 an hour. My most recent job was selling automobiles of all things. An auto salesman I am not. In fact, I am done with sales for good.

My thesis focused on adolescent stress, peer pressure, drug use, and coping skills. I was fascinated with the field of study. My dream was to work with schools or perhaps be a school psychologist.

I am done with school. I am 42 and have an established family life. I want to take my skills and do something on my own. I have considered blogging and writing reviews. However I know it's very competitive. I want to be an expert in whatever field I represent. I do have a driven spirit and strong communication skills.

I have considered research as well. Perhaps developing surveys for small business. But I have been out of research mode for a considerable period. I would have to go back and relearn which is no problem.

I'm examining my current skills sets. It's very broad. Never really been an, "Expert" in anything.

I was wondering about career paths for the former student in psych who concentrated on research and a lot of writing! I need to brush up on writing as well. I was curious as to ideas that perhaps aren't on about.com or another site. What I have found primarily is being an assistant or even a probation officer. I am fascinated with consulting. Have no licensure however nor years of work in a given field other than telecommunications.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
cblues89

Haven't you posted this under different names?

Hi,

I am not sure if you are considering continuing your formal education, but that is certainly an avenue you might explore. I don't know if that is possible given your current life obligations, but many people make mid-career changes. If you are looking for a brilliant idea as an entrepreneur I don't think that will be easily found. Perhaps you might go in to see a career counselor though.

If you want to be an "expert" I think in this day and age one almost has to have a graduate degree to be considered a professional, much less an expert- yikes. It sounds like you are unsure about which direction to take, but know you want to do "something more". If you are familiar with psychology you most likely know about a Meyers-Briggs test. (Yes, I know it is a thumbnail sketch not an MMPI!) You can take an abbreviated version online and that might help you come up with some ideas.
Good luck.