Looking for unfilled fellowship positions (accredited/non-accredited)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mario_MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an ECFMG-certified physician with 2+ years of ACGME-accredited residency experience from Harvard-affiliated training programs in General Surgery (2 years) and Anesthesia (6 months) and an MPH from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

I made a series of bad decisions and chose the wrong specialty but I want to reinvent myself and pursue medicine followed by GI. I am planning to apply for the 2020 IM match. However, given that I have been away from clinical practice for a few years now, I am considering enrolling in an unfilled clinical fellowship to help my transition back into IM.

Please let me know if you have any leads or tips or suggestions. My only requirement is for a position that allows me to transition back to patient care.

Thanks!

p.s. I have a green card and do not need visa sponsorship.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd start with figuring out what led to problems in your incomplete residencies, (the Gen Surg I assume was inability to get a categorical position, this PDs understand- the 6 mo of Anesthesia will drive more scrutiny- assume whatever program interviews you will call and ask both PDs). Correct for these as best as you can. Get IM experience and get excellent letters. Publish, leverage connections- personal connections will be your best bet here. Apply as broadly as possible, kill it on every IV, rank every program. If you are interested in GI work on research now in anticipation that you may be at a program that is not a research powerhouse. If you know your stats find people who need that skill and deliver- I know some of these folks and they publish prodigiously even if they have long left their home institutes. Without knowing your red flags or scores I'd imagine there are programs willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: 1 users
Geri requires completion of a primary residency (usually FM or IM).

I was under the impression that OP was considering a fellowship to apply to in order to get into IM residency. That is why I said Geriatrics, because I did not want the OP to believe he can enroll in GI or even Hep.

But after some investigative research, I understand even geriatric is as you stated for completed IM/FM residents.

So the option OP has is to look for new IM residency programs and apply for 1st year categorical or prelim year in IM.

The issue here could get complexed with Anesth under OP belt and also 2 years of GS with respect to funding for a new position.

Hello, I am an ECFMG-certified physician with 2+ years of ACGME-accredited residency experience from Harvard-affiliated training programs in General Surgery (2 years) and Anesthesia (6 months) and an MPH from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

I made a series of bad decisions and chose the wrong specialty but I want to reinvent myself and pursue medicine followed by GI. I am planning to apply for the 2020 IM match. However, given that I have been away from clinical practice for a few years now, I am considering enrolling in an unfilled clinical fellowship to help my transition back into IM.

Please let me know if you have any leads or tips or suggestions. My only requirement is for a position that allows me to transition back to patient care.

Thanks!

p.s. I have a green card and do not need visa sponsorship.

We need to know what red flags you have and why you did not apply to Cat-IM programs this year. Also are you leaving Anesth (mid year) or being dismissed.

You can always apply to Pediatrics and FM also. But backdoor unfilled fellowship in fields like GI, Cards, HEM/ONC/ PPC ....... is not doable.

In order to better help you we need to know the full scope of your file ?

We need to know what red flags you have and why you did not apply to Cat-IM programs this year. Also are you leaving Anesth (mid year) or being dismissed.

You can always apply to Pediatrics and FM also. But backdoor unfilled fellowship in fields like GI, Cards, HEM/ONC/ PPC ....... is not doable.

In order to better help you we need to know the full scope of your file ?

I switched out of GS because I did not match into a categorical position and was offered a spot in anesthesia at a top-tier institution.

Towards the end of my first year in anesthesia, I had an episode of falling asleep in the OR. At the time, I was investigated for substance abuse by PHS which was negative. I was eventually dismissed from my program citing incompetence, a charge that is not substantiated by facts. However, I did not dispute the charge or the outcome because I was naive and stupid enough to not know that I could. Unfortunately, I made the cardinal mistake of not seeking legal advice while I was being tried by my program because I was told it was unadvisable and that I should play along if I want to resume training, which is what I do but it was all in vain.

After my dismissal, I underwent a comprehensive sleep evaluation and was diagnosed with two sleep disorders. However, since 2016 I have been fighting the board who are seeking to discipline me for not seeking help after my first episode of falling asleep when it is common knowledge that sleep disorders are commonly underdiagnosed because of being commonly confounded by symptoms of sleep deprivation etc. as was the case in my situation. The matter looks to be resolving in my favor soon which is why I am finally gearing up to apply in Match 2020.

I switched out of GS because I did not match into a categorical position and was offered a spot in anesthesia at a top-tier institution.

Towards the end of my first year in anesthesia, I had an episode of falling asleep in the OR. At the time, I was investigated for substance abuse by PHS which was negative. I was eventually dismissed from my program citing incompetence, a charge that is not substantiated by facts. However, I did not dispute the charge or the outcome because I was naive and stupid enough to not know that I could. Unfortunately, I made the cardinal mistake of not seeking legal advice while I was being tried by my program because I was told it was unadvisable and that I should play along if I want to resume training, which is what I do but it was all in vain.

After my dismissal, I underwent a comprehensive sleep evaluation and was diagnosed with two sleep disorders. However, since 2016 I have been fighting the board who are seeking to discipline me for not seeking help after my first episode of falling asleep when it is common knowledge that sleep disorders are commonly underdiagnosed because of being commonly confounded by symptoms of sleep deprivation etc. as was the case in my situation. The matter looks to be resolving in my favor soon which is why I am finally gearing up to apply in Match 2020.
You’ll need to find a program that is willing to take a chance on you. Apply broadly and don’t spend too much time making excuses but focus on how ready you are to be the best once you’re accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll need to find a program that is willing to take a chance on you. Apply broadly and don’t spend too much time making excuses but focus on how ready you are to be the best once you’re accepted.
Thank you for your forward-minded approach. I get too bogged down with has already happened that I find it hard to look ahead and make a case for what I can do. May I reach out to you privately for some advice?

@Mario_MD GI is a highly competitive IM subspecialty. Fair or not, you are an IMG with serious red flags. The GI match rate for all IMGs is under 40% and most of them have been building their GI focused CVs for years.

Your goal needs to be to get back into ANY residency. If you happen to get an IM slot, you can start to think about taking a shot at GI once you are back in residency.

Reactions: 1 users
@Mario_MD GI is a highly competitive IM subspecialty. Fair or not, you are an IMG with serious red flags. The GI match rate for all IMGs is under 40% and most of them have been building their GI focused CVs for years.

Your goal needs to be to get back into ANY residency. If you happen to get an IM slot, you can start to think about taking a shot at GI once you are back in residency.
Of course, THAT continues to be the plan. I am well aware of the red flags in my application and by no means was I suggesting that I can get into a competitive fellowship. I was merely saying that I am open to any unfilled spot as a means to getting an opportunity to flex my clinical skills as a lead up to applying for residency.

I am confused as to why u are on the GI forum. This is an IM forum issue. You’ll get more answers if you post on a bigger forum.

Fired for incompetence is breaking a femur before a marathon. You saying it’s not true won’t convince many and in IM having a sleep disorder isn’t really a defense that sounds a ton better.

Board scores? And will your surg year write a glowing letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Fired for incompetence is breaking a femur before a marathon. You saying it’s not true won’t convince many and in IM having a sleep disorder isn’t really a defense that sounds a ton better.

Board scores? And will your surg year write a glowing letter?

Board scores are in the 230s. I have glowing letters from faculty members from both my general surgery AND anesthesia residency programs.

I don't want to make excuses for what happened because the reality is neither I nor my program is completely right.

All I want is for one PD to look at all that I have accomplished (completing two years of general surgery residency successfully, MPH from Harvard, publishing 25 papers and presentations, etc.) and find it in their heart to believe that what happened with my anesthesia program should not define me. And that I have potential.

I just need that one PD who is willing to give me a second chance. I don't know if that is too much to ask for.

Board scores are in the 230s. I have glowing letters from faculty members from both my general surgery AND anesthesia residency programs.

I don't want to make excuses for what happened because the reality is neither I nor my program is completely right.

All I want is for one PD to look at all that I have accomplished (completing two years of general surgery residency successfully, MPH from Harvard, publishing 25 papers and presentations, etc.) and find it in their heart to believe that what happened with my anesthesia program should not define me. And that I have potential.

I just need that one PD who is willing to give me a second chance. I don't know if that is too much to ask for.
I’m not a pd, but the question I think you’ll need to anticipate is if you were so well loved in the prelim program, why didn’t they match you?

Just be prepared for that. I wish you well with it

Thanks. I know I am going to have to face a lot of tough questions.

And unfortunately, rules and logic don't necessarily apply to an applicant if they are an IMG. During one of the years of my prelim, I was passed on for a position for an AMG who had failed his ABSITE exam. No matter how good you are, it doesn't matter if you're competing with an AMG. And unfortunately, I was doping a prelim in a top-tier program.

I'm sorry that I don't have any leads for you. I don't suffer from a sleep disorder, but I guarantee I would be able to fall asleep in the OR setting as the anesthesiologist; understimulation makes me quite tired. So while I can't understand what you're going through, power to you for trying to make the best of it. Fortunately, falling asleep at your computer while writing a note typically doesn't endanger a patient!

I'm sorry that I don't have any leads for you. I don't suffer from a sleep disorder, but I guarantee I would be able to fall asleep in the OR setting as the anesthesiologist; understimulation makes me quite tired. So while I can't understand what you're going through, power to you for trying to make the best of it. Fortunately, falling asleep at your computer while writing a note typically doesn't endanger a patient!
Thank you for your kind words.

You should attempt the match route, apply broadly (like every non-academic program in America), drop the GI aspirations for right now and focus on completing IM training. Falling asleep wont matter so much to IM PDs but being fired for incompetence will. The language and PD communication related to your 6 months of anesthesia will be paramount in your chances since no PD is going to take a chance on recruiting an incompetent problem resident when they are in a seller's market.

You might get super lucky with an out of match IM spot but your only real chance is to aim to go through the match.

Also whatever you have been doing in your year off better have had some clinical exposure/shadowing, if not go get that right now since incompetence + being out of clinical medicine for XX years is not going to do you any favors.

You should attempt the match route, apply broadly (like every non-academic program in America), drop the GI aspirations for right now and focus on completing IM training. Falling asleep wont matter so much to IM PDs but being fired for incompetence will. The language and PD communication related to your 6 months of anesthesia will be paramount in your chances since no PD is going to take a chance on recruiting an incompetent problem resident when they are in a seller's market.

You might get super lucky with an out of match IM spot but your only real chance is to aim to go through the match.

Also whatever you have been doing in your year off better have had some clinical exposure/shadowing, if not go get that right now since incompetence + being out of clinical medicine for XX years is not going to do you any favors.

Thank you! I really appreciate these tips and suggestions. I am planning to do exactly everything that you have suggested.