Looking for some guidance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbeerOntable

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. My name is Abeer and I am looking for some guidance.

I am currently pursuing a BDS (in a school outside the US) with two years left.

I would like to continue my studies in the US (DDS followed by specialization).

I was dealing with adverse circumstances and I am just now focusing on my professional development, so I have a pretty empty resume, unfortunately.

My school follows a 4.0 scale GPA system. My score is a little higher than 3.0.

Regarding US requirements, I understand that I have to sit through two parts of the NBDE, which is a pass/fail exam. I also understand that there was some talk about using the DAT in the admissions process of some schools, but I am unsure how this eventually panned out.

I am looking for any guidance as to how I can maximize my chances of getting 'matched'.

How important a factor is GPA?

What extracurricular activities can help me get admitted? Is volunteering experience helpful? What about research experience? I do not really have a good appreciation of how competitive the matching process is.

I apologize for the onslaught of newbie questions, but I feel lost and would appreciate any sort of help.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you perform well and get a good GPA. And get good Recommendation Letters (3) from your teaching staff at the dental school where you studied. You have to pass NBDE Part 1, and preferably part 2. Probably do atleast one preceptorship program at some university here, and volunteer work. It usually costs around 5-12k dollars. So when you come back be ready to spend around 20K dollars in study materials, Exam Fees, Preceptorship programs, Applications, Bench Test Prep Courses and get some help on your Statement of Purpose for your application. MAKE SURE YOUR GPA IS GOOD. If you can participate in Research Programs, then that will add to your application. It's a good thing. Its a long and hard road to get certified and to get into a DDS Program here for a Foreign Trained Dentist.

All The Best. :)

Last edited:
Make sure you perform well and get a good GPA. And get good Recommendation Letters (3) from your teaching staff at the dental school where you studied. You have to pass NBDE Part 1, and preferably part 2. Probably do atleast one preceptorship program at some university here, and volunteer work. It usually costs around 5-12k dollars. So when you come back be ready to spend around 20K dollars in study materials, Exam Fees, Preceptorship programs, Applications, Bench Test Prep Courses and get some help on your Statement of Purpose for your application. MAKE SURE YOUR GPA IS GOOD. If you can participate in Research Programs, then that will add to your application. It's a good thing. Its a long and hard road to get certified and to get into a DDS Program here for a Foreign Trained Dentist.

All The Best. :)
Hello.

Thank you so much for your reply.

1. You mentioned GPA twice. From what I understand, my ~3.05 GPA needs to be 'verified' by the ECE? Do you have any idea how the process works? I find it peculiar that the only benchmark for academic performance is GPA and not some scored standardized exam.

2. What kind of research would bolster my application? Does it have to be in dentistry or can I do research in medicine, for example?

Again, thank you.

When you come back you have to get attested sealed documents of your transcripts from the Institution and send it to ECE for a Course by Course Evaluation. When I was in the middle of my foreign dental program, the GPA didn't matter. I think it started playing a bigger role in the last two years after the NBDE was made into a Pass/Fail only instead of a Numerical Score.

Dental Research over Medical for sure since Dentistry is your primary field.