Looking for some good advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chumbojumbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a 3rd year medical student. I am an FMG. I scored 194 on the Step 1. I have done an elective in Diagnostic Radiology and have come to find that I really enjoyed it. However, I must be realistic in considering if I should apply to Radiology residencies. I would like to ask you all, simply, do I have a chance? I know there is no way I can get into a top program, but are there some programs that would give my application a second look and of so, which programs would you recommend? Location is of no importance although I would prefer in the South. Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you seen the movie dumb and dumber? Remember the part where Jim Carrey asks the chick about his chances of getting with her? When I heard your story, that's what came to mind. I don't mean that as a joke either. You can still apply, but make sure you have a back up plan.

So your telling me there's a chance.......ALRIGHT!

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
chumbojumbo said:
Hello Everyone,

I am a 3rd year medical student. I am an FMG. I scored 194 on the Step 1. I have done an elective in Diagnostic Radiology and have come to find that I really enjoyed it. However, I must be realistic in considering if I should apply to Radiology residencies. I would like to ask you all, simply, do I have a chance? I know there is no way I can get into a top program, but are there some programs that would give my application a second look and of so, which programs would you recommend? Location is of no importance although I would prefer in the South. Thank you for your help.

You can always do a visiting elective at a smaller program in the South, but with low boards you have a near impossible uphill battle. If you can get some research under your belt, you may have a shot at a small program that has taken FMG's in the past. You need to have serious backup plans unfortunately, but don't let that disuade you from applying to radiology broadly and going for it.

yes, well that is what I am looking into. Does anyone have the names of these "smaller" programs? Also, how much would it matter if i scored higher on step 2?

chumbojumbo said:
yes, well that is what I am looking into. Does anyone have the names of these "smaller" programs? Also, how much would it matter if i scored higher on step 2?

http://p220.ezboard.com/fdermatologyfrm29.showMessage?topicID=667.topic

This might offer you a little hope. I think the key point here is to apply to a **** load of programs...like >60. For you, I don't think we need to tell you the names of specific "smaller" programs. Apply everywhere if you really want rads.