Looking for some advice on aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENT2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some advice given my situation. I have been looking at old threads about away rotations but I don't really see any recent ones similar to my own. I am a 3rd year DO student and scored above 260 on step 1, and around 800 on COMLEX (99.9th percentile), have honors grades in obgyn, surgery, medicine, HP in peds. I have 3 first author publications on pub med so far (one ENT related) and working on more, a poster presentation from a highly involved original research project, and am ranked in the top 5 of my class. I have become highly interested in an academic career during medical school as I love to teach and I love to work on the complicated cases. I know that being a DO puts me at a big disadvantage despite my otherwise seemingly competitive application. I know the historically AOA accred. residencies would be open to me but I would truly love to train at an academic institution. Does anyone have any advice on programs I should consider for away rotations? I would appreciate any other advice as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just an MS4 applying currently, so take it for what it's worth, but you have a solid application overall. The one catch is the DO. What I would recommend is do aways at places you would like to be a resident. Show them that you are a good fit and put give it 110% to try and impress any faculty. As a DO, I am afraid that is the only way to get into non-AOA residency programs. Unless you somehow have a connection that would make phone calls/emails on your behalf prior to interview offers. It's going to be tough, and next year match rate is be tricky as well given the unmatched applicants this year will likely reapply. I would also prep for a backup specialty, namely Anes or Gen Surg as good options that are more favorable to DO applicants.

I'm in private practice and a bit away from academics, but an MD grad. You can look at "past residents" to see if they have any DO grads. I would apply to DO and MD programs for your away. An MD program isn't going to accept you and then not actually consider you for their program. I'm not sure how the fellowships work with regards to DOs in MD programs, but Head & Neck and Peds sometimes have unfilled spots, so you can do a fellowship to put you on the academic path (which you'd probably need anyway). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an MS4 applying currently, so take it for what it's worth, but you have a solid application overall. The one catch is the DO. What I would recommend is do aways at places you would like to be a resident. Show them that you are a good fit and put give it 110% to try and impress any faculty. As a DO, I am afraid that is the only way to get into non-AOA residency programs. Unless you somehow have a connection that would make phone calls/emails on your behalf prior to interview offers. It's going to be tough, and next year match rate is be tricky as well given the unmatched applicants this year will likely reapply. I would also prep for a backup specialty, namely Anes or Gen Surg as good options that are more favorable to DO applicants.
Thank you for the advice and best of luck in the upcoming match! I know you'll end up somewhere really great.

I'm in private practice and a bit away from academics, but an MD grad. You can look at "past residents" to see if they have any DO grads. I would apply to DO and MD programs for your away. An MD program isn't going to accept you and then not actually consider you for their program. I'm not sure how the fellowships work with regards to DOs in MD programs, but Head & Neck and Peds sometimes have unfilled spots, so you can do a fellowship to put you on the academic path (which you'd probably need anyway). Good luck!
That is pretty much exactly my plan. The backup plan with the H&N fellowship is also a really great idea, especially as it is a subspecialty I'm very interested in anyway. Thanks for taking the time to advise me!

A current intern of UPenn ENT is a DO. He did 7 aways and worked his butt off. Maybe reach out to him. You can find his info on their website

I completed a DO ENT residency in 2018. Wouldn't change it for the world. I recommend applying to both. Your chances of getting in will still be higher on the DO side. You have great scores and accomplishments, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Agree with the above. Of note there are some historical DO programs that are training at large academic institutions. The four to five off the top of my head (I don’t know about the others, so don’t take offense if they are not included- these are the ones at large academic institutions) :

The great news is you don’t have to be worried of being pulled from the allopathic match anymore if you match to a historically “DO” program.

W
1. Detroit Medical Center:
-Only D.O. Is the program director. The rest of the faculty are M.D.s.
-Peds Heavy program @ Children’s Hospital of Michigan. They have 5 attendings (on Peds side) and do big time cases w/o a fellowship currently. Although, this may change in the years to come.
-On staff neurotolgist that’s half employed by Michigan Ear Insitute and the DMC. Operate w/ her every Friday where the residents do the cases.
-All didactic and some clinical stuff is combined with the Wayne State ENT program. They are becoming closer to what happened with Rutgers and Barnabas where they combined.
-Strong Trauma training now that they take primary trauma call .
-They are busy. Cover 7 campuses. Most of which is on the downtown DMC campus.

2. Rutgers/Barnabas.
-The two programs (traditional allopathic/osteopathic) actually just combined and is now one progra.
-Like the above. A very strong program w/ heavy emphasis on facial plastics.

3. PCOM:
-Again, one of the only D.O.s on staff is the PD. Aside from that, all MD attendings.
-Have Dr. Sataloff as their main attending so probably very laryngology heavy. Also Dr. Amanda Ho
-Strong on Peds also at St. Christopher but not as much ear cases as above.
-I Believe they do didactic at Temple but don’t quote me on that.
-Overall, very strong .

4. Dayton Ohio (Kettering/Miami Valley: Wright State University).
-Only ENT program in the City.
-Work with 30+ M.D. attendings.
-Strong Ear experience and heavy operative experience.
-Didactics needs improvement
-Covers 5-6 hospitals also.

5. St Johns.
-Dr. Babu from MEI took the program over a few years back.
- Cover 5-6 hospitals
-Great didactics
-Great operative experience.
-Covers Peds for MPENTA at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak
-Overall solid program.

Last edited: