Looking for PGY1 pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitochondrion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a PGY1 pathology position that someone is going to abort? I did not get any of the places on my match list and my faxing skills were not fast enough for the scramble. I had applied for CP-only but would be happy with a combined AP/CP as long as it's not in the south or in a rural area.

Members don't see this ad.

mitochondrion said:

Its pointless to post here. This isnt the place, for one this is filled with med students! They have zero clot, who are we kidding? Residents have zero clot. You need to talk with bigger whigs than post here my friend, and without knowing the full story Id say this year you are SOL...thats shiat outta luck. Do a research project and try again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the scramble has been over for a week now and I would suspect that most or all of the positions have been filled by now. As LADoc00 said, I would suggest that you talk to attending-level people to see what the word on the street is regarding any existing openings right now. Either that or try applying again next year.

Sorry to hear about your situation and I wish you the best of luck.

as long as it's not in the south or in a rural area.

Sheesh, what's with all the hatred of the south lately. I grew up in the north and now live in the south and really, there ain't that much difference unless you consider the weather. A rural small town in Texas is pretty much the same as a rural small town in Wisconsin. And citywise, you can get pretty much anything in dallas, houston, or atlanta that you can get in the north.

Pingu said:
Sheesh, what's with all the hatred of the south lately. I grew up in the north and now live in the south and really, there ain't that much difference unless you consider the weather. A rural small town in Texas is pretty much the same as a rural small town in Wisconsin. And citywise, you can get pretty much anything in dallas, houston, or atlanta that you can get in the north.

I always thought the phrase was "Beggars cant be choosers"....not "Look at me, Im a choosey beggar" but I have no idea as Ive officially branded myself insane to the medical board. :laugh:

Maybe in the past it was different but most of the nations been homogenized. And if I can have 80 degree weather in February, I'm going to live there. Plus when the next ice age comes, the north will be uninhabitable, and then all the yankees are going to come crying to us!

Pingu said:
Maybe in the past it was different but most of the nations been homogenized. And if I can have 80 degree weather in February, I'm going to live there. Plus when the next ice age comes, the north will be uninhabitable, and then all the yankees are going to come crying to us!

What about global warming? I did read somewhere, though, that global warming may make North America COLDER. I have no idea how.

mitochondrion said:
Does anyone know of a PGY1 pathology position that someone is going to abort? I did not get any of the places on my match list and my faxing skills were not fast enough for the scramble. I had applied for CP-only but would be happy with a combined AP/CP as long as it's not in the south or in a rural area.

try Find a Resident:

https://services.aamc.org/findaresident/

Pingu said:
No way, man. I keep getting **** from people outside of WA for my views on healthcare. Apparently my school is more "liberal" than most. :rolleyes:

jeff2005 said:

Thank you, Jeff. This is useful information, as I'd been wondering about find a resident vis-a'-vis pathology given that there are relatively few positions. I spoke with a PD today who told me that PDs pass around an electronic list of available positions. Do you know if the positions from that list make it quickly only the find a resident list? That would tell me if it's worth it.

As for the person who wrote about beggers not being choosy and about the south: My initial post should not be taken as an insult on the south and you should note that I did not give my reasons for seeking a residency in a northern urban area. But by now I know where I want to be located and this will be 3 or 4 years of my life, so I want to go where I'd want to live. That's why I was selective on my ERAS in the first place. On the other hand if a position does become available and I like the location then of course I'd rather begin the program then to wait a year.

Pingu said:
Maybe in the past it was different but most of the nations been homogenized. And if I can have 80 degree weather in February, I'm going to live there.

I couldn't agree more - most cities with a population of 500,000+ in the US are more similar than different. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area (which is replete with elitists who wouldn't dream of leaving), I would have been perfectly happy to spend the next four years training in the South. It'll be nice to escape the frigid Midwest... bring on those 80 degree days! :cool: