Looking for people to review my book, "... Getting Into Medical School"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to apologize for the duplication of this message. I've posted it in several forums in an attempt to solicit as many readers as possible.

Over the past month I've been working on a mini book entitled The Not So Short Introduction to Getting Into Medical School. The results of my work are available online at http://plaza.ufl.edu/aycock/medshort/medshort.pdf. I am asking for as many reviewers as possible. I want to edit the manuscript to make it a readable and easy to follow as possible. Any mistakes, suggestions, points of clarification, etc... are helpful. Just be as specific as possible. Don't say, "Expand the section on re-applying." Instead, give me a page number and what exactly you want to see. I will give an acknowledgement to anyone who causes a change. Further, please send suggestions via email to aycock <at> phys <dot> ufl <dot> edu rather than via PM or replies on the message board. That way, I'll be sure to get them---and not risk over loading my PM box or missing something on the message boards.

Also, if you would like to write a section or full chapter as a guest author, let me know. I will give you credit, too. I would love to get input on MSTP programs, military medicine, Caribbean schools---basically anything that is not in the book.

The final form of this book will remain free and accessible through the Creative Commons License. For now, however, I ask that you do not distribute it until I am finished editing it.

Finally, the book was written in LaTeX---the source code being available at http://plaza.ufl.edu/aycock/medshort/. If you know the language, please use it in making suggestions. If not, I'll take care of the details.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the deal with the title, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Why should I be your free editor?

What do I get out of it? I'm already in.

And BTW, that title really does bite.

Members don't see this ad :)
AStudent said:
Why should I be your free editor?

What do I get out of it? I'm already in.

And BTW, that title really does bite.

jeez people, if you don't to read it, don't read it. no need to be an a-hole about it.

pillowhead said:
jeez people, if you don't to read it, don't read it. no need to be an a-hole about it.

If the OP didn't expect to get those kinds of responses, he hasn't been paying attention to the site much. Personally, I'll skim through it when I have some time and check it out.

SDN, the place where you "should know better" because you're sure to get a--hole reponses to your posts. Great slogan, eh?

I think people should stop ripping on the OP, as he/she has taken the time to put together a lot of interesting material... and what are YOU kids doing, besides posting two-line insults on an internet forum?

Check your ufl email, deuist. I sent you some comments on the book.

deuist said:
First off, I want to apologize for the duplication of this message. I've posted it in several forums in an attempt to solicit as many readers as possible.

Over the past month I've been working on a mini book entitled The Not So Short Introduction to Getting Into Medical School. The results of my work are available online at http://plaza.ufl.edu/aycock/medshort/medshort.pdf. I am asking for as many reviewers as possible. I want to edit the manuscript to make it a readable and easy to follow as possible. Any mistakes, suggestions, points of clarification, etc... are helpful. Just be as specific as possible. Don't say, "Expand the section on re-applying." Instead, give me a page number and what exactly you want to see. I will give an acknowledgement to anyone who causes a change. Further, please send suggestions via email to aycock <at> phys <dot> ufl <dot> edu rather than via PM or replies on the message board. That way, I'll be sure to get them---and not risk over loading my PM box or missing something on the message boards.

Also, if you would like to write a section or full chapter as a guest author, let me know. I will give you credit, too. I would love to get input on MSTP programs, military medicine, Caribbean schools---basically anything that is not in the book.

The final form of this book will remain free and accessible through the Creative Commons License. For now, however, I ask that you do not distribute it until I am finished editing it.

Finally, the book was written in LaTeX---the source code being available at http://plaza.ufl.edu/aycock/medshort/. If you know the language, please use it in making suggestions. If not, I'll take care of the details.

ddmoore54 said:
What's the deal with the title, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Yep, the first time you look at the title you think to yourself, "That's a strange title." Then the realize that the book is only 60+ pages long. It's a short introduction to the application process; but at 60 pages, it's not that short.

Also, since the project was written in LaTeX, I borrowed the title of the world's best book on learning LaTeX, The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX.