Looking for guidance. Do I need more credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quintomedic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just looking for some guidance if I've reached the point for reinvention and need to look at an SMP. I've used Goro's reinvention guide, but would like some advice on my specific stats. Thanks in advanced.

I have a BS in marketing. I have designated my last 40 credit hours as a post bacc 2.0, because at one point in my life I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I work now as a paramedic in an ER as well as on an ambulance.

Clinical Volunteering: 2500 hours
Clinical Employment 9100 hours
No research

Trend.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken all your medical school prerequisites? If not, what do you still need to take?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken all prerequisites except Orgo II. Planning on taking that this fall 2021.

I might suggest taking another few upper-division science courses, if you can, to get your cGPA above a 3.0. That could make your life a little easier in terms of avoiding auto screens. From there, DO programs (especially newer ones) are not out of the question with a strong MCAT. There are success stories on here of nontrads with low cGPAs, yet strong upward trends, getting accepted to DO and even MD once in awhile. Also, certain MD schools weigh your most recent grades very heavily - unless it’s changed since I applied, I think Wayne State only considers your last 40ish credits.

Ultimately, your success will hinge on a high MCAT and strong ECs. Your clinical experience looks great; how are you doing in terms of non-clinical community service? Any demographics of note - SES, URM, military? Do you have a compelling narrative?

If you have put together a solid application and apply broadly to DO/maybe your state MD, you might be able to get in without the benefit of an SMP. You can always reconsider attending an SMP program later on, should you not be successful on your first application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I might suggest taking another few upper-division science courses, if you can, to get your cGPA above a 3.0. That could make your life a little easier in terms of avoiding auto screens. From there, DO programs (especially newer ones) are not out of the question with a strong MCAT. There are success stories on here of nontrads with low cGPAs, yet strong upward trends, getting accepted to DO and even MD once in awhile. Also, certain MD schools weigh your most recent grades very heavily - unless it’s changed since I applied, I think Wayne State only considers your last 40ish credits.

Ultimately, your success will hinge on a high MCAT and strong ECs. Your clinical experience looks great; how are you doing in terms of non-clinical community service? Any demographics of note - SES, URM, military? Do you have a compelling narrative?

If you have put together a solid application and apply broadly to DO/maybe your state MD, you might be able to get in without the benefit of an SMP. You can always reconsider attending an SMP program later on, should you not be successful on your first application cycle.
That’s what I was thinking and planning to do. Looking at least another full semester this fall and perhaps in the spring 2022 if necessary. I was hoping ideally to take the MCAT January 2022, for a goal of applying next cycle. Obviously if my GPA is sufficient to not get auto screened out.

I do not have any non-clinical volunteering hours. I am single, female sole income provider, can identify as URM (mother is hispanic), first generation college graduate (depending on how the college defines it, my mother received her bachelors from a different country. I’ve been told that I am first generation and others have told me I am not).

I guess the issue is to find a compelling story without sounding cliche. My mother had a tumor on her brain stem when I was young, but I wouldn’t say that is the driving force because it was all pretty scary from the viewpoint of a 7 year old. I know the reasons why I want medicine versus nursing or PA, etc. I’ve played in the sandbox long enough to have a good idea about the roles everyone plays. I’m okay with the training time and responsibilities that MDs/DOs have.

Last edited: