Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disharmony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a confused situation and need some advice. It looks like in all likelihood I won't get into dental school this cycle. I applied to six schools, one of which I just interviewed at, though I feel as if I didn't adequately sell myself, two that haven't yet offered an interview and at this point most likely won't, and three I was rejected from (one of which I interviewed at). I know that my gpa was pretty average (regular = 3.51, sGPA = 3.44) but I did very well on my DAT with 25 aa. I'm pretty sure my lack of success is due to my late AADSAS submission (mailed to schools early September), lack of research, minimal volunteering hours (less than 100 total), and a very poor first interview.
I'm about to complete my undergrad, and if I don't get into a dental school I have no idea what I would/should do between now to prepare for when I reapply, assuming I don't get into the school I recently interviewed at. I have a general idea of what I can improve on because I know what areas were weak in my application, and any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just shadow a bit more, volunteer and thats it really. You just applied a bit late, even with a high DAT. Make sure you look through the ADEA book and pick schools that you have a good chance at (out of state schools with higher than average out of state students). Throw in a few that you really want just to make sure you don't wonder about it later.

And really, just enjoy your year off. Try not to feel bad. Theres no time line. Live up the next year, make lots of memories, make a list of things you want to do. Prolonging my DAT and applying a cycle later was the best choice I made. Not as drained during school and had a lot of fun before I moved for school.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't get in this cycle try research for a year and reapply.. depending on which schools you're applying to, your lack of research experience could have been a significant negative in your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is optional, it does not have a negative impact on your application unless you apply to a dental school that receives funding through research stipends ie. UPenn.

You have above average stats which confuses me. Maybe you should have applied to more schools or continue to shadow/volunteer more hours. Or possibly you should look over your personal statement and LORs.

Most importantly, stay positive because you still have February and March left to be invited for an interview in the remaining two schools.

I know this is redundant since everyone already said it, but shadow , volunteer, and APPLY EARLY. You have an awesome DAT, and respectable GPA. Broaden your school choices. 10-12 schools and I can see you getting at least 4-5 interviews. Research is not necessary for most schools (some of the Ivys might want it though). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user