looking at doing something for the 2nd half of my 2nd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
to start preparing for the boards, but not very active.

I won't be taking Step I until January 2005 most likely.
I'll be done with my clinical sciences though at the end of August. I am thinking of possibly getting Step Up to the bedside or Pathophysiology for the boards and wards and working through one of those weekly.

Ive seen step up tot he bedside and see it has integrated case studies. Im thinking I could work 1 or 2 a week and go over teh concepts each case introduces.

Our bookstore doesn't carry pathophysiology for the boards and wards so I dont know much about it except what is written on amazon.com

anyone have any experience with either of these books? or suggestions?

I know I dont want to pick up a brs biochem book and just start reading it. I think Id like something that helps me integrate things a little more.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking of getting First Aid? I'd say that's a must.

And in case I didn't understand you correctly, you're taking Step 1 AFTER third year begins?

Ive got 1st aid already and love it :)

and not really after 3rd begins. I go to Ross. So our terms don't match up exactly with those of the states.

Basically, we have a mandatory 5th semester where its an advanced introduction to clinical sciences. Something US students get in their 2nd year (or both?). But since we live on a volcano, good for roasting marshmellows, there is no real opportunity to get that kind of exposure down here. So we get 2 months of it in the US. Afterwards we're given time to study prepare for the USMLE. Then we start our clinicals.

5th is kind of an inbetween 2nd and 3rd year and doesn't correlate too much with either year.

Question is, Im looking for a clinical case questions book. Something I can work over slowly to refresh my mind in some of the subjects I took in 1st year. And to help really integrate thing as well.

Both Step-Up for USMLE Step 1 and the Bedside are good. However, if you want Step 1-specific vignettes, have you thought about the Underground Clinical Vignettes series? Written by the same folks who wrote First Aid.