Longest/Hardest Name of a Medication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm designing a t-shirt for our college. I wanted to know the names of some medications which are unusually long or are really hard to pronounce.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm designing a t-shirt for our college. I wanted to know the names of some medications which are unusually long or are really hard to pronounce.
Thanks!

Try- phenazopyridine, ondansetron, hydrochloroquinone, azathioprine, polyethylene glycol (PEG), medroxyprogesterone, methylprednisolone,

this is fun :laugh:

Most generics which are not out in the market have mouthful names, especially the ones for HIV and cancer. Go to drugs.com and look for new approved drug names on the first page ...

You could give the full name of any peptide drug but that would be very repetitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the longest, hardest medication in my pants :)

Had to make that joke. But seriously, patients have a hard time with hydrochlorothiazide, and I concur with levetiracetam. Also hydroxychloroquine.

How about n-acetyl-paraaminophenol? This is the chemical name for APAP, in case people didn't know.

basiliximab
anti-thymocyte globulin

Members don't see this ad :)
The generic name for Singulair gave me trouble: Montelukast

Abciximab is a fun one. A lot of the mab drugs can be tricky. Pegaspargase always looks cool to me. Same with rasburicase.

I am lurking from the pre-pharm board, but I love this! And since I'm sitting in my hospitals PO section let me look around...
1. Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim ( I just call this Sulfa-trim)
However, I always say bisacodyl and fluticasone wrong.

Dexchlorpheniramine?

Though not a drug name you can use a parent ring structure such as Cyclopentanoperhydrophenanthrene (just a bit long)

Propylthiouracil
Diphenylhydantoin (aka phenytoin)
Ansolysen (a long-obsolete blood pressure drug)

I've seen hydralazine, naproxen, and chlorthalidone used as National Spelling Bee words, and even the word "pharmacist" in an early, non-televised round. That youngster got it wrong. :oops:

Even though they're not medications, investigational compounds have crazy difficult names. In journal club recently, there was a paper about N-((8-hydroxy-7-quinolinyl) (4-methylphenyl)methyl)benzamide. Authors had to call it HQBA for short.

And have you seen what AMPA -- as in AMPA receptors -- stands for??? (And yes, I know this thread is over one year old, so the OP won't need my suggestions anymore).

Sticking with the chemical names, there is dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane- DDT for short. My sixth grade science teacher gave us extra credit for learning how to spell that, and it has stuck ever since.

How about isometheptenemucate dichloralphenazone acetaminophen or better yet u always have fockitol 500mg

Years ago I would have nominated:

Dioctylsodiumsulfosuccinate, but they went and changed the name to Docusate because nobody could pronounce it. It was also called DSS. At the present tme I cant for the life of me pronounce that homeopathic flu medication:
Oscillococcinum

Years ago I would have nominated:

Dioctylsodiumsulfosuccinate, but they went and changed the name to Docusate because nobody could pronounce it. It was also called DSS. At the present tme I cant for the life of me pronounce that homeopathic flu medication:
Oscillococcinum

All the Cs are pronounces with an "S" except for the second one.

Ahsilluhmkossinum

Thiazolidinedione is really hard to say for somebody who hasn't heard it pronounced before. Now, I know it's not a drug (but rather a drug class), but still... Fun to watch people try.

Thiazolidinedione is really hard to say for somebody who hasn't heard it pronounced before. Now, I know it's not a drug (but rather a drug class), but still... Fun to watch people try.
I have a running joke with a classmate that I'm going to name my kids thiazolidinedione and oxazolidinone.

Zirtek, interesting spelling. Also paracetamol :laugh:
Well, not everyone's from the States. :laugh:

Heck, Allegra is Telfast over there... It was weird seeing the same packaging style but a different name when I had to purchase some. Since I was in Hong Kong, I thought I was buying a fake medicine for a bit! :scared:

Well, not everyone's from the States. :laugh:

Heck, Allegra is Telfast over there... It was weird seeing the same packaging style but a different name when I had to purchase some. Since I was in Hong Kong, I thought I was buying a fake medicine for a bit! :scared:
A few of my friends went on spring break to Mexico, and they got pictures with a bottle of Atorvastatina. Apparently Lipitor was a female product.

A few of my friends went on spring break to Mexico, and they got pictures with a bottle of Atorvastatina. Apparently Lipitor was a female product.

I thought the article determined the gender.

But it is kinda funny that the name translated over that way. Makes you wonder if levothyroxin is... wait for it... levothyroxina.

Indeed it does, but in this case, we don't see "La Atorvastina" or "El", for that matter. I'm not entirely sure, but I think since it is a noun and ends with an "a" instead of an "o", we automatically assume it is a feminine noun.

Pero, no se.

Did someone already say eptifibatide?

ep-TIF-i-ba-tide

Also a quick pronunciation tip (something I observed so take it with a grain of salt):

If a drug name has four syllables, stress the second (met-O-pro-lol)

If a drug name has five syllables, stress the third (cy-clo-BEN-za-prine)

Of course there are exceptions...

The word oxyphenbutazone holds the title for the highest possible score for a single play under American tournament Scrabble rules, scoring 1,780 points across three triple-word-score squares, joining seven tiles to eight already played tiles. The word was played by Micheal Cresta.

I say ep-tee-fy-buh-tide :shrug:

I've heard that before too. Lexi-comp will pronounce drug names and I usually go with their pronunciation but how do we know they have it right? Is there a scientific pronunciation reference they have that isn't published? Haha