Long Island/NYC residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJG

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently applying to peds residency programs in the LI/NYC area and was wondering if anyone had any advice to help me with making my rank list. I have some of my own info and I know the usual advice of going with my gut feeling, but was wondering if anyone had anything to share re: reputation or their own feelings on the programs...

In particular I'm looking at LIJ/North Shore, Stony Brook, Winthrop, Nassau University, Mamonides, SUNY Downstate, LICH St. Vincent's, Cornell, NYU, AE-Montefiore, AE-Jacobi, NYMed/Westchester Medical Center, and in New Jersey - UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick)..
Thanks for your help!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Of the ones I did visit, this would be my ranking:
Maimonides
SUNY Downstate
LICH

I didn't go to the others, so my impressions are cursory at best. I would point out that location and program quality among those you listed varies widely. Do you want to be in the city? in the suburbs? University vs. community vs. children's hospital? The patient population, the environment, etc. are likely to be very different, and you might prefer one of the other.

Manhattan: NYU, Cornell, St. Vincent's
Bronx/Brooklyn: AE-Montefiore, AE-Jacobi, Winthrop
Suburbs: LIJ/North Shore, Stony Brook, NYMed/Westchester Medical Center, UMDNJ/Robert Wood Johnson (New Brunswick), Nassau University

Ultimately, you know where you felt most comfortable.

Thanks for the advice! :)

In particular, I was looking to see what other people thought about the LI programs..
BTW, Winthrop is on LI in the suburbs..

Indeed it is.

Not having visited any of these, I'd take my ranking with a huge grain of salt--largely based on second-hand info etc--but here's my impression:

LIJ/North Shore (Schneider's, right?)
Stony Brook
Winthrop
Nassau University