Locum tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottj00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with locum tenens? If so how did they work for ortho? I can see doing them in ER, Anes, even Family but how do they work in surgical specialties? Do you just take call/trauma or what?

Members don't see this ad.

I was also curious about this...
is it common for physicians, once they've retired or semi-retired, to do locum tenens? I think that would be a nice & satisfying way to do some of the work you still enjoy but only part time-still bring in a bit of a paycheck but have more time with family.

How does this work and is it common?

Thanks.

I know a couple ortho guys who have done locums and they had widely different experiences. One went to a small town and basically, all they wanted him to do was see clinic patients and deal with any emergencies that came up related to the clinic. Basically, they wanted him to babysit the clinic for a week. They did not have him take call and he ended up doing one case for a septic joint.

The other guy went to an inner city hospital. They had just lost 2 of their staff orthopedists, who were employees of the hospital. This guy ended up doing trauma (ortho) shifts. I heard the story second=hand, but I believe they were 24 hr shifts, wanted him to do like 3 a week.

I don't think it's true locum, but we have a brilliant 'pod who sees clinic twice a week and operates once a week, with one of the other staff guys managing his inpatients.