Locking your bike

DLi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that a bicycle is an excellent means to travel especially in a huge campus like UF. But I've also heard that bike theft is also very common.

So what kind of lock should I use and how should I lock my bike to keep it from being stolen? I know UF has its own little building where they would fix your bike for free, so I don't have to worry much about maintenance. But you can't fix a bike if you don't know where it is.

Members don't see this ad.

get a U-Lock.
and make sure the buy you own has a quick-release style front wheel.
Then take your wheel off, place it next to your frame, and lock wheel+frame around secure structure.
bike thefts are common in a lot of college towns. Do not invest more than hundred bucks into your bike. Think "Huffy."

Many around here use bikes - no need to pop the wheel off if you don't want to (most around here don't). Maybe it's a good idea if you're going to be in the library for a long amount of time, but a 50 minute class doesn't really need this.

Just lock your bike to the rail (wheel and frame) and you should be fine. But definitely don't just leave it without a lock.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many around here use bikes - no need to pop the wheel off if you don't want to (most around here don't). Maybe it's a good idea if you're going to be in the library for a long amount of time, but a 50 minute class doesn't really need this.

Just lock your bike to the rail (wheel and frame) and you should be fine. But definitely don't just leave it without a lock.

good point admiral! the front wheel is not a huge target unless its late at night and no one is around. So you probably won't be disassembling that too often (although it might be a good idea if you have to keep your bike outside your dorm overnight)

as for my own past experience, I used my racing bicycle most of the time i rode around campus. I never locked it up anywhere, I brought it everywhere I went...which meant I took it into a lot of classrooms too. I was a lifeguard and parked it in the storage room at my pool as well. I NEVER left that puppy out in the open for more than ten seconds.
However, I also had a regular crappy bike that I rode from time to time as well. This one was "owned by the pool lifeguards" though...lots of crazy stories with that one! We gave it Hell....
Oh...and another mode of transportation I used quite often was the LongBoard! These are tons of fun! If your campus has decent sidewalks, this could be a great investment as well.

I agree with the U-lock, but when it comes down to it, if someone wants your bike THAT bad, they can pretty much cut just about any lock. I wouldn't worry about it, just lock your bike up in a place that is either meant for it, or in plain view of others, because if you lock it up in, say, a back alley behind a dorm it's clearly easier to steal.

I would take the front wheel off only if you are leaving it locked up over night; otherwise it seems like it would be a nuisance.

what about a skateboard? can you bring that into the lecture hall?

You can at my campus.

OP, another alternative to the easy release tire is an odd sized allen wrench bolt, you can pick them up at most bike stores. This way you don't have to keep popping off your tire and you can generally just lock up your bike without all the tire mess.

I agree with the above poster though. I watched a police video where they had criminals give back to the community by teaching them how to ensure bike safety and it didn't matter what bike lock they used, these guys had the bikes unhooked in <30 seconds. So, go "huffy" like the other poster said.

most definitely!
i never had a problem doing this. Even my longboard was okay. I just set it up in a corner of the room. Just keep things out of people's way, and you shouldn't have a problem. Half the time, if you're smooth enough, the professor won't even notice your bike/longboard is in the room.
If you are concerned about space being a factor though, you might benefit from directly asking the professor if you can bring your ride inside.

Get a Jetpack. Contact your Local Jetpack Licensure board for an exam. Usually, it can be taken in conjunction with your drivers license exam. I have had a jetpack and I have used to go to school with it. Just make sure you have the liecensure and don't go more than 40km/h or the police might call a helicopter.

Get a Jetpack. Contact your Local Jetpack Licensure board for an exam. Usually, it can be taken in conjunction with your drivers license exam. I have had a jetpack and I have used to go to school with it. Just make sure you have the liecensure and don't go more than 40km/h or the police might call a helicopter.

One of these days...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDlOXhMiP18&feature=response_watch[/youtube]

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go for the u-lock and some cheap looking bike that no one would want to steal.

So what about keeping it overnight?

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go for the u-lock and some cheap looking bike that no one would want to steal.

So what about keeping it overnight?

I wouldn't trust it outside. I keep mine in my apartment.

Get a cheap lightweight bike so you can lift it up the stairs if need be and keep it in your apartment overnight. Some of my neighbors leave their bikes locked to the gate overnight but I feel better knowing it's in my living room and there's no surprises waiting outside. Plus everyone knows the way to have a classy college living room is to decorate it with bikes :D

Agree with dr. matt that for every lock there will be a way around it. So get a bike that isn't worth stealing. I got an ugly bike and painted it another color :)

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the ugly bike?

Leave your bike outside at your own risk.

Here is what one looks like outside my place as we speak that was left out overnight (this isn't it, but same idea).

SuperStock_1613R-18194.jpg

Lol no, my bike is still ugly, but it used to have an ugly color too ;)
It might also be important to note that what I consider a pretty color is probably not what everyone considers a nice color :p

point is don't leave expensive things in view. This goes for bikes, bags/items in your car, leaving your house with the drapes open showing a huge awesome sound system, etc.

What color did you paint it? Is it like a grimy green color?