Loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EosDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Canadians who are currently applying or attending any Irish medical schools, which loans are available to students. The application asks us to be as specific as possible about how we will finance school.

thanks I

Members don't see this ad.

teri will give you $25000 usd without a cosignor (but this isn't enough to cover tuition) or $45000 with a cosignor.

bank of montreal and royal bank have professional student lines of credit that foreign med students like us are eligible for. they give you $130000 cdn or something like that. bank of montreal gives you $30000 x 4 years, plus an additional $12500 a year for the first 2 years of residency.

royal bank i think lets you decide how much you want each year, bit more flexible, which is nice, but i'm not sure about this.

for god's sake if you're applying for the teri/canhelp loan, make sure you send the forms to atlantic bridge, not directly to teri as they will get processed faster and with way fewer headaches. there are people in my class who still haven't gotten their teri loans yet!!! these people did not go through atlantic bridge.

bank of montreal's line of credit requires a cosignor while royal bank's doesn't. just another thought to consider. plus royal bank will give you a $5000 visa.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
As above, I am not a citizen of Canada, just a permanent resident, would I be eligible for all those loans you guys mentioned ? That seems quite a lot money to me. Thanks so much.

What are the loans for US residents applying for Ireland Med Schools

a US citizen as more options - Stafford - 18,500$, TERI and I know a whole host of others. You just google it and loads come up. For $$$, you gotta do some of the legwork yourself too. I'm a Canadian and have no clue what your bank can do, i.e. line of credit, credit card.

Also, with a student visa in Ireland, you are allowed to work up to a certain number of hours per week (not sure if it's 10 or 20 - I'm sure it could be "distributed" otherwise) and maybe in the summer.

www.teri.org

This link is good for TERI (US) and CanHelp (Canadian version of TERI loan)

-S

your student visa in ireland lets you work up to 20 hours per week during the academic terms and up to 40 hours per week during holidays. but i know people who have jobs during the school term who work more htan 20 hours (just work the extra under the table). plus during the first 2-3 years (depending on if you do the foundation/premed year), you have LOTS of free time to work and study.