Loans/Scholarship/Tuition Reimbursement Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the options for paying for Pharm school? Is it possible to work at all while going? From people I've talked to, most got loans to get through school.

Thanks!

Loans pretty much...

Members don't see this ad.

What are the options for paying for Pharm school? Is it possible to work at all while going? From people I've talked to, most got loans to get through school.

Thanks!

After your first year, you can get scholarships, so apply for those as soon as you can.

Also, you can get tuition assistance from some companies, but you have to go back to work for them after you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Navy has a program where they pay for your school, then you serve as a pharmacist for the amount of years they paid for. I'm going to look into it.

I have two friends that went through the accelerated programs (one at Midwestern and one at USN) and they both highly recommend working while going to school, not only for the income, but because the experience you get will help throughout the program. They were able to work about 15-20 hours a week. One worked for Vons and one for Target as interns (both made around $20/hr).

I have two friends that went through the accelerated programs (one at Midwestern and one at USN) and they both highly recommend working while going to school, not only for the income, but because the experience you get will help throughout the program. They were able to work about 15-20 hours a week. One worked for Vons and one for Target as interns (both made around $20/hr).

:thumbup:

but first make sure that you can handle the school work and also working at the same time.

I think this will be the popular route for most if not all.

Another thing is depending on your school you can expect some grants and fee offsets. For our school, people have gotten somewhere around from 4k to 10 k per year depending on their savings and level of income prior to entering school.

Obviously if you are working right now, a year before entering pharm school, you will get significantly less grant money compared to someone who is not working and is either being supported by parents while finishing their degree or their spouse or taking out loans and etc.

Is it possible for students to get denied loans for pharmacy school if they are already in debt from undergrad, credit card, and a car loan?

Members don't see this ad :)
When will be the perfect time for applying loans, fafsa, and looking for housing? Should I rent a house and share with somebody or should I look for a room for renting? Do all of pharmacy schools require wearing professionally?

I personally like living alone and am willing to pay the extra costs that come with it.

Then I got married and that went out the window :(

Its always better to do FAFSA sooner than later, I make sure to get mine done the April before Fall semester

Submit your Fafsa asap, you may be eligible for certain grants and scholarships, but after undergrad, you will likely get 100% stafford loans. 8500 $ subsidized, 23000 unsubsidized. If you need more, there is the grad plus loan, and other private loans.

Dont rent, thats 700 $ of rent thrown out the door.
Commute from home.

You will dress up only for lab (compounding, kinetics, what have you).

A few schools will require you to dress up every day. When you dress up, it makes you feel all important and special when on the inside, nothing has changed. Isnt that funny?

Look up your school's priority date. They can vary wildly. For instance, at UIC it is March 1.

I was accepted by second choice school and on the waiting list of first choice school. If I apply for fafsa and use the code for school that I was accepted, lately the first choice school accepted me. Am I able to change the code? Does it affect anything?

Hey I recently graduated and have been accepted into pharmacy school. I understand that loans have to start being paid back 6 months after graduation. I won't be in school until September 2010. I am wondering if I will be able to defer my loans until I am enrolled as a full time student again. Thanks.

I'm interested in the response to this as well. Too lazy right now to do the research myself :D

I'm in the same situation, and my undergraduate institution advised to appeal to the loan lender and ask them for deferment. Evidently, it's not a rare occasion.

i used to work at pheaa, a student-loan servicing company. yes, most people defer their loans if they still won't be in school after the 6 month grace period but dont want to pay them off yet. like stated above, it's definitely a common option used by many. call your loan servicer and tell them your situation, and they will recommend a deferment or forbearance plan. they deal with this a lot so they know exactly what to do. good luck!

I believe you should be able to defer event if you are not in school. I think you can actually defer anf claim financial hardship as a reason. However, if they reject your reasoning, it is only going to be in repayment for like six months.

I'm pretty sure they'll defer if you show them proof of acceptance and a deposit to hold your seat in pharmacy school. I have some loans from undergrad myself but they keep deferring them indefinitely because I'm still in school. Even if you are non-degree seeking like I was over the summer before my MBA started they will defer them. If you don't plan on taking any classes at all you might have to call them up and let them know what's going on.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Just curious, but I'm guessing you're taking next semester off? Why so, if I may ask?

I've also been accepted for fall 2010 but I plan on staying in school next semester to help stay "sharp" and take some upper level classes to help prepare for pharm school. With this being said, I shoudn't need to deal with any loan defferment plans because I won't be out of school for more than 6 months. Is this correct, anyone??

Thanks in advanced...

you will be fine... I graduated college back in May and I took 3 classes over the summer and they were automatically deferred.

Just curious, but I'm guessing you're taking next semester off? Why so, if I may ask?

I've also been accepted for fall 2010 but I plan on staying in school next semester to help stay "sharp" and take some upper level classes to help prepare for pharm school. With this being said, I shoudn't need to deal with any loan defferment plans because I won't be out of school for more than 6 months. Is this correct, anyone??

Thanks in advanced...

i believe as long as you're in school "at least half-time" then you're okay. that means as long as you're taking the minimum credits to qualify as a part-time student at your school you'll be okay.

Thanks in advanced...

I graduated this semester thats why I wont be in school in the spring.

Hey I recently graduated and have been accepted into pharmacy school. I understand that loans have to start being paid back 6 months after graduation. I won't be in school until September 2010. I am wondering if I will be able to defer my loans until I am enrolled as a full time student again. Thanks.

This is what I did. I went onto there website and filled out a "Loan Deferment" application on the basis that I am unemployed. It worked! You can only do this once your six months grace period ends though. So yeah. Why don't you try that.

This is what I did. I went onto there website and filled out a "Loan Deferment" application on the basis that I am unemployed. It worked! You can only do this once your six months grace period ends though. So yeah. Why don't you try that.

But for this, you still need to pay interest, I believe.

If you are on a deferment because you are still in school, you do not need to pay interest (on subsidized loans).

Ill keep that in mine when June comes around. Thanks! :thumbup:

But for this, you still need to pay interest, I believe.

If you are on a deferment because you are still in school, you do not need to pay interest (on subsidized loans).

I don't mind paying interest. Honestly, I could even start paying back the loans since I am working full time, but I want to save the money I make for when Pharmacy school starts. I need a cushion since I wont be working a lot during the school year.

Does anyone know any stores or hopsitals that offer Tuition reimbursement?

Walgreens has a program that provides a cash stipend while attending pharmacy school, in return for years of service on the back end.

Wal-Mart only offers scholarships to employees that are "returning" to school (after being out at least a year). So if you're already busting your butt and building up debt, you're not worthy. :smuggrin:

Those are the only two companies I'm familiar with.

There are also loan forgiveness programs for pharmacists working in rural areas. Look for this by the state you live in (try the department of health).

Not sure if you're interested in the military, but the US Navy has a program where they pay for your school, then you are a pharmacist in the Navy for the # of years they paid. I think that the Army and Air Force have similar programs. I don't have exact details b/c I'm waiting to get accepted before I talk to a recruiter.

The US Department of Health and Human Services has a booth at every APhA convention trying to get people to join the Indian Health Service, DEA or FDA. You earn rank like the military in the IHS and if you have prior military service, that counts towards your pay scale and time for retirement. It's not glamourous, but you will get loans forgiven for the loss in pay you get being a government worker. You also won't get to go to glamourous locations for work until you have reached a fairly high level. It's an option that not many take, so they are always looking for more people. It's a route I've contemplated as I have 8 years of service already and would start out at a fairly nice pay scale and would only have to serve for 12 years to retire and go to somewhere else.

I only have 10 grand in my bank account. I am at a community college and my parents are currently paying for it. After I am done completing my prereqs, I will applying out of state. I am really trying to not take out a huge loan. My parents will probaby help me pay 1-2 grand a month but I don't think that is enough. There is only one pharmacy school in jersey(rutgers) but i heard it is tough to get in as a transfer. I have no choice but to apply out of state private or public schools. So if the tuition is about 30 k a year and thats not including dorm. How much should i expect to pay per month?. Anyone has any advice

Should i look for cheap out of state school?

also how can i know if the classes im taking will transfer? (im in a community college)

Last edited:
Obama's recent State of the Union address ...

To make college more affordable, this bill will finally end the unwarranted taxpayer subsidies that go to banks for student loans. Instead, let's take that money and give families a $10,000 tax credit for four years of college and increase Pell Grants. And let's tell another one million students that when they graduate, they will be required to pay only 10 percent of their income on student loans, and all of their debt will be forgiven after 20 years -- and forgiven after 10 years if they choose a career in public service, because in the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college.

Though I don't know if that applies to professional schools, Pell Grants are for undergrad and post-bacc only. He hasn't pushed a bill through so maybe they might add provisions including public service from professional students.

Federal loans... the Stafford Loan allows you to take out a max of 33k a year (8,500 subsidized and 24,500 unsubsidized). Then, there is the the Grad Plus loan that allows you to take out as much as 15k a year for personal expenses.

Why dont you just apply in state and pay half that amount for tuition???

Can you get the Stafford and Grad Plus loans at the same time?

Btw, OP, having your parents pay you that extra money a month will help you. I've managed to save more than you by working since college, but I don't have mom and dad to help me. Geez, if they could (not that I'd want them to) I wouldn't be looking to sell my soul with loans which I'd rather do actually than using my savings or using my IRA.