LOA or Year off after Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netramd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to SDN but find the advice on here helpful and steered me on the right path. I am currently a FMG and I am almost done with my 3rd yr. I want to go into Ophthalmology based on my previous experiences. However, research in this field is non-existent in my program. I want to take a year off, do research and apply to Ophtho. However, my question is whether I should take a year off after medical school graduation (no clinical experience for 1 yr before going into residency) or take the year off b/w 3rd and 4th yr and get an LOA on my transcript? Do programs look that I took LOA for research or will they mark me off just looking at LOA on my transcript and my FMG status?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am new to SDN but find the advice on here helpful and steered me on the right path. I am currently a FMG and I am almost done with my 3rd yr. I want to go into Ophthalmology based on my previous experiences. However, research in this field is non-existent in my program. I want to take a year off, do research and apply to Ophtho. However, my question is whether I should take a year off after medical school graduation (no clinical experience for 1 yr before going into residency) or take the year off b/w 3rd and 4th yr and get an LOA on my transcript? Do programs look that I took LOA for research or will they mark me off just looking at LOA on my transcript and my FMG status?

Most FMG just finish up and come back to USA To do their research. I think most programs that have FMG working there do that. I think it probably makes more sense to just graduate and then do the research for financial and logistic reasons mostly. You will have to pick up and move and then go back to wherever you were.

Prelims are sometime competitive to get and they aren't always as impressed as seeing LOA as ophthalmology programs. If you're already an IMG, then it may be looked at with confusion. if they don't use the term "research year" in your deans letter.

Thanks Dr.Zeke, the thing is I am an FMG but I am doing my clinicals in US currently. So I am not bound as much by logistical reasons. As I am planning to apply for next year 2016, I don't know how helpful my research will be if I start next year when I start to apply compared to if I start research this year and apply next year. Therefore, I am wondering if an LOA is worth it if I state it for research purposes. There is no such thing as research year in my school.