LMU MS Biomedical Sciences 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted990763

Hey everyone! I did not see a forum for the LMU MS Biomedical Science incoming Fall class, so I made one! I hope I did this right. I am excited to start!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I have similar stats and looking to apply to the program next year so that's promising. Have you heard anything about this program from students? There seems to be a lot of negative comments on SDN regarding it.

Congrats! I have similar stats and looking to apply to the program next year so that's promising. Have you heard anything about this program from students? There seems to be a lot of negative comments on SDN regarding it.
Thanks! Best of luck when applying next year. I have a few friends that are currently in DCOM and I have crossed path with many in rotations for recent positive feedback. Both said they could name 5+ people in their DCOM class who did the MS program and are doing really well now.

Has anyone heard about the guaranteed interview/acceptance to DCOM from this program? The anatomical sciences and biomedical sciences programs used to offer conditional acceptance, but the details about that seem to have been removed from their website. A current student has told me that after this year, students will be limited to the interview (no conditional acceptance). Can anyone who has talked to admissions this year confirm?

Has anyone heard about the guaranteed interview/acceptance to DCOM from this program? The anatomical sciences and biomedical sciences programs used to offer conditional acceptance, but the details about that seem to have been removed from their website. A current student has told me that after this year, students will be limited to the interview (no conditional acceptance). Can anyone who has talked to admissions this year confirm?
Admissions stated that they got rid of the conditional acceptance tier altogether. The guaranteed interview tier is still in place.

Admissions stated that they got rid of the conditional acceptance tier altogether. The guaranteed interview tier is still in place.
Did they say why? That was a major draw for applicants...

Reactions: 1 user
Did they say why? That was a major draw for applicants...
I agree. And no, no explanation. They just said that most students fall into the guaranteed interview tier anyway and that they've had successful outcomes with that tier, which is of course pretty ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email in December, since I applied to DCOM, offering me to apply for the MS program with different tier programs. According to that email, given my stats, I would qualify for a conditional acceptance to DCOM if I get 3.4 GPA. I just applied to the Anatomical Sciences, hoping to get an A, as my cycle has not turned out the way I hoped.

I got an email in December, since I applied to DCOM, offering me to apply for the MS program with different tier programs. According to that email, given my stats, I would qualify for a conditional acceptance to DCOM if I get 3.4 GPA. I just applied to the Anatomical Sciences, hoping to get an A, as my cycle has not turned out the way I hoped.
I would call them to confirm that the conditional acceptance still applies. It sounds like they removed it after you receive that email, I doubt it would apply if you are enrolling for the fall.

I would call them to confirm that the conditional acceptance still applies. It sounds like they removed it after you receive that email, I doubt it would apply if you are enrolling for the fall.
Thank you, I will definitely make sure, in case I do get accepted. That is pretty much the only reason why I applied to the program, the guaranteed conditional acceptance...

Thank you, I will definitely make sure, in case I do get accepted. That is pretty much the only reason why I applied to the program, the guaranteed conditional acceptance...
Let us know what they say! Out of curiosity sake, are you looking at any other post baccs?

Let us know what they say! Out of curiosity sake, are you looking at any other post baccs?
I did look at only 1 other program and did not get in it. Not sure why, my stats are average for their DO school but something didn't work out. LECOM at Bradenton to be precise. Other than that I'm just retaking the MCAT and going to reapply.

Hi, just want to say I am graduating in this program in May. The guaranteed admission was for our year but they got rid of it for next year. We are not really sure why they got rid of it, the faculty have said it is because few people met the benchmarks, but that dosn't seem to be a good reason. The guaranteed interview is still in affect, and a lot of the class that did not meet the benchmark for guaranteed admission but met the benchmark for the interview still got into DCOM (usually people who didn't have the minimum MCAT but still did good in the classes). I definitely say you should apply to the Anatomical program if you can because there seem to be more options for classes to take for students in AS vs BS. But they might be changing some of the course requirements for next year so things might change.

editing to say I did get into medical school at DCOM and several other DO schools. i think the program paid off for me personally but it is definitely not right for everyone. it is hard but no harder than medical school is going to be, i know some of my classmates went into it thinking they would be able to study full-time for the MCAT while taking classes or that it was going to be an easy 4.0 and it is not. if you are trying to retake the mcat I would do so before you start classes because several of my classmates failed classes or got lower grades and didn't qualify for the guarantees because htey were busy MCAT prepping, or got a lower score on the MCAT because the classes were harder than they expecte. It is possible to meet the marks for the guarantees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, just want to say I am graduating in this program in May. The guaranteed admission was for our year but they got rid of it for next year. We are not really sure why they got rid of it, the faculty have said it is because few people met the benchmarks, but that dosn't seem to be a good reason. The guaranteed interview is still in affect, and a lot of the class that did not meet the benchmark for guaranteed admission but met the benchmark for the interview still got into DCOM (usually people who didn't have the minimum MCAT but still did good in the classs). I definitely say you should apply to the Anatomical program if you can because there seem to be more options for classes to take for students in AS vs BS. But they might be changing some of the course requirements for next year so things might change.
Thank you for sharing! Do you mind if I pm you? I have an interview coming up for the AS program and have a few questions.

Its been kind of silent in this thread. Any recent acceptances to the Masters program? I'm still waiting to hear back on a decision on my application...

Its been kind of silent in this thread. Any recent acceptances to the Masters program? I'm still waiting to hear back on a decision on my application...
I got accepted into the program, let me know in the PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Your boi luke1018! Got accepted!

Does anybody know if there is a facebook group for accepted students?

Has anyone else been accepted this semester? If so, how long did it take you to hear back after the interview?

Has anyone else been accepted this semester? If so, how long did it take you to hear back after the interview?
It took me less than a week (4days), notified via email. However, they did say it can take up to 1-2weeks to find out.

It took me less than a week (4days), notified via email. However, they did say it can take up to 1-2weeks to find out.
Thanks a lot. They did say I'd hear back in a couple of weeks, but lets hope it will be a little sooner.

To those who have been accepted, if your MCAT fell below 500 are you still retaking the MCAT? I'm interested in this program, but it would be unwise to study for the SMP and the MCAT simultaneously.