LMU-DCOM vs NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently finishing a masters at LMU-DCOM and was accepted into the medical school. I was just accepted into NOVA as well and would love updated input.

DCOM pros:
-With LMU-DCOM I'll be able to work as a TA for anatomy, I won't have to take anatomy or neuro anatomy in my first year.
-I'm already here and it's slightly cheaper.
-I already know the professors and have relationships with them.

DCOM cons:
-Rotation sites seems iffy, very high primary care placement (hoping to go into surgery).
-It's extremely rural and I'm married with 3 kids. My poor children are already going crazy.

NOVA pros:
-NOVA feels like a better, more established school.
-Better rotation sites (it would seem).
-Area around the school seems nice enough for small kids and there's lots for my family to do.

NOVA cons:
-Cost of living is high.
-No history with Florida or familiarity with the area.
-Family of 5 is gonna have to cram into a 2 bedroom apartment.

I'm leaning toward NOVA, but I really appreciate your input. Wanna make sure I'm not missing any big red flags with NOVA. I know there are other threads comparing the two schools, but they're consistently a few years old. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a family man, cost of living would be the determining factor for me, all else equal. I realize all else is not equal, just saying. I know for fact my wife and kids would not be ok living in an apartment, let alone 3 kids in one room. Hope you talk it over with them more than anyone!

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
As a family man, cost of living would be the determining factor for me, all else equal. I realize all else is not equal, just saying. I know for fact my wife and kids would not be ok living in an apartment, let alone 3 kids in one room. Hope you talk it over with them more than anyone!

Sent from my LGLS676 using SDN mobile
Thanks for your input! We went down there as a family for the interview and of course they fell in love with the beach. My wife and I told them "you realize we'll be moving into a VERY small place?" They still want to do it. Currently we live in a huge house and all three kids sleep in one bedroom, so it seems doable, but I could see them getting really sick of a small place. Problem is LMU-DCOM is SO RURAL. There's a Walmart, a really gross empty mall with a delapidated movie theater, and that is IT for at least 50 miles. I do worry that the sacrifice of space will wear them down though. Really tough decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! We went down there as a family for the interview and of course they fell in love with the beach. My wife and I told them "you realize we'll be moving into a VERY small place?" They still want to do it. Currently we live in a huge house and all three kids sleep in one bedroom, so it seems doable, but I could see them getting really sick of a small place. Problem is LMU-DCOM is SO RURAL. There's a Walmart, a really gross empty mall with a delapidated movie theater, and that is IT for at least 50 miles. I do worry that the sacrifice of space will wear them down though. Really tough decision!
Indeed, I was shocked by how rural it was when I toured there. Honestly, people will probably tell you NOVA is a better school, and it probably is. And if your family can do the crammed thing then more power to ya. I just know we didn't even apply to NOVA due to cost of living haha.

Good luck and congrats on a great problem to have!

Indeed, I was shocked by how rural it was when I toured there. Honestly, people will probably tell you NOVA is a better school, and it probably is. And if your family can do the crammed thing then more power to ya. I just know we didn't even apply to NOVA due to cost of living haha.

Good luck and congrats on a great problem to have!
Where did you end up going? Just curious.

Congrats on your acceptances, and props for pursuing medical school with a family; I think NSU!

I know little to nothing of DMU, but it sounds like your kids really enjoyed FL. I think the compromise you may make with the smaller living space may be made up for by giving your kids exposure to a more urban setting. Not to say living in a rural area will by any means render children deprived, but there is a lot of fun stuff to do in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/West Palm Beach area; life experience, ya know?

Look at the rotation sites for 3rd and 4rth year students at both schools too... worst comes to worst, you don't like Ft. Lauderdale (or get sick of living in IA), and you can maybe rotate somewhere more desirable? Most of NSU's sites are in FL, though.

Disclaimer: Biased b/c I dig livin' near cities and love hot weather.

EDIT: Substitute DMU for LMU-DCOM when reading; I misread the original post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptances, and props for pursuing medical school with a family; I think NSU!

I know little to nothing of DMU, but it sounds like your kids really enjoyed FL. I think the compromise you may make with the smaller living space may be made up for by giving your kids exposure to a more urban setting. Not to say living in a rural area will by any means render children deprived, but there is a lot of fun stuff to do in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/West Palm Beach area; life experience, ya know?

Look at the rotation sites for 3rd and 4rth year students at both schools too... worst comes to worst, you don't like Ft. Lauderdale (or get sick of living in IA), and you can maybe rotate somewhere more desirable? Most of NSU's sites are in FL, though.

Disclaimer: Biased b/c I dig livin' near cities and love hot weather.
Thanks for the input! It's actually NSU vs DCOM, which is in eastern TN. It's way more rural than Des Moines. I think we're gonna go for NOVA, it'll be tough, but I haven't seen anything super negative about NOVA except a 3 month rural rotation during 4th year, which DCOM also has and the majority of their other rotations are preceptor-based. I could hope to get Memphis or Knoxville, but it's a way bigger risk than if I just go to NOVA. It's kind of a miracle I even got accepted to NOVA, my stats are much lower than their averages. We feel like we're passing up a big blessing by turning them down.

Last edited:
Between th

Thanks for the input! It's actually NSU vs DCOM, which is in eastern TN. It's way more rural than Des Moines. I think we're gonna go for NOVA, it'll be tough, but I haven't seen anything super negative about NOVA except a 3 month rural rotation during 4th year, which DCOM also has and the majority of their other rotations are preceptor-based. I could hope to get Memphis or Knoxville, but it's a way bigger risk than if I just go to NOVA. It's kind of a miracle I even got accepted to NOVA, my stats are much lower than their averages. We feel like we're passing up a big blessing by turning them down.

No wonder I only got a 124 on CARS. Lol.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd go lmu. Not a fan of the school really. But you already live there, won't have to take certain classes bc you already took them, have a means of generating income as a TA, and lower COL which is huge for a family. It sounds like you're setting money on fire to go to the beach. The novelty will surely wear off and then you'll be in a tiny apartment and broke even by med student standards. Keep in mind that most sdners are young, single, and come from relatively privileged socioeconomic backgrounds and can't relate to things like worrying if you can feed your kids.

Nova is objectively the better school, but who cares? We're all lumped into the same boat anyway. As a non trad with a family myself, I'd pick a rural school any day of the week.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd go lmu. Not a fan of the school really. But you already live there, won't have to take certain classes bc you already took them, have a means of generating income as a TA, and lower COL which is huge for a family. It sounds like you're setting money on fire to go to the beach. The novelty will surely wear off and then you'll be in a tiny apartment and broke even by med student standards. Keep in mind that most sdners are young, single, and come from relatively privileged socioeconomic backgrounds and can't relate to things like worrying if you can feed your kids.

Nova is objectively the better school, but who cares? We're all lumped into the same boat anyway. As a non trad with a family myself, I'd pick a rural school any day of the week.
Dang, you make good points! Crud, now we're second guessing ourselves AGAIN.

This is a tough situation to be in. I was in a very similar situation recently when I was debating between schools. One school was in alabama (in my eyes the middle of nowhere, and the school districts for my kids were just not up to par) and the other, had much better school districts, had malls, museums, aquariums and other things for MY KIDS to have fun and learn on the weekends while I am too busy studying. Nova is a great school but I live about an hour away from NOVA right now and its expensive and the novelty WILL wear off..but things like school districts and educational activities for your kids is important! I chose the non-rural area for that reason, but It is a more expensive sacrifice I will make for my kids to not be in the middle of nowhere for 4 years. My husband will work to supplement our income though so I personally have a little more cushion room. You have to have enough money for 5 people and I feel like cramming into a two bedroom sounds miserable. Any way you can find something further away from the school and/or cheaper? Or can your spouse work? Just dont make your decision on how nice it seems..make sure you have valid reasons that are worth the huge change for your family. Only you know whats best for your family!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a tough situation to be in. I was in a very similar situation recently when I was debating between schools. One school was in alabama (in my eyes the middle of nowhere, and the school districts for my kids were just not up to par) and the other, had much better school districts, had malls, museums, aquariums and other things for MY KIDS to have fun and learn on the weekends while I am too busy studying. Nova is a great school but I live about an hour away from NOVA right now and its expensive and the novelty WILL wear off..but things like school districts and educational activities for your kids is important! I chose the non-rural area for that reason, but It is a more expensive sacrifice I will make for my kids to not be in the middle of nowhere for 4 years. My husband will work to supplement our income though so I personally have a little more cushion room. You have to have enough money for 5 people and I feel like cramming into a two bedroom sounds miserable. Any way you can find something further away from the school and/or cheaper? Or can your spouse work? Just dont make your decision on how nice it seems..make sure you have valid reasons that are worth the huge change for your family. Only you know whats best for your family!
Thank you, yes, very tough indeed. I feel like this thread turned into "this guy's kids just want to live by the beach" when our main priority is which med school is better and which family dynamic will better. I guess we're more set in our decision than we realized, but I've had two faculty members at LMU tell me to go to NOVA because it has better rotations.

From personal experience, go to the school with more resources. Here's why: you are smart enough to be successful in medical school, but you are going to struggle. It's going to take more effort on your part than it will for your classmates. I'm not questioning your intelligence, but rather talking from experience. Some of your classmates will be able to do half the work you do and still get the same grades. Some will work as hard as you and will ace every exam. Having the best resources will make your life so much easier, productive, and less stressful. Can you be successful at both schools? Probably. But I would recommend making your life easier.

Thank you, yes, very tough indeed. I feel like this thread turned into "this guy's kids just want to live by the beach" when our main priority is which med school is better and which family dynamic will better. I guess we're more set in our decision than we realized, but I've had two faculty members at LMU tell me to go to NOVA because it has better rotations.
Haha no, I definitely did not mean to imply you wanted to choose NOVA for the beach as the beach is a very overated experience coming from a FL native lol. NOVA is probably the better school in my opinion and family dynamic is probably better here too. I know my kids were complaining about moving to Alabama from Florida before I even made my decision. It is really just about cost vs benefit, and if you and your family will be better off in FL even with the sacrifices you will all have to make for it to happen, go for it! Make a mock buget and see if you can get by reasonably. Gov programs can also help but Florida is hard to qualify because I believe they count loans as income and take all vehicles as assets. I may be wrong but look into things such as these to aid your decisions :). Good luck and congrats! Its always nice seeing fellow parents succeed!

I guess we're more set in our decision than we realized, but I've had two faculty members at LMU tell me to go to NOVA because it has better rotations.

Damn. If it's really THAT bad then maybe take the hit. I'd still try to go rural though like wvsom or kcom personally. DO schools have plenty of rural low COL options.

my pick would be NOVA, strong education, strong rotations and strong networking opportunities in the florida area, along with the fact that a hospital should be built in the next 2-3 years for the school, it seems like a great opportunity!

Tbh rotations at DCOM are what YOU make of it. You are essentially required to be at your core site for 6 months but the rest of your rotations you can set up really wherever you like. Specifically at places you would want to live after. Everyone bad mouths DCOM for their rotations but you are in control of that in a way. Plus Dean Kessler is very proactive about acquiring new sites every year, this year they acquired a site in Texas last year it was Tampa . He worked as the associate dean at Campbell and did a very good job their with rotation sites. Since you're already here and the COL is much less I would just stay. Max it's for another couple years and then you move for rotations. Talk to third and fourth years, get their opinions. They will tell you it straight.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Everything gets old after you've been living there for a few months. The beach sounds fun and exciting for now...but that'll wear off pretty quickly, and one day you'll wake up and realize that you haven't been to the beach in several months. Kind of like being at LMU - you probably enjoy the mountains and hiking and quaintness of the area...and then you realized that you haven't been hiking in a really long time.

In the end, go to the place that is cheaper in the long run, and if they're approximately equal, stay where you're at. LMU-DCOM puts people into surgery, so you should be able to, also. Plus, since you won't have to take MGA or Neuro (or even Histo), you'll have all sorts of time (if you don't TA) to really get a good start on getting good grades your first semester in official med school. Even if you don't TA, the pressure of being a TA is not the same as being a student. You'll show up, do your TA stuff, then bounce. You'll get a good refresher on anatomy and still have all sorts of time to study.

Have you spoken with people in the DCOM SAA group? It's for all the DCOM students with families. Personally, after 2 yrs here (Masters + OMS 1) I would choose Nova, but I don't have a family. All the little things missing really add up. These "beautiful" mountains represent prison walls to me now. Knoxville is equivalent to a suburb of a major city, so driving 160 minutes roundtrip there every other weekend has gotten old. Rotation spots are improving, but there's like a 2/3 chance you'll do your core at another rural location, some with less amenities than here. If the campus was 40 minutes closer to Knox, I'd say DCOM all the way.

Have you spoken with people in the DCOM SAA group? It's for all the DCOM students with families. Personally, after 2 yrs here (Masters + OMS 1) I would choose Nova, but I don't have a family. All the little things missing really add up. These "beautiful" mountains represent prison walls to me now. Knoxville is equivalent to a suburb of a major city, so driving 160 minutes roundtrip there every other weekend has gotten old. Rotation spots are improving, but there's like a 2/3 chance you'll do your core at another rural location, some with less amenities than here. If the campus was 40 minutes closer to Knox, I'd say DCOM all the way.
Thanks for your honesty. I have spoken to SAA and I went to some meetings leading up to the 2nd years getting their rotation sites. It was very informative, spouses from each site spoke about their areas and what it's been like. It actually helped put me at ease with my decision to go to NOVA. I feel like med school is what you make it, and I'm glad I chose LMU's masters program, but this experience in Ft Lauderdale will be really good for my family and a happy family makes a happy student. We're LDS and there is a temple in Ft Lauderdale, out here we are almost 5 hours from the closest one. Honestly there are a truck load of reasons for us to do this, but thank you to everyone for your advice and I wish you the best of luck in med school.

Reactions: 2 users
All of that considered, I still vote NOVA. Even if you factor in the TA position, and the fewer courses, NOVA is still significantly better. Not just as a school, but as a location it has better opportunities. Yes, you have to redo anatomy at NOVA, big deal. You have done it before, it will still be easier for you anywhere you do. You will develop a relationship with the professors there anyway, it is a 4 year journey. Yes Florida is expensive, insanely so, but at least it gives the family the opportunity to have their own stuff going on, their own lives that is somewhat detached from yours. Probably easier for your wife to find a job if she wants one, and for the kids to busy themselves all day with stuff to do so when they come home they just crash and are too tired to notice they are all in one room or that the apartment is small. Big houses are great, but they get boring very quickly when there is nothing to do or see day in, day out.

Just want to chime in to help stifle some of the rumors about rotations. When Kessler came in, the tone changed. He has been burdened with the task of trying to get rid of the old guard, and stomp down the pervasive attitude of, "this is how DCOM does it". It hasn't been easy, but it should become easier as the rest of the administration sees that they can't keep doing what they're doing and simultaneously move forward. He has fresh new ideas, and most importantly, a focus on establishing DCOM residencies, and expanding rotation spots in desirable locations--as mentioned, Pasadena/Houston, TX, and Tampa, FL have both been added recently.

In addition, there are plenty of spots near/in cities. If you spend any time truly driving around Knox and West Knox, you'd see how nice and truly affluent some areas can be (bearden, farragut, sequoyah hills). In the knoxville vicinity is the knox core, oak ridge, sweetwater (closer to farragut). Franklin is an burb of Nashville, and Memphis is a large city. That right there leaves you with roughly 100 slots. Trust me, very few students are left with sites they absolutely detest. Just like an NRMP match list, if you formulate your rank list properly, you can almost guarantee a top 5 spot.