This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalluxSlicer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I couldn't find any thread on LMU MSBP for this cycle so I decided to make one.

I applied to both MS Anatomical Sciences (AS) and Biomedical Professions (BP) in early January. I was rejected from AS without an interview but just interviewed with BP today!

My stats are:
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.0
GRE: 300

Anyone else applying this cycle?

Update: I received the admission decision a day after and found out I was accepted!! I am heavily leaning towards this program so I may make my admission decision soon. Anyone else get accepted here? If there is a Facebook group for the class, add me or I can make a brand new one titled: LMU Masters of Science 2018-2019. Lmk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! Commented on your other thread too but I'm a current student here in the BP-MS program, happy to answer questions if you have any.
Hey guys! I couldn't find any thread on LMU MSBP for this cycle so I decided to make one.

I applied to both MS Anatomical Sciences (AS) and Biomedical Professions (BP) in early January. I was rejected from AS without an interview but just interviewed with BP today!

My stats are:
cGPA: 3.33
sGPA: 3.0
GRE: 300

Anyone else applying this cycle?

Update: I received the admission decision a day after and found out I was accepted!! I am heavily leaning towards this program so I may make my admission decision soon. Anyone else get accepted here? If there is a Facebook group for the class, add me or I can make a brand new one titled: LMU Masters of Science 2018-2019. Lmk

Congrats! Commented on your other thread too but I'm a current student here in the BP-MS program, happy to answer questions if you have any.

I'm thinking of applying to this program, how fast do seats fill up? I'm planning on taking the GRE sometime in April. Is it possible to study for the MCAT while in the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied to the AS program! How do they look at GPA, straight from the transcript? My AACOMAS gpa was a 2.93 cumulative, 2.78 BCPM, 504 MCAT, but my transcript shows a 3.13 cumulative, 3.87 my past 25 credits (4.0 last semester), and theres an upward trend in my gpa. Really wanna make this program, think i have a chance?

@premedbrah Applying earlier the better for sure. My materials were submitted by the first few days of January 2018 and heard back 2 weeks after in a letter that I didn't get into the AS. I think they typically take students looking into teaching or want to become Anatomists? You'll be in the tail end of the application so AS may have filled up by then since they only have 30 seats but BP has 70 so there may be some seats? I honestly didn't care about studying GRE so I studied during Thanksgiving for 1 wk cuz most MS programs look at it as formality similar to SAT/ACT unless applying to super competitive program like Harvard. But I advise you to apply to BP instead of AS if you're applying late. For the MCAT studies, I think surgeryDO may have some insights on that but it seems like most people came in with the MCAT score. I will be taking mine during summer before matriculation. Good luck on applying and tackling the GRE dude!

@Whats uppp They looked at my unoffocial transcript I sent in cuz my college charges $10 per! So expensive lmao. I don't really want to be a judge here but try having the AS application viewed by the BP? BP maybe more in favor for you. I am shooting for the MCAT score at 500 or above like you. I'm really bad at national exams, especially those what require you to study out of class. I maybe over stepping but I feel comfortable with the Boards since most of the materials are emphasized in the medical school lectures. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Commented on your other thread too but I'm a current student here in the BP-MS program, happy to answer questions if you have any.[/QUOTE]

Thank you @surgeryDO I have several questions if you don't mind answering.

1. How are the classes? By looking at the course catalogue, some of the mandatory courses seems like easy GPA boosters;
Colloquial Principles of Life Science x2 (1)
Grad. Life Sci. Research Design & Analysis (3)
Applied Ethics in Biomedical Sciences (3)

Are they really though? I know that everyone is trying to earn a GPA over 3.0, thus these courses seems to look like low stakes class compared to the following;
Medical Gross Anatomy (MGA) (7)
Advanced Cellular Biochemistry (3)
Adv. Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology (3)

2. What classes do you recommend to be taken for electives? I know Histology and Neuroanatomy are shared with Medical Students.

3. For MS students, should they live on campus? If so, which resident building? If no, are the outside housing better?

4. How do you like Harrogate? I'm originally from a small town but went to high school and college at an suburban area. It's a journey from where I am to get there but the faculty and the program are really worth it per review from other students so I am making a decision to go there.

5. Can you confirm that the new LMU medical school campus is opening in Knoxville? Do you know how many seats there are for that campus? I heard that it is opening next year and I am assuming lots of students want to go there right?

6. Lastly, have you gotten an interview with DCOM? If so, how was it and how many from BP was invited to it? From speaking with Hannah, she said about 70 seats are reserved at DCOM for the MS AS and BP students meaning that roughly 70% of students matriculate into it. Can you confirm??

I'm sorry if I overwhelmed you with the questons. I'm just so looking forward for this school and gaining that admission to DCOM!!

Thanks

I just applied to the AS program! How do they look at GPA, straight from the transcript? My AACOMAS gpa was a 2.93 cumulative, 2.78 BCPM, 504 MCAT, but my transcript shows a 3.13 cumulative, 3.87 my past 25 credits (4.0 last semester), and theres an upward trend in my gpa. Really wanna make this program, think i have a chance?

Your overall GPA is a little low but I think that strong upward trend might really help you. If you do not get in the AS track they might ask you if you want to be considered for the BP one anyway so I think you have a fair shot to make it into at least one of the two programs.

I'm thinking of applying to this program, how fast do seats fill up? I'm planning on taking the GRE sometime in April. Is it possible to study for the MCAT while in the program?

The earlier you can apply, the better. You might want to reach out to admissions and see if you should apply prior to finishing your GRE.

As far as studying for the MCAT while in the program, here is what I can give you from my personal experience. There were a fair number of us, at least 20 or so who were attempting to retake the MCAT in January. The fall semester is a challenge and MGA will take up most of your time. Once you get here and you meet with your program advisor, they will go over your scores with you and let you know if they think you should plan for a retake or not. If you haven't take the MCAT at all then obviously you will have to take it regardless but it will be tough. If you're going to do this then you need to work out a study plan/schedule ahead of time to make sure you can juggle MGA and MCAT and I would take the MCAT studying slowing, as in spreading it out over as much time as possible to make sure you have enough time to be studying for MGA.

Ok, let me try to tackle this one question at a time.

Thank you @surgeryDO I have several questions if you don't mind answering.

1. How are the classes? By looking at the course catalogue, some of the mandatory courses seems like easy GPA boosters;
Colloquial Principles of Life Science x2 (1)
Grad. Life Sci. Research Design & Analysis (3)
Applied Ethics in Biomedical Sciences (3)

These classes, while not hard sciences, they are not just given to you as A's either, you will have to put in the time and work. Although there is not really significant studying you will be doing for these 3 classes, they do take up your time in the form of papers and assignments. You have to know how to manage your time to plan ahead for these or you will struggle. In a nutshell, colloquial is small group classes (7-10 people) analyzing and critiquing scientific literature. It helps you really improve in reading scientific papers. Research design and analysis (RDA) is a standard class that is what the name tells you, learning how to design studies and use statistics for research. Ethics is just that, ethics. You can get an A in all of these if you are professional, know how to manage your time, and put in the work, it's as simple as that.

Are they really though? I know that everyone is trying to earn a GPA over 3.0, thus these courses seems to look like low stakes class compared to the following;
Medical Gross Anatomy (MGA) (7)
Advanced Cellular Biochemistry (3)
Adv. Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology (3)

2. What classes do you recommend to be taken for electives? I know Histology and Neuroanatomy are shared with Medical Students.

In previous years, MS students used to take histology in the fall with the OMS-1's but this past fall we did not have that option. I'm not sure why that was or if they are removing it permanently from the MS curriculum. MGA and neuro are shared with the OMS-1's for sure still. For me, I chose to take neuro, research (3 cr), and dissection/prosection.

3. For MS students, should they live on campus? If so, which resident building? If no, are the outside housing better?

I live off campus and there are several off campus houses or apartments you can find to rent or you can live on campus if you prefer. It doesn't really matter where you live, it's just a preference. Everything is so small here that it's not going to take you longer than 15 min to get anywhere. From what I have heard though, I would not suggest living at the Inn, they have frequent fire alarms that go off in the middle of the night because of people cooking. If you want to live in Middlesboro you will be where all the grocery stores are but if you live in Harrogate you will be right next to school so it's just up to you. Some people also live in New Tazewell, TN so that they are closer to Knoxville and a couple people actually commute from Knoxville.

4. How do you like Harrogate? I'm originally from a small town but went to high school and college at an suburban area. It's a journey from where I am to get there but the faculty and the program are really worth it per review from other students so I am making a decision to go there.

Yes, the faculty and and school have been great so far. Everyone is very helpful and there is a real community feel here. It is small though! I've never lived in such a small area and it's been a tough adjustment for me personally but I know some people that it doesn't bother them.

5. Can you confirm that the new LMU medical school campus is opening in Knoxville? Do you know how many seats there are for that campus? I heard that it is opening next year and I am assuming lots of students want to go there right?

I have not heard anything about them opening a new campus or moving the medical school to Knoxville. All I know is that they bought a building in Knoxville but they are now renting it out to Ross. That's as much as I know and as far as I know, they have not made any other information public to anyone.

6. Lastly, have you gotten an interview with DCOM? If so, how was it and how many from BP was invited to it? From speaking with Hannah, she said about 70 seats are reserved at DCOM for the MS AS and BP students meaning that roughly 70% of students matriculate into it. Can you confirm??

They just started offering interviews for MS students but I have not heard anything yet from DCOM. I have heard that they are going to be spreading us out over a number of weeks instead of how they have done it in previous years interviewing all the MS students together. Most of us are still waiting to hear from DCOM about the interviews. Also, remember that the 70% matriculation from MS to DCOM here doesn't mean that the rest did not matriculate elsewhere. Many of my classmates have had interviews in multiple places.

I'm sorry if I overwhelmed you with the questons. I'm just so looking forward for this school and gaining that admission to DCOM!!

Overall, it has been a great program and experience. It really opened my eyes to how not ready I was for medical school. And I would definitely recommend doing the anatomy bootcamp before classes start if you are able to! Let me know if you have any other questions! I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank you so much @surgeryDO!

From speaking with the admin representative, she said that the new medical school building has been purchased at Knoxville and will be announced soon to the public. The planned date for opening is in 2019.

What is the best tip for the Fall semester, especially for MGA? What was the course structure like (class hrs, lab, lectures, etc).

I want to give fair warning to those who are interested in master program at lmu. This program has underwent some major change for worst under the supervision of new dean. I am a 1st year DO student who did BP program last year and enjoyed it very much.

This year has been a little, dare I say, disaster for many. Students who did not achieve B in MGA (first year anatomy class) were told to withdraw from neuro. Thats a big turn off for many. Apparently, this is the new rule that was never really followed before. MS no longer take histo but program introduced physio and embryo this year. Physio is little difficult and many failed last term. I know last term many students were also removed from physio because they gave space to vet students. To make matter worst, this semester, MS students do not have access to any study rooms in the university main building.

I know its sound like a discouragement, but take my advice with grain of salt. If you are certain that you can get B or more in MGA, this program is for you. Otherwise, you will face many limitations and you are better off to somewhere else.

Edit: i forgot to mention. i did take neuro and i had A so a C did not limit me. my gf is doing postbac/master program this year. i have to say that i love dcom very much and it is very great do program. i love my class and i love my professors and classmates. i just do not like changes to master program

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

From speaking with the admin representative, she said that the new medical school building has been purchased at Knoxville and will be announced soon to the public. The planned date for opening is in 2019.

What is the best tip for the Fall semester, especially for MGA? What was the course structure like (class hrs, lab, lectures, etc).

MGA lectures vary weekly in terms of schedule and how many lectures there are every week and it is very likely that they will conflict with your other master's classes. Master's classes are mandatory attendance so if you have to miss an MGA lecture you will have to watch it as they are recorded on mediasite. Usually we would have anywhere from 2-5 MGA lectures each week with 2-3 days in lab in the afternoons working on dissections. Afternoon labs are 2 hours and alternate running from 1-3 or 3-5.

The post above talks about getting a B in MGA being essentially mandatory and it is very important but it is not impossible. This is why I highly suggest doing the anatomy bootcamp because MGA is weighted so heavily for this program. What I did was study the textbook, lectures, and powerpoints etc up until about a week before the exam. The week before the exam I spent doing board review questions from BRS, Grey's, and UMich to help identify what I was weak on and did more focused review. They mirror the exam questions closely to board review questions so if you prep with the practice questions then you should have not problem at least making a B in MGA.

Any idea how long the personal statement should be? I know they say there is no limit enforced. Is the personal statement weighed very heavily in the admissions process? Right now I'm looking at a little less than a page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed for LMU MS BP 3/14/18
Accepted today 3/19/18

Waiting on other schools, but heavily leaning towards this program!

Reactions: 2 users
Any idea how long the personal statement should be? I know they say there is no limit enforced. Is the personal statement weighed very heavily in the admissions process? Right now I'm looking at a little less than a page.
I wrote a page and a half. I would say personal statement had everything to do with my acceptance, since my stats weren't as competitive (I went through medical complications my Junior year).

Accepted today 3/19/18

Congrats!! If you do decide to go to LMU, then I'll see you there.

@Archdukes I had almost 2 pages worth cuz I added masters and research element onto my medical school personal statement. And yes, certainly it had a huge impact alongside with the interview. My grades were above average for acceptance but GRE score a bit low

Accepted today 3/19/18

Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Hi mates,

Had my phone interview for the LMU MS BP program on 4/18/2018. Just received my Acceptance notice on the portal the very next day (yesterday) on 4/19! Ecstatic for the program and meeting fellow classmates yeah!

Cheers.

Hi mates,

Had my phone interview for the LMU MS BP program on 4/18/2018. Just received my Acceptance notice on the portal the very next day (yesterday) on 4/19! Ecstatic for the program and meeting fellow classmates yeah!

Cheers.

How long did it take you to hear back after submitting your application?

How long did it take you to hear back after submitting your application?

I submitted my complete application along with the application fee on 4/3/18. Received the phone interview invite email by Ms. Hannah Nelson on 4/16/18.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Current OMS-1/Previous BP here - I have a few close friends in the Masters program, and I agree with @DOSK, it has been a nerve-wrecking experience for them. In our year, if you ended up getting a C in MGA (poor study habits, not ready for medical school-type classes), you could redeem yourself by taking Neuroanatomy and doing well. We had students who received C's in MGA, but then A's/B's in Neuroanatomy and were taken off the waitlist. So, just be prepared to really kick butt in MGA. I personally didn't do Boot Camp because I had taken an Anatomy course in undergrad, but if you have no prior Anatomy exposure whatsoever, I recommend doing Boot Camp, or enrolling in an Anatomy course at a community college, or just familiarizing yourself with terms/basic concepts. Everything moves fast, especially when your other Masters courses begin and you don't want to fall behind.

Yes, most of your other classes Fall semester will be pretty easy (as @surgeryDO said, it's mainly just busy work/time management). So you really have no excuse to not do well in MGA.

That being said, if you don't have any deficiencies, do NOT just take the minimal 14 credits. Challenge yourself and take the maximum 16/17 credits. They created a new course called Systems Physiology (taught by the Med Physio professor) and students who took that course and MGA took block exams, which again, really prepares you for the type of exams you take during first/second year.

There is definitely preferential treatment for AS students. They have a smaller class size and are able to work closely with DCOM professors. But do not let them make you feel inadequate. Speaking from experience, BP WILL prepare you better for your first year of medical school. The Masters/OMS-1 students who typically fail out are AS students. This year has been different with them spreading out interviews for the Masters student, but one of my friends (BP), took MGA and Physio in the fall, got A's in both, interviewed in February with the first batch of Masters students and then found out a week later that they were accepted. Whereas, from what I have heard, there are a few AS students who are on the waitlist.

@druidboy05

Thanks for your insights! This really helps out those who are starting this Summer like me and future students. Have you heard anything about the new Knoxville Campus? Like details and stuff. I wonder if the admissions are still keeping it on the down low ... but I heard it is planned to open up in 2019.

@druidboy05

Thanks for your insights! This really helps out those who are starting this Summer like me and future students. Have you heard anything about the new Knoxville Campus? Like details and stuff. I wonder if the admissions are still keeping it on the down low ... but I heard it is planned to open up in 2019.

Nothing official - there are of course a ton of rumors circling around, but at this point, I wouldn't trust any information until it's publicly/officially posted by LMU. I do have a friend attending Ross who told me that they will still be at our Knoxville site for another year at the least.

For anyone who has their med school app transferred to apply to this program, did you have to do anything else?

I was accepted into the BP program as well and am finalizing my decision this week! I’m deciding between this and SGU if anyone has some insight.

I was accepted into the BP program as well and am finalizing my decision this week! I’m deciding between this and SGU if anyone has some insight.

SGU like St. George's University? Is it their Med School or MS program?

Anyone recently applied, like last week or the week before?

Yes, St George University medical school. 4 year MD program

Mmmm. Welp Stateside is always better but I guess SGU is fine but proceed with caution. Alumnus from the neighboring university says he doesn't recommend it since the attrition rate is horrible but it's all up to you.

For anyone waiting, retracting my offer today, hope one of you get in!! Good luck!

Waiting on letters. Anyone still waiting. Admissions is meeting this week. Hopefully they send them in by then.

Had my interview today for the Anatomical Sciences. Saw I was accepted just now on the portal! Congrats to those who have got accepted and I'll see you this fall!

Just had my phone interview for the BP program! Not entirely sure how I feel about it.

I just had my phone interview and i think i bombed it. I love this program and i hope I get accepted soon!

I just had my phone interview and i think i bombed it. I love this program and i hope I get accepted soon!

Felt the same way. Just interviewed this afternoon. Did your interview seem a bit short?

Felt the same way. Just interviewed this afternoon. Did your interview seem a bit short?
Yes it was very short, about 6 minutes. They told me they were in a rush since orientation is less than 1.5 months away.

I was accepted! Now I have to chooses between LMU and WVSOM bridge program.

Final letter submitted yesterday. I interview tomorrow.
I was accepted! Now I have to chooses between LMU and WVSOM bridge program.
Congrats. I have my interview for this program tomorrow and I've been accepted to wvsom bridge program too. What's your deciding factors?

Final letter submitted yesterday. I interview tomorrow.

Congrats. I have my interview for this program tomorrow and I've been accepted to wvsom bridge program too. What's your deciding factors?
I was looking at tuition, living, and chances of being accepted into the med school.
The tuition for LMU is almost $30,000 and WVSOM is projected to be ~ $21000 for out of state.
The living is the same from $700-900 per month for 1B and 1B.
I like WVSOM because they have the MCAT Prep program, and automatic acceptance once requirements are met. Plus they may only have 20 students being accepted into the program.
I like LMU because of the known linkage and courses taken with med students.

Interview today and acceptance today... Yayy.. Now I'm in the same boat as Roni21

Accepted!! Waiting to hear back from a couple more programs, but this is close to the top of my list!

Can someone tell me how the interview was/questions asked? i have a phone interview with them tomorrow.

Can someone tell me how the interview was/questions asked? i have a phone interview with them tomorrow.
Hey!

They asked me the following:
1. Whats your career goal and why LMU?
2. What is your leadership experience like?
3. Discuss how you maintain schedules for classes, etc.
4. What is the weakest part of your app?
5. Any questions?

Took 20 minutes for the whole ordeal.
Interviewed by the Chair of BP program and random Prof. PhD.

Hey!

They asked me the following:
1. Whats your career goal and why LMU?
2. What is your leadership experience like?
3. Discuss how you maintain schedules for classes, etc.
4. What is the weakest part of your app?
5. Any questions?

Took 20 minutes for the whole ordeal.
Interviewed by the Chair of BP program and random Prof. PhD.
Thank you so much!!

So I just got accepted into the program and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth going or just taking my mcat again next month and applying directly to med school. Can anyone give me some of the reasons why you guys are doing it? Pros? Or cons lol

So I just got accepted into the program and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth going or just taking my mcat again next month and applying directly to med school. Can anyone give me some of the reasons why you guys are doing it? Pros? Or cons lol

Congrats!

I'm doing LMU MS this Fall right after graduating from undergrad this summer because I am;
1. Filling my gap year with higher education
2. Acceptance into MS means you are guaranteed an interview should you do well in the program
3. I am currently applying to med schools all over and Tennessee is a good central location to fly around without incurring too pricy flights
4. IF for some god-awful reason I do not get any interviews or acceptances, I at least have LMU-DCOM as a top notch backup because of the said guaranteed interview and high yield number of matriculation from MS to DCOM

Now I guess the bad part is that;
1. LMU location is difficult to reach; 1.5 hr drive from Knoxville, the nearest big city
2. Not too much fun to do as you're pretty much in the super duper country side
3. If you're in the BP, its a bit difficult to hang around DCOM faculty as they typically work with AS students
4. The tuition is like roughly ~35k ish

That's all I could think of right now.

As for you, I suggest doing MS because you at least have a foot in the door of a medical school that has linkage program that's pretty strong. You can re-take the MCAT but the results may or may not be worthwhile. It's all up to you!

Congrats!

I'm doing LMU MS this Fall right after graduating from undergrad this summer because I am;
1. Filling my gap year with higher education
2. Acceptance into MS means you are guaranteed an interview should you do well in the program
3. I am currently applying to med schools all over and Tennessee is a good central location to fly around without incurring too pricy flights
4. IF for some god-awful reason I do not get any interviews or acceptances, I at least have LMU-DCOM as a top notch backup because of the said guaranteed interview and high yield number of matriculation from MS to DCOM

Now I guess the bad part is that;
1. LMU location is difficult to reach; 1.5 hr drive from Knoxville, the nearest big city
2. Not too much fun to do as you're pretty much in the super duper country side
3. If you're in the BP, its a bit difficult to hang around DCOM faculty as they typically work with AS students
4. The tuition is like roughly ~35k ish

That's all I could think of right now.

As for you, I suggest doing MS because you at least have a foot in the door of a medical school that has linkage program that's pretty strong. You can re-take the MCAT but the results may or may not be worthwhile. It's all up to you!
Hey ! Thanks for the insight! Those are all good pros and cons.

However, are you guaranteed an interview if you do well though? I’ve been seeing some comments and I can’t find any information that makes me feel safe about it. Like percentages who got in or anything like that so it’s a bit concerning. What number is a high yield?