LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's just for 2nd year students, as they will be taking their boards in June after their 2nd year. This year, the 1st year's last thing is on May 20th, then they are done for the year, so you should be fine!

Thanks!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

For the LMU post-baccalaureate program, is a gap year for applying to medical school required, or can students apply for a spot in the next year's class? Do many of the students actually end up getting interviewed/admitted to DCOM?

Thanks!

For the LMU post-baccalaureate program, is a gap year for applying to medical school required, or can students apply for a spot in the next year's class? Do many of the students actually end up getting interviewed/admitted to DCOM?

Thanks!

I never heard of LMU having a post-bac program before this post, and am not aware of any students in it taking gross anatomy with my class. It must be brand new.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
Lifted straight from the website:

How the LMU Post-baccalaureate Medical Science Program can help you:

1. This program will strengthen your academic background in the sciences
  2. You will receive preparatory training for the MCAT examination
  3. You will take a didactic and skills course taught by faculty from the Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (DCOM)
  4. Through this program, you will have a chance to develop professional relationships with LMU-DCOM faculty
  5. Faculty in this program will help you with interviewing skills and in developing your medical school application
  6. This program offers a guaranteed interview to LMU's Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine for students who complete the PMSP program in good standing.

Thanks!

Hey! I got into the post bac. I will be in it. It's brand new. I was told last wk that we will be taking gross anat with the med students. If you do well in gross anat, you get credit and don't have to take it your first year. There is also no gap year. PM me if you want to know more! I think it's going to be a really wonderful program. I am very excited:)

i know in a previous post it says that last yr 30-35 students were picked off of the waitlist, but is this the average every year? also, does anybody know how many students get waitlisted on average every year? thank you :)

i know in a previous post it says that last yr 30-35 students were picked off of the waitlist, but is this the average every year? also, does anybody know how many students get waitlisted on average every year? thank you :)
I've heard they have already started pulling from the waitlist to some degree if that helps any.

Does anyone know how many they usually take off the waitlist? I hope I'm one of the lucky ones!

Has anyone that interviewed on March 29-30 heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed the first week of April and have not heard anything as of yet. They told us that the dean would be out of town for a while, so we may not hear anything for up to 3 weeks. And for the record, all of these smilies are blowing my mind...just too many options! Since I'm Irish, perhaps I'll go with :luck:.

Cheers,
Nate

I just withdrew my acceptance here. It was a REALLY hard decision since this is such an outstanding school! (I visited my options 3x before deciding) I hope this newly open spot makes some sdner's day!

:luck:Good Luck Everybody!!:luck:

Yes, I heard that Dean Stowers is not in the office for a few more days.:(

Yes, I heard that Dean Stowers is not in the office for a few more days.:(

Heard anything regarding whether or not the committee made their decisions and phone calls are pending or are they awaiting his return before doing so?

I'm not even applying... just anxious as crap for you guys!

Hello friends I have a quick question,
Does LMU take the highest score from each section on the mcat if you took it more than once? If I took it the first time and got a better score for my bio section than I did the second time, will they take the better of the two? I know some schools are like this but I was wondering if LMU is. Thank you in advance!:)

Well, I got the alternate list letter on Friday. :(:):oops::)...

I interviewed on 4/13 and thought that it was their last interview date. But the letter says that interviews go through mid-May. Is that true?

Anyone got called off the wait-list yet?

Hello friends I have a quick question,
Does LMU take the highest score from each section on the mcat if you took it more than once? If I took it the first time and got a better score for my bio section than I did the second time, will they take the better of the two? I know some schools are like this but I was wondering if LMU is. Thank you in advance!:)

Hey, I don't know if they necessarily recalculate your overall score, but if you retook it and showed improvement, it's definitely a good thing. Assuming your other sections didn't drop drastically or anything, this will certainly play in your favor.

Well, I got the alternate list letter on Friday. :(:):oops::)...

I interviewed on 4/13 and thought that it was their last interview date. But the letter says that interviews go through mid-May. Is that true?

Anyone got called off the wait-list yet?

I didn't think they interviewed that late, I don't think they did in previous years, but I am thinking they need to wait to see how many of those they extended acceptances to decide to come to DCOM before there is any movement on the waitlist, so perhaps the mid-may date is when this might start to occur?

Hey, I don't know if they necessarily recalculate your overall score, but if you retook it and showed improvement, it's definitely a good thing. Assuming your other sections didn't drop drastically or anything, this will certainly play in your favor.

Okie dokie, thanks grace!:)

Hey everyone. Congrats on your acceptances. Currently in the final stages of closing on a home in Harrogate and looking for two classmates/tenants interested in renting. It’s a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house up on Presidential Blvd, which is about 3 miles from campus (maybe a 5 minute drive). The house is great, built in 2007, fully furnished (with the exception of the two bedrooms I’m looking to rent), big fenced in back yard, front and back porches, incredible views, 2 car garage, very quiet/upscale neighborhood. Rent will include all utilities (excluding cable) up to a set amount. If your interested shoot me a message, I have a bunch of pictures and can provide more details about the home/rent/etc. I've only posted on here a couple of times, and don't log on often, so if your interested shoot me a facebook message. I posted the same message in the LMU-DCOM class of 2014 facebook group. Looking forward to meeting everyone in July.

Did LMU DCOM make it through all the nasty weather? I'm on the waitlist but wondering if this weather is normal for this time of year.

Hey Nate...I don't remember your name but it does sound familiar...I interviewed that first week too in April....did you hear anything yet?? I just heard i was waitlisted!!! I'm soooo bummed!!! but happy at the same time...i dont know...Hope you guys all get in!!:)!!

Hey Nate...I don't remember your name but it does sound familiar...I interviewed that first week too in April....did you hear anything yet?? I just heard i was waitlisted!!! I'm soooo bummed!!! but happy at the same time...i dont know...Hope you guys all get in!!:)!!
Well, my name is Nate, and I interviewed the first week in April as well. I think that those of us who have been waitlisted or who are on the alternate list (not sure if there is a difference) know exactly how you feel. They will normally have 25-35 people from the list accepted. Hang in there and keep yourself busy...

Yea...that's definitely hard...i feel like i don't wanta do anything cuz itll distract me from thinking bout getting accepted loL! isn't that so weird...:rolleyes:anyways what are you guys doing in your spare time?

Well, when my wife is at work I will go fishing, take my dog to the dog park, play Xbox (Rockband, Braid, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, Dark Massiah etc.), and read medical journals or watch O.R. Live. When she gets home we go exercise and/or have several TV shows we're watching (Lost, Lie to Me, Pacific, and *cough* American Idol...if only i spent this much time studying for the MCAT, lol). But if I lived in Honolulu, Hawaii, there is no telling what kind of trouble I would get into.

Man, I am really board and trying to distract myself from work...does anybody else have adult ADD?

Oh yeah, and I obsessively check these forums.

Peace,

Nate

LOL!!! WOAH OK i memeber you!!!!!!!!!!! do you member me? You're skinny and you sat across from me at pizza hut right!!!?!?! lol!! hehe:D i member cuz u had questions about being married and med school and all that....if i member correctly...yea me too i check these forums obsessively because for some reason i think that i will b able to find out if i got accepted from listening to other ppl...lol!!!! well yea so if they have already picked ppl for the waitlist...and about 30 get in...that would allow Dr. Stowers to pick someone and make a phone call like every other day or 3...not including weekends ofcourse until school starts....woah where are all those people who are being called!!!!!!! lol!!! ok composure.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!! I really need to occupy myself ... mayb skydiving will help.... bungee jumping.... :boom:

Haha I am the same way! I'm still in school and trying to keep myself busy with exams etc. I used to think that running would help me stop thinking about getting accepted off the waitlist but I think about it even more! Does anyone know how many people are actually on the waitlist?

LOL!!! WOAH OK i memeber you!!!!!!!!!!! do you member me? You're skinny and you sat across from me at pizza hut right!!!?!?! lol!! hehe:D i member cuz u had questions about being married and med school and all that....if i member correctly...yea me too i check these forums obsessively because for some reason i think that i will b able to find out if i got accepted from listening to other ppl...lol!!!! well yea so if they have already picked ppl for the waitlist...and about 30 get in...that would allow Dr. Stowers to pick someone and make a phone call like every other day or 3...not including weekends ofcourse until school starts....woah where are all those people who are being called!!!!!!! lol!!! ok composure.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!! I really need to occupy myself ... mayb skydiving will help.... bungee jumping.... :boom:
Well, I am tall and lean, but I didn't go to Pizza Hut b/c, for one, I used to work there and I try to avoid it like the plague, and two, I only live about an hr from the school so I know a couple of guys there and have gotten feedback from them. For lunch, however, I sat at the end of the table farthest from the door...perhaps you sat at the same table?

Also, you may need a Xanax, ativan, or something :). But it is kindof funny to see your stream of consciousness/stressin' out writing.

As for the length of the waitlist, I have no clue...but i would like to know as well.

OH lol!! I just checkd and I interviewed March 30th...for some reason i thought i interviewd april...hehe:)! k never mind...:D

IIRC, they don't start moving people off the waitlist until the timeframe expires for everyone with acceptances to send in their deposits. So if the last interview date was mid April, the letters for any acceptances would have probably gone out the last week of April. Those people have 30 days to send their money in.

So I would say (GUESS) the very soonest you're probably looking at movement on the alternate list is the first of June. You have to remember, it's not like they go down the list and just pick 30 or 40 names. The committee meets every week (or two? I don't know this time frame) to see what acceptances have come from the alternates. This lets them determine on a pretty regular basis, how much space is left in the class.

Please know the above is my loose interpretation of how it works based on my own experience and what I remember when I was on the list last summer.

The important thing is that if you have done anything or have new grades that will help your application, let the school know. Send an update so they have something in your file to look at and see how you compare to your fellow residents on the alternate list.
:luck:

Congratulations Rockateer!!!!:thumbup::D Just curious if you were waitlisted or if you were told you were accepted just waiting for a seat to open up? THanks lots!

I was waitlisted. So, I was very excited to hear from Dean Stowers this morning.

Congratulations Rockateer!!!!:thumbup::D Just curious if you were waitlisted or if you were told you were accepted just waiting for a seat to open up? THanks lots!

Does anybody know how many people are on the alternate list?
I do not know for sure, but I do know that I would recommend not contacting the office about it if you were considering doing so. They have told matriculating students for this fall not to contact anyone about their paperwork and all that that is due because the staff is going to pretty overwhelmed during this time. I also remember anytime I asked last year, they kept their lips very sealed about the alternate list. They don't tell you where you fall/rank and all that. It sucks for sure, but just try to be patient. If you haven't already, make sure they know about any improvements in your application so that maybe you could get bumped up on that mysterious list! Good luck! :)

AHHH!!!! Thats a lot!!!!:(

I know! I'm going nuts waiting. He's on the waitlist, too. I just wanna know one way or the other cause moving on short notice with a baby is gonna be ridiculous (not that we won't if thats what it comes to).

I'm the same way. I'm hoping that some of those 150 ppl are going somewhere else. I really have my heart set DCOM!

I'm the same way. I'm hoping that some of those 150 ppl are going somewhere else. I really have my heart set DCOM!

Me too!!! I called my dad last night telling him about the 150! haha But i keep telling myself okay maybe 125 people on the waitlist got in elsewhere and decided to go there...and then they will call the rest of us!!! 25!!! lol i can dream!:D

I know! I'm going nuts waiting. He's on the waitlist, too. I just wanna know one way or the other cause moving on short notice with a baby is gonna be ridiculous (not that we won't if thats what it comes to).

well MedWife, if im there and you guys are also...ill babysit the kiddo while you'll get situated!:) as long as he/she doesn't bite...i get bit to much at work!:oops: