LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to say Congrats to everyone who got interview invites! And good luck to those taking the MCAT on Friday!

DCOM is absolutely amazing :) Im from Cali and although it is a BIG change I feel so at home here. And dont stress about the interview, it was one of the most laid back I went on and there were no really tough questions, all basic stuff, just look over the DCOM interview thread and you will fine!

GOOD LUCK :luck:
I've had a little trouble finding the DCOM interview thread. I've seen the SDN interview feedback page for DCOM, but I can't find the thread.

Could you please post a link? Thanks!!!:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I've had a little trouble finding the DCOM interview thread. I've seen the SDN interview feedback page for DCOM, but I can't find the thread.

Could you please post a link? Thanks!!!:oops:

Im sorry, Im ******ed! :oops: I meant the Interview feedback page, that was what I looked over before my interview. There is a thread page though I think, but its from 2007 when the first class was barley begining to interview so im not sure how helpful it will be, but let me find the link...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=452735

If you have any questions just PM me! And for all you guys interviewing so far I highly suggest going to the pizza night the night before the interview, its a good way to relax and to get some of your questions answered!

And on a personal note, my boyfriend just got an interview for Oct 14th! Yay! Im so glad we have a test on the 13th so I can relax that night and go to the pizza night! :D:D:D

I went to an interview last year. Everyone was very nice and the best advice was to be your self (politely). The questions I heard from most were ethical. I also had several freinds interview from LMU. The only no no I heard commented on was someone coming to the interview dressed innappropriately. Apparently they didn't feel a suit was necessary (or equiv. Female corporate wear).

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have gathered by looking at the interview style from last year, it seems that it will be 2 interviewers and 1 interviewee. My question is, does that mean that there will only be 3 of us interviewing that day?

no there was like 5 sets of interviewers so one at 1030 and one at 11 and last year when i interviewed there was probably around 10-11 of us

It was the same when I went. Two people interviewed you, but there were like 3 other interviews happening in different rooms at the same time. The day started with a building tour and presentations from financial aid and instructors. Then there were interveiws and lunch, then a grounds tour. Pretty straight forward.

Oh okay. That makes sense. Thanks for setting me straight. :) I'M EXCITED!

Congrats to all of you who are coming to interview. In my opinion you have done wonders for your chances of getting accepted by applying early. This in my opinion is a bigger factor in your acceptance than where you are coming from.

Here is my advice on interviews...BE YOURSELF!!! lol Obviously they liked something about you to invite you here so show them some more of that.

Also after you hang up with the admissions office call the hotel and book your room. I can tell you how quick the rooms book up so do not wait or you'll be staying in a roach coach (like I did lol)

My recommendations are:

Holiday Inn Express in Middlesboro - 1-877-863-4780
Cumberland Gap Inn - 1-423-869-9786

I can't express to you how fast these hotels book up so call ASAP.

Also do come to the pizza nite the evening before the interview. I know it might seem weird to have dinner with a bunch of people you've never met but it will do wonders for your state of mind and you'll feel so much more comfortable going into the interview the next morning. If nothing else you'll meet some of your fellow interviewees, some med students you might want help from should you attend here, and you get some pretty good pizza!

Good luck to you all I look forward to meeting you!

How much do you all suggest changing secondary application essays? I applied last year really late and was waitlisted. My interviewer gave some very positive comments on my essays so I was thinking of not changing them much buuuut since I was waitlisted, it's possible that they were read multiple times. Any thoughts?

A big word of advice for those of you who are coming to interview...RELAX! The faculty here is so chill when you get to know them. Thery're really easy to talk to. I know that some nervousness is expected but just calm down and be yourselves!

I just received a call for an interview on 10/14. I've been looking around to find nearby airports, but they all seem far away. I found one in Middlesboro, but none of the online places (expedia, priceline, etc), are able to find that airport. Anyone?

I just received a call for an interview on 10/14. I've been looking around to find nearby airports, but they all seem far away. I found one in Middlesboro, but none of the online places (expedia, priceline, etc), are able to find that airport. Anyone?

The Middlesboro airport is a small private type thing...so no airlines.
The closest is Knoxville and you get a car and drive up (about an hour to and hour and a half drive). Some of my classmates and I have found it is cheaper to fly into Nashville or Louisville, significantly cheaper. If you fly in there you will be looking at a 4 hour drive but the savings may be worth it if you have the time. Also about 4 hours away is Atlanta and Cincinnati also Lexington is about 2 1/2 hours away but historically those three have priced out about as much as Knoxville. Also check the Bristol Tri-Cities airport they sometimes have cheaper airfare depending on where you're coming from, it's about 2 hours away.

Hope this helps!
Congrats on the interview!

With my interview invite they told me to use the airport in Knoxville, then drive to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect, I'll look into these, thanks!

Pizza Night = goodness.... :eek: ----> :cool: It will deff. help you guys relax.

We may not actually be doing pizza this year, but something else. Don't know if we've made our mind up what to do. They moved one of the interview days to Monday, and Oasis isn't open the Sunday night before. :( I went several times last year and had a blast, and the pizza at Oasis is soooo good... I'll try to find out what we are doing instead and repost, ASAP. Whatever it is, I encourage you guys to try and participate. It seems nerve wracking to go and meet up with a bunch of strangers the night before such a huge day, but you will be thanking yourselves later for doing it. It makes the interview day feel so much more relaxed.. plus you can walk in confidently already knowing some of the people in the room. :D

Congrats to the continuing interview invites!:hardy:

Awesome, I'm excited. My interview is on the 10/14, so I'll see you there on Monday the 13th :)

Ok, So we are definitely doing pizza at Oasis this year! I found out that they are going to stay open on Sunday nights just for us! I'm so excited, you guys will love it. :love:

Ok, So we are definitely doing pizza at Oasis this year! I found out that they are going to stay open on Sunday nights just for us! I'm so excited, you guys will love it. :love:

Yay for pizza night!!! Whoever thought up that idea is awesome :)

We may not actually be doing pizza this year, but something else.

I would like to make my coffee shop, No Bucks Coffee House, available for pre-interview meet/greet nights. I know the night we were at the Oasis the band started setting up and that was our cue to leave as no one could carry on a conversation. I am also not normally open on Sunday nights, but would be glad to open the nights before interviews. I'm not sure who sets up these events or who I should contact.

Jason Ireland
www.nobuckscoffeehouse.com

I would like to make my coffee shop, No Bucks Coffee House, available for pre-interview meet/greet nights. I know the night we were at the Oasis the band started setting up and that was our cue to leave as no one could carry on a conversation. I am also not normally open on Sunday nights, but would be glad to open the nights before interviews. I'm not sure who sets up these events or who I should contact.

Jason Ireland

Could you post directions to your place from the school? I was just thinking this morning a good cup of coffee might have been good....and believe me, it would have come in handy.

Ok so I am curious about something... LMU is on the top of my list, and I am really interested in seeing the school. I know that they are hosting an open house this Saturday and I am thinking about going and turning my secondary in to them in person. The only thing is I just took the MCAT on the 13, so I don't know my score yet. My main question is if I go to the open house will I get the opportunity to speak with some people in admissions, and will this have a significant positive impact on my chances of getting in? Also have they ever given interviews without knowing the applicants MCAT scores?

Thanks

So... my wife is really excited about this interview (half of her family is in the Nashville area) so she has decided to come with me. She is also interested in the pizza event the night before... not so much for the food (though she loves pizza) but more for getting to the know first hand the social climate of LMU and what type of place it will be. Would that be a bad idea to bring a spouse?

Also... what kind of dress is appropriate for pizza the night before. I would guess a suit would be crazy, but should I at least wear slacks and a dress shirt or is my usually jeans and button up outdoor shirt good enough?

Thanks for any advice... I am so looking forward to this interview, the pictures of LMU-DCOM are amazing, the staff has been very polite, and I really like Tennessee overall... especially the cardinals. We don't have those out here and they just look so cool. :)

Last edited:
So... my wife is really excited about this interview (half of her family is in the Nashville area) so she has decided to come with me. She is also interested in the pizza event the night before... not so much for the food (though she loves pizza) but more for getting to the know first hand the social climate of LMU and what type of place it will be. Would that be a bad idea to bring a spouse?

Also... what kind of dress is appropriate for the pizza the night before. I would guess a suit would be crazy, but should I at least wear slacks and a dress shirt or is my usually jeans and button up outdoor shirt good enough?

Thanks for any advice... I am so looking forward to this interview, the pictures of LMU-DCOM are amazing, the staff has been very polite, and I really like Tennessee overall... especially the cardinals. We don't have those out here and they just look so cool. :)
When is your interview?

Ok so I am curious about something... LMU is on the top of my list, and I am really interested in seeing the school. I know that they are hosting an open house this Saturday and I am thinking about going and turning my secondary in to them in person. The only thing is I just took the MCAT on the 13, so I don't know my score yet. My main question is if I go to the open house will I get the opportunity to speak with some people in admissions, and will this have a significant positive impact on my chances of getting in? Also have they ever given interviews without knowing the applicants MCAT scores?

Thanks

I'm actually going to be one of the students helping out with the open house this weekend. You should come if you want to see and learn more about the school... I'm not sure if it would help your chances, but it definitely wouldn't hurt. There will be people from admissions there, so who knows. To answer your other question, they have given interviews without MCAT scores under certain circumstances. I hope this answers everything!

Also... what kind of dress is appropriate for pizza the night before. I would guess a suit would be crazy, but should I at least wear slacks and a dress shirt or is my usually jeans and button up outdoor shirt good enough?

Definitely come and bring your wife! Its just going to be other students there, so be as casual as you want! I can't wait for pizza night to start up again.. I'm not sure which dates I'm attending yet... We're putting the schedule together and we'll hopefully know when some of the SDNrs will be there. Looking forward to meeting you guys when I can!

Could you post directions to your place from the school? I was just thinking this morning a good cup of coffee might have been good....and believe me, it would have come in handy.

If headed north, towards the tunnel, turn right at the light by the IGA and Marathon. That is Nettleton Road. Go about 1/4mile and we are on the right. Kind of behind the Citizens Bank and drycleaners. Our address is 200 Nettleton Road.

We've just expanded our hours. We are now open:
Mon-Thu 7-11am & 3-11pm (or later if people are studying and want to stay)
Fri-Sun 7-11am

Be sure and watch our website for new items. We've recently added a variety of hot teas and are looking for more items to add soon.

Jeez I sound like a used car salesman. :laugh:

Jeans and a polo is more than dressy enough. The only hotel in town we stayed at listed the event as a "Reception dinner to meet your interviewers" so we were expecting something kind of formal, drinks-and-dinner-cocktailparty-the-interview-starts-now-don't-use-the-wrong-fork sort of thing. Uh, it's not. It's a pizza joint. With a bar. And kareoke. And on a good night, a band. And there were no interviewers there. Just students. At least on the night we went.

Last edited:
Here's a cool aerial pic one of my customers took while the school and grounds were still under construction:
LMU_med_school-1.jpg

This night is totally casual and suppose to be fun. It is meant to relax you guys interviewing and give you the opportunity to meet some students and ask questions about the school and local area. The big take home message is "this is a fun and casual thing we do for those of you interviewing". Come and relax if you're gonna be in town later...come by later we're usually there a few hours. Bring spouses, significant others, family, kids (I do) anyone who is coming to town with you. Dress casual and be prepared to relax the night before your interview instead of being locked up in a hotel room stressing.

See you all soon!!
Good Luck!!!

Good to know... casual pizza is the best kind... especially if they have any good micros to wash it down with.:cool:

If headed north, towards the tunnel, turn right at the light by the IGA and Marathon. That is Nettleton Road. Go about 1/4mile and we are on the right. Kind of behind the Citizens Bank and drycleaners. Our address is 200 Nettleton Road.

We've just expanded our hours. We are now open:
Mon-Thu 7-11am & 3-11pm (or later if people are studying and want to stay)
Fri-Sun 7-11am

Be sure and watch our website for new items. We've recently added a variety of hot teas and are looking for more items to add soon.

Jeez I sound like a used car salesman. :laugh:

As a possible future student (fingers crossed, knock on wood), I think you should get bubble tea! It is my favorite drink of all time.

As a possible future student (fingers crossed, knock on wood), I think you should get bubble tea! It is my favorite drink of all time.

After a quick search, I have learned something new today. And it's only 7am. Now I can coast for the rest of the day. :D

And good luck on getting in. Be persistant. Call. Email. Take every opportunity to talk to the people here.

Good to know... casual pizza is the best kind... especially if they have any good micros to wash it down with.:cool:

Yeeaaaa about that.....

I see your from Corvalis and I know they have good micros in that area. This area isn't quite like that. Claiborne county is not dry but there is no hard liquor sale here only beer and wine, you have to go to Knoxville for anything stronger. Middlesboro is in a dry county as well. There are some decent beers here but this place isn't known for it's variety of alcohol.

Since you're coming from the west coast, you'll have to pass through Nashville. Stop and pick me up some Yazoo.

20-30 cases should be good. :D

Since you're coming from the west coast, you'll have to pass through Nashville. Stop and pick me up some Yazoo.

20-30 cases should be good. :D

Oh... Now that I know about Yazoo I will have to try it. However, I was joking about beer with pizza... during an interview (or pre-interview) the strongest thing I would have is Dr. Pepper.

Also someone sent me a private message and I really apprieciate the advice. I was wondering if they could elaborate more on how they came to that conclusion. From personal experience? Are you currently atteneding LMU? Sorry to post in here, but I dont see any other way of contacting you.:cool:

OMG!!!! I freakin love bubble tea, and there is not one place in Knoxville that sells it! I've been having withdrawals for like 2 years now. Makes me soooo sad. There's no pho in Kville either.. well there was a place, but they're not open anymore. :(

This:

bubbletea.jpg

Makes me go like this!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

We're going to start with milkshakes (next week), but I'm continuing to look into these bubble teas.

We're going to start with milkshakes (next week), but I'm continuing to look into these bubble teas.

They are also yummy as fruit flavors as well. My favorite is Mango! I have these everytime I go home!!!

Mmm.. Bubble Tea...

I haven't had it since I lived in California a few years back. Man, oh, man, I miss it.

I'm applying to LMU, so let's hope we get to see Bubble Tea (and my presence at LMU) in the near future!

I'm excited to see the interview season starting up again and that pizza night is gonna be back!!! We had a blast last year, so we can only make this year even better. I highly encourage everyone to attend, if possible, b/c you will get some great info, and more importantly, reduce your stress the day before your interview. It is low-key, casual, ask whatever you want atmosphere and family is more than welcome. We had spouses, kids, and parents join us, in addition to the interviewees, so please don't hesitate taking anyone. Its a real fun night and we hope to see lots of people again this year.

Oh, and BTW, DCOM rocks!!! :woot:

Okay. This overly positive bubble tea response from current students has made me love DCOM even more than I did before.

You guys are clearly awesome.

:thumbup:

I am having a hard time getting an idea of the fitness/wellness center from the website. Is it ample in size and have decent equipment? Also, are there plans that allow a spouse to use the pool and other facilities?

Secondly, do most students live in Middlesboro instead of Harrogate? When I come out there I want to look at both towns a little and get an idea of travel distance and community styles. I know it will be important to find a place that could handle a family and will be close to a hospital. Any feedback from locals or current students would be great on this one.

I am having a hard time getting an idea of the fitness/wellness center from the website. Is it ample in size and have decent equipment? Also, are there plans that allow a spouse to use the pool and other facilities?

Secondly, do most students live in Middlesboro instead of Harrogate? When I come out there I want to look at both towns a little and get an idea of travel distance and community styles. I know it will be important to find a place that could handle a family and will be close to a hospital. Any feedback from locals or current students would be great on this one.

They just opened a small fitness room in the student apartments. It has some limited workout equipment. If you just run on the treadmill or on the elliptical then its perfect. There's a big screen plasma and a hookup to the speakers for your iPod. If you live in the apartments you get to use it all for free. If you don't its something like $75 a semester and I can't remember if that includes your spouse or not.
The LMU on campus workout room is really not that bad. I came from UTK which has an awesome brand new workout facility and it was quite a downsize. It's free for all students.

It seems like its a pretty even mix for those that live in Harrogate vs Middlesboro. Middlesboro definitely has much more stuff when it comes to food and such and isn't that far away from school. I personally live on the Middlesboro side and love it. The hospital is probably about 15 min away from the school in Middlesboro.

I have to jump in on this conversation. I love bubble tea. In birmingham there was a little stand in the mall that sold it. And lucky me will be visiting Bham in October so I'm defintely going to go get a bubble tea. Yeah I'd definitely be inclined to visit a coffee shop with bubble tea ;)

Oh I signed up for Pizza Night and I'll be at Oasis November 2nd! So anyone interviewing on the 3rd I hope you go to the pizza thing. And if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to send me a PM. I'm a first year student btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.