LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bs

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine recently sent me this link about a gang rape in the DCOM dorms: http://www.phoenixflyingnow.com/Page_2.html.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is for real or not. It's pretty messed up if it is. Can any current students comment?

that sounds like total bull****. if there was a "gangrape" at DCOM, I'm sure there would be newspaper articles...you can't suppress that kind of information considering how ridiculously small the world has gotten with the internet. Also, it says she started at LMU/DeBusk three years ago....DCOM has only been around for one year.

Unfortunately, there was an alledged sexual assault on the campus of LMU (not at DCOM or the dorms of DCOM but on the undergrad campus alledgedly invlolving undergrad students). It was an isolated incident that did not involve any medical students and is in the hands of the authorities now. The thing we have to remember is that we are part of LMU, so unfortunately DCOM's name is mentioned too, whether or not it was directly involved.

What I can tell you is that there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of and that it was and is a rare and isolated incident. The area around LMU-DCOM is extremely safe and very much of a family atmosphere and this in no way should deter anyone from applying to or matriculating at DCOM. If you have any questions about this, please PM me and I will give you the appropriate email.

surely that is a tragic incident; however, I don't understand the manner the blog entry was written....it specifically mentioned DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine as where the student studied at. Thats like saying people from Duke Med were involved or implicated in the lacrosse rape case at Duke University.

On another note, how is the undergraduate library at LMU? Is it far from DCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
WIERD.gif
where'd all the shiny happy people go?

WIERD.gif
where'd all the shiny happy people go?
Spending the weekend with the family in Paint Rock (if you think Harrogate is booneys, you should go to Paint Rock).

We made homemade ice cream and apple pie. I smashed them together and mixed them up real good...thought about that ice cream I'm expecting to get when you decide on DCOM ;)

anyone think if i call Mr. Carney and ask if i'm grouped in any of the top catergories he would let me know???/:luck:

anyone think if i call Mr. Carney and ask if i'm grouped in any of the top catergories he would let me know???/:luck:

So did you call? Let us know what he said or if you can't say at least tell us if he gave you any kind of new information besides what has already been divulged here.

So by the way, when you call do you just come out and ask -Am I next on the list?

Does DCOM require you to earn your bachelor's degree prior to matriculating? On their website it says no less than 75% towards your degree.

Are there any current students without a degree? has it caused any problems? Thanks

Does DCOM require you to earn your bachelor's degree prior to matriculating? On their website it says no less than 75% towards your degree.

Are there any current students without a degree? has it caused any problems? Thanks

In my opinion American medical schools require undergrad degree period unless there's an overwhelming reason that can be considered to qualify. I personally wouldn't bet on applying to any medical school without graduating with a bachelors at the least. Good luck!

In my opinion American medical schools require undergrad degree period unless there's an overwhelming reason that can be considered to qualify. I personally wouldn't bet on applying to any medical school without graduating with a bachelors at the least. Good luck!

I noticed that some schools say that they require a degree, while others say 75% or at least 90 credit hours. Why this disparity?

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that some schools say that they require a degree, while others say 75% or at least 90 credit hours. Why this disparity?

I was thinking that it was that they required 75% or at least 90 credit hours completed towards the degree before you apply, with the stipulation that you will have your completed degree before you enroll there.

surely that is a tragic incident; however, I don't understand the manner the blog entry was written....it specifically mentioned DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine as where the student studied at. Thats like saying people from Duke Med were involved or implicated in the lacrosse rape case at Duke University.

On another note, how is the undergraduate library at LMU? Is it far from DCOM?

The library is right around..and in regards to the incident you need to realize DCOM is part of LMU university not the other way around. So anything that happens on LMU-DCOM campus will be reported in conjunction and we do have nursing students, PA students in the future who will be at DCOM so look at it however you want one bad apple can be detrimental to any institution. On the bright side, i can tell you this much that i don't feel threatened on the campus..i work out there and i see undergrad kids constantly they all seem friendly .

I don't know why that is the case but that 90 credit requirement is the absolute pre-med requirement to qualify for medical schools and also happen to be courses you have to take to pass MCAT's. I know carribean schools take students that don't end up graduating but again i would guess there should be a special circumstance. I have a younger brother who is going into pharmacy and he won't be graduating undergrad instead continue his education through a pharmacy school..lets assume he doesn't finish his Pharm D and decides to apply to medical schools then he technically did more studying and has more undergrad/grad school credits than someone with a bachelors but unfortunately no degree. So in such situations may be he would be viewed differently from someone who wants to go to medical school after their junior year in undergrad. I was in a BS/DO 7yr program with NYCOM..they told me i didn't have to finish my 4th year and i would be awarded my BS by transfer of credits from NYCOM. I only needed the specific upper division courses with 90 credit requirement..hope this gave you an idea?

I do believe there may be 1 or 2 people who matriculated without obtaining a degree, but there were circumstances, etc. It is not the norm and nobody should assume that they can get in that way. Yes, most schools do have a 90 credit hour minimum, but that is NOT accumulated by med school pre-reqs. Pre-reqs only cover about half of that, so my bud Lambo was mistaken there. There really is no difference b/w 90 credit hours or 75% as they are pretty much the same thing. Anybody would definitely HIGHLY recommend any applicant to obtain their degree.

Hey folks, I have been lurking around here for a while but didn't register for SDN until now. I'll be joining y'all at DCOM this July in the class of 2012. My name's Alex Malloy and I'm in the facebook group. I'm from Mississippi and will be living with my good friend Glen Goncharow and Allan Apostol in Harrogate. We're going to throw a party before orientation starts and you're all invited. More details on that to follow....regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you!

Can anyone comment on the class stats so far? Reading the website and this thread DeBusk seems to be for the more, er, traditional student, which I am not. Would like to know if there is a little diversity in them thar hills.
FWIW, I'm a 34 y/o female, married, practicing PA with no children but 3 dogs and 3 cats and way the hell too much furniture and a husband with way too many books. He's a high school history teacher. Probably too much to hope for a Catholic church in the middle of Presbyterian heartland there.
Thanks
Lisa

Can anyone comment on the class stats so far? Reading the website and this thread DeBusk seems to be for the more, er, traditional student, which I am not. Would like to know if there is a little diversity in them thar hills.
FWIW, I'm a 34 y/o female, married, practicing PA with no children but 3 dogs and 3 cats and way the hell too much furniture and a husband with way too many books. He's a high school history teacher. Probably too much to hope for a Catholic church in the middle of Presbyterian heartland there.
Thanks
Lisa

Oh man, I think we must come across as immature! :laugh: Most of the current students who post here (and myself included) are older, non-trad students. ;)

Thanks
Lisa

Hey Lisa,

We definitely are not just traditional students, although the Class of 2011 does have those. The average age of the Class of 2011 is just over 26 years old and about 1/3 of the class is married (I am married and 27). We have many people who are going to med school as a second career as well. You will fit in just fine....and there is a Catholic church around here somewhere, I will have to check on that for you. There is some good history around this area too. I've heard some cool stuff about Middlesboro, KY.

Unfortunately, there was an alledged sexual assault on the campus of LMU (not at DCOM or the dorms of DCOM but on the undergrad campus alledgedly invlolving undergrad students). It was an isolated incident that did not involve any medical students and is in the hands of the authorities now. The thing we have to remember is that we are part of LMU, so unfortunately DCOM's name is mentioned too, whether or not it was directly involved.

What I can tell you is that there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of and that it was and is a rare and isolated incident. The area around LMU-DCOM is extremely safe and very much of a family atmosphere and this in no way should deter anyone from applying to or matriculating at DCOM. If you have any questions about this, please PM me and I will give you the appropriate email.

NM

BTW Congrats Sherruns! :thumbup:

Thanks
Lisa

I'm 31, married, daughter, 2 cats and I spent the last 9 years as a navy helicopter pilot. You're going to be in good company it seems.

im a 22 yr old college student that lacked the maturity to feed his fish regularly until last semester. hahahahaha

Hey that's cool. My husband was a Navy flight mechanic on a carrier in the Gulf for two deployments...you guys would get on well. He was a "white shirt" guy. Other than that I couldn't tell you much since this was before we got together.........

Prions, sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way! I always enjoy your posts and you've been very helpful to me.

Nascardoc, thanks for the heads up on the church. Where we are now in SC we're a relative minority as well although we do have a very small catholic population among the Baptists and Methodists.

I really like what I've read about DeBusk so far and love Appalachia. My grandparents are from Canton, NC, teeny tiny place outside of Asheville...I just visited the old homestead for the first time last summer. Met cousins and great aunts & uncles I've never known growing up on the west coast. Very interesting.

Thanks again all of you,

Lisa

I'm 31, married, daughter, 2 cats and I spent the last 9 years as a navy helicopter pilot. You're going to be in good company it seems.

Prions, sorry, didn't mean to make you feel that way! I always enjoy your posts and you've been very helpful to me.

Thanks again all of you,

Lisa

Oh no! No need for apploigies! I was totally joking around! :D We like to have fun here and sometimes are a tad bit silly, that's what I meant. ;)

I think you'd fit like a glove at DCOM. :love: So keep us updated throughout the cycle and best of luck to you! You're applying for 2009 matriculation, right? :luck::luck:

Hi Prions,
Yes, I'm applying for 2009. I've been talking myself out of it since 2006 cycle :oops: could no longer talk myself out of it.
Now I thought you were already admitted for 2008 start date...no? If not would be glad to have you in class.
I'm trying to get my baby sis (23) to apply with me. Well, she's applying, but she's stuck on MD. She's also a lot younger than I am. She's been fed some anti-DO bull and is a little rigid on that issue. She does have the potential to go MD-PhD so I hope she'll get in somewhere. It would be fun if we could go somewhere together.
Thanks
L.

It looks like this thread is going to end since we have a new season upon us :cry: Here's to the best thread. Ever. :thumbup: Let's hope 2008-2009 can live up to this thread....3600+ posts and almost 80,000 views.....nothing else even comes close.

Go DCOM!

Hi Prions,
Yes, I'm applying for 2009. I've been talking myself out of it since 2006 cycle :oops: could no longer talk myself out of it.
Now I thought you were already admitted for 2008 start date...no? If not would be glad to have you in class.
I'm trying to get my baby sis (23) to apply with me. Well, she's applying, but she's stuck on MD. She's also a lot younger than I am. She's been fed some anti-DO bull and is a little rigid on that issue. She does have the potential to go MD-PhD so I hope she'll get in somewhere. It would be fun if we could go somewhere together.
Thanks
L.

Yep, I'm heading to DCOM in 55 days! :hardy:

I tried to get my little sis to apply to med school with me too, but she's doing nursing school instead. :) I'm so excited for you! It's such an exciting time (nerve-wracking too, I know) but if you need anything, just shoot one of us a message or post here in the thread! Look forward to hearing updates on your application this year!

Prions :D

It looks like this thread is going to end since we have a new season upon us :cry: Here's to the best thread. Ever. :thumbup: Let's hope 2008-2009 can live up to this thread....3600+ posts and almost 80,000 views.....nothing else even comes close.

Go DCOM!

Wow, that's so sad :( Alright class of 2013, lets see what you got! :)

Hey Lisa,

We definitely are not just traditional students, although the Class of 2011 does have those. The average age of the Class of 2011 is just over 26 years old and about 1/3 of the class is married (I am married and 27). We have many people who are going to med school as a second career as well. You will fit in just fine....and there is a Catholic church around here somewhere, I will have to check on that for you. There is some good history around this area too. I've heard some cool stuff about Middlesboro, KY.

You're 27?? You are wise beyond your years. ;)

Wow, that's so cool!! Congrats on all the entering class of 2012!!
I wonder what may have happened if I had just applied last fall. Well still, it's another year, and high time I threw myself in the running. Plan to hone my PS tomorrow on my one day off tomorrow and finish entering my work experiences in AACOMAS. Looks like all but one of my transcripts have been received. Somewhere in there I need to take a practice MCAT as well for 6/13, attempt #2 and I seriously hope the last one, blech! My rusty brain is rebelling against all this physics.
Looking forward to hearing all your experiences. At present my sis and I are separated by 3000 miles or so. She was teased last week with the opportunity that a research job she interviewed for at OHSU was moving to Vanderbilt and the PI asked if she were interested, and she was, and now today he says he might not be going after all. Pfffttt.
Fickle researchers.

QUOTE=prionsRbad;6709927]Yep, I'm heading to DCOM in 55 days! :hardy:

I tried to get my little sis to apply to med school with me too, but she's doing nursing school instead. :) I'm so excited for you! It's such an exciting time (nerve-wracking too, I know) but if you need anything, just shoot one of us a message or post here in the thread! Look forward to hearing updates on your application this year!

Prions :D[/QUOTE]

Did you ever call Soccerchicoc? You've got me wondering if I should make the same call!

So I had a dream last night that I was accepted (second one recently). Pretty depressing when you wake up and realize it's not reality. Pathetic I know :p

i did call he wasn't in his office so I emailed him haven't heard anything yet

I like the way you think Malisa! I hope you are right!

Aloha,

Just got off another 13 hour shift doing bomb calorimetries. I am so ready for school. If you have not gotten here yet, its the best time of year I think. Its Friday morning and I drove by the campus for the three hundreth time I think. Its working me over, really. So ready for school. 60 days till orientation, WOOT!

K, I'm not typical as most medical students go D O or MD. I'm 38, have my single girlfriend and her three children on the way from Hawaii. Arriving on the June 11th. My family has property on Cheasapeake and that's where I will be two weeks before classes. The past five months here have been noting but shift work. Paying undergraduate loans till deferment arrives in August. Waited my whole life for this time, not a 2nd career. Though I have crabbed in Alaska, managed AHEC grants, and whatever else: This is what its all about finally.

If you are on the waitlist, I really hope you get an answer. Its the worst to waitlist. I did when I interviewed at VCOM last year, on the day of the shootings at VaTech. It froze admissions. I even stabilized two accident victims when I got off of work at 7 Eleven when I moved there (I was told I had a good chance to get in....). I shadowed military DO's, and voluntered over 500 hours during undergrad work. If things don't work out, then surely you have the determination to get all applications for next year in by September. Apply to many schools, especially DCOM. They see that you are going to keep at it, that's a huge plus.

Finally, to the Class of 2012. DCOM is special, I know it. This is where we come together to do no harm. Let's enjoy the hardships coming, and be true friends with each other. Sure, its all about the goal isn't it? No, its about who you are, how you got to this point and what you are going to do about it. No doubt! We are going to be Osteopathic! We are making a difference.

Oh yeah, and I love old school, horses, piano, I don't run but bike like a maniac when I am able, I don't like TV anymore and check this out:

I was born in 69, my sign is 69, and last year when I didn't get into Hawaii or VCOM, my birthday was 7.7.7 Finally, that bit of millennium luck rubbed off on me.

Class of 2012~DCOM

i was wondering what significant others plan to do when we have to do our rotations during the third and forth year. can we do the majority of our 3rd year rotations in knoxville? where do we do our 4th year rotations. i know that we have to do them in community hospitals but does that mean they could be in other parts of the state. my girlfriend is a teacher and she doesnt want to have to change schools every year. does anyone have any insight here? thanks.

Aloha,

Just got off another 13 hour shift doing bomb calorimetries. I am so ready for school. If you have not gotten here yet, its the best time of year I think. Its Friday morning and I drove by the campus for the three hundreth time I think. Its working me over, really. So ready for school. 60 days till orientation, WOOT!

K, I'm not typical as most medical students go D O or MD. I'm 38, have my single girlfriend and her three children on the way from Hawaii. Arriving on the June 11th. My family has property on Cheasapeake and that's where I will be two weeks before classes. The past five months here have been noting but shift work. Paying undergraduate loans till deferment arrives in August. Waited my whole life for this time, not a 2nd career. Though I have crabbed in Alaska, managed AHEC grants, and whatever else: This is what its all about finally.

If you are on the waitlist, I really hope you get an answer. Its the worst to waitlist. I did when I interviewed at VCOM last year, on the day of the shootings at VaTech. It froze admissions. I even stabilized two accident victims when I got off of work at 7 Eleven when I moved there (I was told I had a good chance to get in....). I shadowed military DO's, and voluntered over 500 hours during undergrad work. If things don't work out, then surely you have the determination to get all applications for next year in by September. Apply to many schools, especially DCOM. They see that you are going to keep at it, that's a huge plus.

Finally, to the Class of 2012. DCOM is special, I know it. This is where we come together to do no harm. Let's enjoy the hardships coming, and be true friends with each other. Sure, its all about the goal isn't it? No, its about who you are, how you got to this point and what you are going to do about it. No doubt! We are going to be Osteopathic! We are making a difference.

Oh yeah, and I love old school, horses, piano, I don't run but bike like a maniac when I am able, I don't like TV anymore and check this out:

I was born in 69, my sign is 69, and last year when I didn't get into Hawaii or VCOM, my birthday was 7.7.7 Finally, that bit of millennium luck rubbed off on me.

Class of 2012~DCOM

I'm just as excited as you! I am just counting down the days till I quit work!

approx 2 more months lef!!

i was wondering what significant others plan to do when we have to do our rotations during the third and forth year. can we do the majority of our 3rd year rotations in knoxville? where do we do our 4th year rotations. i know that we have to do them in community hospitals but does that mean they could be in other parts of the state. my girlfriend is a teacher and she doesnt want to have to change schools every year. does anyone have any insight here? thanks.

Fortunately, my husband's company in Michigan is allowing him to work remotely from home, so he will basically follow me wherever I end up.

I looked back at the packet we received at the interview and it looks like the majority of the 3rd year hospital sites are in Knoxville, but the 4th year clinical sites are more widespread including Middlesboro, North Knoxville, Tazewell, LaFollete, etc. If you still have that folder, take a look at it. I don't know how set in stone these sites are, but according to the papers, almost all have a letter of intent, with just a few still pending.

I guess if it's an option, my advice for your girlfriend would be to apply to schools (and live) between Harrogate and Knoxville, in somewhere like LaFollette. Sure it's a longer drive to school and the hospital, but she probably wouldn't have to switch teaching jobs. Good luck:luck:

This is why I live in Knoxville.

This is why I live in Knoxville.

what side of knoxville do you live on and how far of a drive is it. does it totally blow or is it doable. i can handle about an hour drive as long as there isnt a lot of traffic.

what side of knoxville do you live on and how far of a drive is it. does it totally blow or is it doable. i can handle about an hour drive as long as there isnt a lot of traffic.

If you look at a map of Knoxville, I live off Tazewell Pike pretty much straight north of Knoxville Center Mall (East Town to the locals). From my driveway to my parking spot at school, it's 50 miles on the dot. The last few months, we've been meeting (3 others ride with me) at a guys house at 33Hwy and Rifle Range Road...not sure of the mileage. We allow ourselves an hour, but it actually takes a little less than that.

If you live in Halls, right off Hwy 33, you can plan on 45-60 minutes each way. I won't lie, it kinda sucked first semester especially (due to staying late for anatomy and trying to adjust). For 2nd semester, it wasn't too bad at all since you don't have so much out of class time required to succeed. As long as I get rotations in Knoxville, it will have worked out very well for us.

I think by the end of summer, there's going to be at least 6 of us 2011er's living in Knoxville.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Interesting note, of the people that ride with me to school...one lived here from the start...one lived in LaFollette with his wife and she commuted to Knoxville and he to Harrogate every day. That couple moved to Knoxville over Xmas. The other person lived in Maynardville with her commuting to Harrogate and her husband to Knoxville every day. They moved to Knoxville over Spring Break. The couple in LaFollette decided they were wasting WAY too much gas with both of them commuting 35+ minutes a day.

is it hard to find housing once it gets closer to the school year.. i'm on the wait list and if i get in I will have to find a place that allows pets and was wondering how difficult that will be...

is it hard to find housing once it gets closer to the school year.. i'm on the wait list and if i get in I will have to find a place that allows pets and was wondering how difficult that will be...
national%20park.jpg

you will have no difficulty.
it is a magical place.