LMU-DCOM (DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the two students I met at the pizza night didn't crack a smile even once. Put your game face on because you will be judged all night. :eek: Oh and the interview was like being in a pressure cooker.

:eek:You had a stressful experience EEL? Sorry to hear that. The two on one interview format is kinda stressful, but they did seem to go out of their way to make us comfortable. You did like the school though right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,
I had a quick question(s). What kind of interview questions are asked and what is the format like? i read somewhere that it is a 2 on one format? When do they make decisions after the interview? is it one week after or later? If somebody can answer this or at least PM me the answer, that would be great.

(My interview is on the 18th of December and im extremely nervous b/c its my first med school interview, EVER)
Well, its also my only one so far so i'm under a lot of pressure to do well. Need help!

This is what I get for trying to do too many things at once. :oops: I was so completely joking!! I was going to post another reply to say that but I got distracted. The pizza thing was great. I laughed a lot! And thanks to Nascardoc I wasn't nervous when it came time to my interview and it was very relaxed. I did however feel like there were things maybe I should have worded differently or thought of things I should have said after the fact. Maybe that happens often after interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I get for trying to do too many things at once. :oops: I was so completely joking!! I was going to post another reply to say that but I got distracted. The pizza thing was great. I laughed a lot! And thanks to Nascardoc I wasn't nervous when it came time to my interview and it was very relaxed. I did however feel like there were things maybe I should have worded differently or thought of things I should have said after the fact. Maybe that happens often after interviews.

Hahaha.. I saw your post first on the other page and got so worried! I couldn't imagine who was out at pizza that would be so uncool (because we are so very cool here at DCOM). Glad to hear you had an awesome time after all! :laugh:

:laugh: I was thinking.."oh no!" Well I think that post interview self-criticism is normal.

Hey all! Im driving from Richmond, VA to DCOM tomorrow for my interview Friday! While I don't have a shy bone in my body, I'm VERY nervous. DCOM is by far my top choice and I'm hoping that the interview is relaxed enough to let my real personality shine through and show what really defines me as a person. I assume the pizza night is informal, correct? I can't wait to meet everyone and have such high hopes for Friday!

I'm sure you will do fine. Have a safe trip and relax...it's very low stress...and welcoming.

Since they moved the interviewees to the 3rd floor, I haven't been as good about getting by to say hi, but will try this week.

EEL, you must've been sending some serious good karma my way... i missed the call, but got the call from jody today! i don't think i've ever been more excited in my life. seriously. (i know, i know, more bridges to cross, but oh my gosh!) i'm going to re-read everyone's tips for the interview. i'm not sure when mine is yet, but will update soon. YAY!!!!!:love::love::love:

EEL, you must've been sending some serious good karma my way... i missed the call, but got the call from jody today! i don't think i've ever been more excited in my life. seriously. (i know, i know, more bridges to cross, but oh my gosh!) i'm going to re-read everyone's tips for the interview. i'm not sure when mine is yet, but will update soon. YAY!!!!!:love::love::love:

Woo hoo! Congratulations!! I will be more than happy to take the credit for that. ;) After I got the call I actually started jumping up and down. My kids were looking at me like I was weird and they're not even teenagers yet. :laugh:

Woo hoo! Congratulations!! I will be more than happy to take the credit for that. ;) After I got the call I actually started jumping up and down. My kids were looking at me like I was weird and they're not even teenagers yet. :laugh:

i started hyperventilating and happy crying listening to the message. i was driving...not a great combo i have to say. :laugh:

hey, where do i find the reviews that cool people like you did of the interviews?? :D

i started hyperventilating and happy crying listening to the message. i was driving...not a great combo i have to say. :laugh:

hey, where do i find the reviews that cool people like you did of the interviews?? :D
fqureshi4 said:
Hello folks,
I had a quick question(s). What kind of interview questions are asked and what is the format like? i read somewhere that it is a 2 on one format? When do they make decisions after the interview? is it one week after or later? If somebody can answer this or at least PM me the answer, that would be great.

Ok, to find the interview feed back, look at the top of this page, or any page on SDN and click on the interviews link, then medical school, then US schools. That should get you to the page where you need to be where you can choose which school you want to see feed back on. Or just click here and it will take you to the same page. Scroll down to LMU-DCOM and you can see all the interview reviews that have been done. This should answer a bunch of questions about format and some typical questions asked.

As for time frame, they interview on Friday and Tuesday and the ADCOM will look at the interviewees on Thursday and talk with Dean Stowers on Monday about who gets in and things like that. You might get a call, you might just get a letter. I got both, but one of the guys who interviewed with me just got a letter. So look at about a week and a half turn around time after the interview.

Good luck on the interview, one of the girls I work with at the hospital is interviewing that day too. You will fall in love with DCOM after you visit :).

your so lucky, I want to hyperventilate! it is so depressing breathing normally

Lets see, you interviewed last Friday, right EEL? So it will be at least Monday before you hear anything at the earliest, right? Sending you my leftover luck.... ;)

My first interview invite and it just so happens to be at one of my top picks... I'm so excited about seeing DCOM! I find it hard to believe that anything could wipe this cheesy grin off my face. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait... Between the interview and if you get an acceptance, you will find plenty to get that cheesy grin off of your face and replace it with another one! :D :D

Lets see, you interviewed last Friday, right EEL? So it will be at least Monday before you hear anything at the earliest, right? Sending you my leftover luck.... ;)

Based on the folks that interviewed mid-November who haven't heard anything yet and have posted in this thread, it will likely be a bit longer before your interview group is contacted.

Since we're on the subject of the interview feedback...if you've done an interview, please fill out the feedback. It is an excellent resource for those that are nervous about what they will encounter. I was asked many of the questions that I saw in the feedback, but beyond that, the time I spent in front of the mirror just answering the various questions was extremely helpful.

you guys are so great! i would be honored to be learning with you all next year. i'm enjoying reading the feedbacks you all have provided. :)

congrats on the recent interview invites!!! i know this cheesy grin's not going anywhere for awhile!:D

are there any student hosts for DCOM?? trying to book flight/hotel/rental car...and wondering.

i interviewed last friday and i know the admissions committee makes decisions today and then gets ahold of student by phone or mail. i have two interviews next week, one monday in colorado and one wed in florida but i would much rather attend lmu. do you think it would be inappropriate for me to call dr. stowers friday and tell him that i dont want to attend those interviews if i am in at lmu? thanks for you insight.

i interviewed last friday and i know the admissions committee makes decisions today and then gets ahold of student by phone or mail. i have two interviews next week, one monday in colorado and one wed in florida but i would much rather attend lmu. do you think it would be inappropriate for me to call dr. stowers friday and tell him that i dont want to attend those interviews if i am in at lmu? thanks for you insight.

I'd say do not call. They are all extremely busy with day-to-day operations as well as interviews and Dr. Stowers surely has a lot on his plate. Just ride it out like everyone else - at most, drop him an e-mail but I'd even not bother him with that just yet. Go through your interviews and wait for your respective schools to notify you of your acceptances. :thumbup:

FYI - they are a tad behind schedule due to Thanksgiving.

I'd say do not call. They are all extremely busy with day-to-day operations as well as interviews and Dr. Stowers surely has a lot on his plate. Just ride it out like everyone else - at most, drop him an e-mail but I'd even not bother him with that just yet. Go through your interviews and wait for the respective schools to notify you of your acceptances. :thumbup:

FYI - they are a tad behind schedule due to Thanksgiving.

I agree with this. I would not call Dr. Stowers or anybody else with admissions. If I remember correctly, even after meeting today, nothing is completely finalized until Monday or Tuesday, so calling on Friday won't help. I know it would be nice to save money and all, but just go on the interviews and have fun with them.

nascardoc, do you know if there are any student hosts at DCOM??

nascardoc, do you know if there are any student hosts at DCOM??

As far as I know there aren't any student hosts...but when I saw you were from KS (my home state) I was going to volunteer...but then I saw you are a Jayhawk, so the offer is no good. ;)

Just kidding...

If you are interested in hosts, I would contact the admissions staff and ask, as I'm not sure.

Also, please say hi....I don't see many Kansans around here...so it would be nice to chat with someone from my former stomping grounds (I went to Baker).

As far as I know there aren't any student hosts...but when I saw you were from KS (my home state) I was going to volunteer...but then I saw you are a Jayhawk, so the offer is no good. ;)

Just kidding...

If you are interested in hosts, I would contact the admissions staff and ask, as I'm not sure.

Also, please say hi....I don't see many Kansans around here...so it would be nice to chat with someone from my former stomping grounds (I went to Baker).

thanks for the info, MJB. you're right, a ks face would be a big help to me too! i'm so excited!!! :)

(orange bowl-bound for a reason...rock chalk, jayhawk!!) :D

are there any student hosts for DCOM?? trying to book flight/hotel/rental car...and wondering.

I feel I should let you know that you would be WAY better off financially (if that's a concern) flying into Nashville from KC, since it's a Southwest city.

Flying into Knoxville from KC is quite expensive. The drive over from Nashville isn't bad at all.

Let me know if you have questions...

I feel I should let you know that you would be WAY better off financially (if that's a concern) flying into Nashville from KC, since it's a Southwest city.

Flying into Knoxville from KC is quite expensive. The drive over from Nashville isn't bad at all.

Let me know if you have questions...

I would also suggest www.studentuniverse.com for airfare. I got a flight out of Knoxville to Chicago, which was on Expedia for $425, for $140. It is a pretty decent sight.

I can't wait for my interview on January 8th! :hardy: Do any of the current students know if they are going to be at the much anticipated pizza party on the 7th? That should be fun. :)

Also, for those of you who don't live in student housing, was it difficult to find housing for rent? From what I've read, there are not many apartment complexes in the area, so do most of you rent houses?

Another question, roughly what percent of y'all are married and/or have kids?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks :D

I'm sure this has been discussed before but is LMU on pass/fail or letter grades

if anyone who interviewed on 11/16 and has heard back yet please let the rest of us know so we know that calls have been made out to people who got accepted.

Would that reason be losing to Mizzou and thus not really winning anything, or the fact that the AD broke Big 12 rules to get that spot in the Orange Bowl? :D

Big 12 Standings
Kansas 7-1 (conference) 11-1 (overall)
Missouri 7-1 (conference) 11-2 (overall)

which rules were violated exactly?

For those waiting for phone calls, Dr. Stowers has been out of town this whole week. He will be here for a short time tomorrow (basically enough to introduce himself and DCOM to the interviewees) and is flying out sometime in the early afternoon. Obviously, he won't be making any calls tomorrow, so the way you guys will find out is thru the mail. I would imagine you should get something by tomorrow or Saturday. Sorry :oops:

I can't wait for my interview on January 8th! :hardy: Do any of the current students know if they are going to be at the much anticipated pizza party on the 7th? That should be fun. :)

Also, for those of you who don't live in student housing, was it difficult to find housing for rent? From what I've read, there are not many apartment complexes in the area, so do most of you rent houses?

Another question, roughly what percent of y'all are married and/or have kids?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks :D

I am not sure who will be at Oasis that night, but you'll still have fun - I promise.

As for housing, those who rent and don't live in the student housing, we do rent houses. On one of the pages on this thread, Marthea posted a website that has a lot of rental listings. If you find her name and do a post search, you will find it.

I don't know the exact percentage of those married, but we do have a good amount. We also have a good amount of couples with kids as well. I would guess between 10-25% of the class??? That may be on the high end, but I don't know for sure. Sorry...but if you are married, you won't be the odd man out.

Also, a short post in response to one of the interview feedback posts. We do have people of other races at school. Granted, it may not be the highest percentage in the country, but we do have them (notice it is plural :thumbup:), including a few that are from other countries. I just wanted to clarify this point as people begin reading the feedback and seeing that post.

Also, a short post in response to one of the interview feedback posts. We do have people of other races at school. Granted, it may not be the highest percentage in the country, but we do have them (notice it is plural :thumbup:), including a few that are from other countries. I just wanted to clarify this point as people begin reading the feedback and seeing that post.

Wow, I just read that feedback. Let me just say, that I interviewed on that same day and I saw many non-caucasians on campus. The majority of the student body was white, but there were definitely other races represented. I'm brown, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all there. So, don't let that deter you. I feel that I should point this out though. One thing that did stand out to me was in the slide show of the anatomy fashion show that Nascardoc showed I only noticed 1 asian person, if that, and the rest of the people involved were white. I found that to be a little weird, but other than that it was all good. I didn't get any weird looks in town or anything like that.

Thanks nascardoc for answering my questions!

I'm not married, nor do I have kids, but I was worried that I would be the odd woman out because I'm single! Maybe it's just that a lot of DCOM SDNers are married . . . I was beginning to think ~50% of the students were! :laugh:

Wow, I just read that feedback. Let me just say, that I interviewed on that same day and I saw many non-caucasians on campus. The majority of the student body was white, but there were definitely other races represented. I'm brown, and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all there. So, don't let that deter you. I feel that I should point this out though. One thing that did stand out to me was in the slide show of the anatomy fashion show that Nascardoc showed I only noticed 1 asian person, if that, and the rest of the people involved were white. I found that to be a little weird, but other than that it was all good. I didn't get any weird looks in town or anything like that.

Welcome to the south! :laugh: I grew up in Georgia (I now live in California) and there were like maybe 20 asian kids at my high school, along with ~25% black and ~15% "other"! It was weird! :laugh:

Wow, I just read that interview feedback. Interesting to say the least. Wrong, but interesting.

I'm sorry that person had a bad experience...but definitely disagree with their position.

And, I'd like to know where the one lane roads are (that lead to the school)!:D

I personally really like the range of backgrounds our class enjoys. It makes meeting everyone very interesting.

As a final note, I have to wonder if that interviewee has been to Kirksville. :)

I'm not married, nor do I have kids, but I was worried that I would be the odd woman out because I'm single! Maybe it's just that a lot of DCOM SDNers are married . . . I was beginning to think ~50% of the students were! :laugh:

You're not alone! I was wondering about that too, because I'm single. It seemed like so many people applying/attending DCOM are married...but I realized there's quite a skew on SDN :D

Sorry, didn't realize you had ovaries :laugh: We just finished that part of anatomy, so I have to use it when I can. I will try to find out what the percentage of married, etc. is because I've gotten this question a few times. I'll try my best......

Yeah, those pictures were only of those who were actually drawn on, so that was about 20 students of the class. We have more than one.

Okay that was not my interview feedback (I actually haven't gotten around to posting mine yet :oops:) but I do see where that person is coming from in regards to the racial/ethnic issue. I think it's hard to argue against the fact that a vast majority of the people who live in that area are white. It can be a culture shock for some of us who live in other areas. After living in Texas for 6.5 years I was in culture shock when I went back to my hometown in IL and it's fairly diverse. It really depends on what you're used to. My school has a lot of Indian and a lot of African students so it would be an adjustment. Like I said, it's all based on what you're used to.

I just did a quick count of those I KNOW are married in our class...and it's about 25% or so.

I'm not sure what % of those couples have kids...we're not amongst the "with children" crowd...so we're always lookin' for something to do when I have free time. Just cause we're married doesn't mean we're dead. ;)

I'm not sure how many of us are "older", but there's more than I thought there would be....but in the same breath, there's a LOT of youngsters running around. :) Of course, I don't feel (or act) as old as I am either.

I should also include that I limited my count strictly to those that are "officially" married...and did not include those in serious relationships, etc...

So... nascardoc... if I interviewed on the 16th... my acceptance letter should already be in the mail right? Lol... just getting nervous waiting.

Welcome to the south! :laugh: I grew up in Georgia (I now live in California) and there were like maybe 20 asian kids at my high school, along with ~25% black and ~15% "other"! It was weird! :laugh:

ha, ha, I grew up in the South AND went to Vanderbilt (in Nashville) for undergrad, do you want to imagine the minorities there? I think we had two token black people

I moved from Mississippi about 13 years ago which had a very diverse population (Pascagoula is about as far south as you can get in Mississippi). I went to a very small school when I moved here (approximately 30 in my graduating class) in Kingston, TN. We had 1 black guy in the school until my junior year when he left and we didn't have any!

I had 2 thoughts on my first day of school in Tennessee...
Man that's a lot of white kids
...and...
Why does everybody have either a buzzcut or a mullet?

You will not find a lot of diversity in East TN. The Mexican population is growing, but as far as I can tell, pretty much the only place you will find any Asian or Indian crowd is near Oak Ridge (there are a lot of Asian and Indian scientists working at the Oak Ridge National Lab).

To find a lot of diversity you would have to live in a large city like Nashville or Memphis (Nashville is still pretty limited though). You would certainly find more diversity in Knoxville than in Harrogate...but again, it's East Tennessee, home of the farmers and cattle!

I read the feedback as well. It sucks that that person had a bad experience...but it's to be expected that it won't go perfectly every time. I hear tons of stories about how interviewers try to stress you as much as they can just to see how you respond. I know that there aren't really any other interview feedbacks that have said that...but like I said in an earlier post: me, Rose, and maybe one other person from our group posts on SDN...so the majority of our group somehow have not ever used SDN (it's possible that they're insane, don't have a computer, or haven't heard of the internet), which means we only hear about how the interviews went from a small percentage of the interviewees.

If whoever posted that feedback is reading this thread...I'm really sorry about your bad experience. Maybe the interviewers were having a bad day...who knows...but I think your feedback is extremely important. It will help people to realize that although 95% of the time everything is laid back and conversational that they should prepare to be in that other 5%. These people are trying to pick 160 people out of 2000 applications...that would definitely stress me!

I'm not sure how many of us are "older", but there's more than I thought there would be....but in the same breath, there's a LOT of youngsters running around. :) Of course, I don't feel (or act) as old as I am either.

You know just earlier today you told me that you were old and didn't move so fast so I wasn't allowed to trip you. Now that you've said you don't feel so old you can't complain anymore. HA! :smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.