LMCC I - Any advice from prior test takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm writing LMCC Pt-I in a couple of months and was wondering you have tips on ways to prepare? I know everyone tries to memorize the T.O. Notes, any other approaches that you'd suggest if you've taken it before?

The "objectives" PDF file on the MCC website is incredibly vague and essentially requires you to "know everything about everything"...Is there any straight basic science on this test or is it more clinical and on par with USMLE Steps II/III?

THanks for any tips! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I have any specific tips for you. I wrote my LMCC Part I in May 1995, and I had a 39C fever, a splitting headache, and had received a litre of fluids IV the night before! I just knew I did NOT want to study for it all over again so I showed up and wrote the bloody thing, and passed. Ergo, it couldn't have been that hard! LOL

Seriously, most students who were conscientious, kept up, and fared fairly well through med school do fine on the LMCC Part I. I do remember that when I wrote my Family Med board exams a couple of years later, I wished that I had used the Fam Med board reviews to help me with part of my LMCC. As for basic sciences, though, I think I just reviewed my basic science notes from med school and left it at that. I don't remember any specifics of how I studied, though, so this may not be much help.

Good luck!

Skye

Walking into the exam hall, I was quite surprised at how little really my classmates or I knew about this exam that we were taking - except for the fact that it was loooooooong.

I took USMLE Step 2 CK, CS and LMCC Part I within a month of each other and passed them all. The USMLEs were my priority with the usual USMLE review texts, and any studying for Part I above and beyond that was very minimal (scanning the good but not great T.O. Notes and doing the sample questions).

I don't remember there being very much basic science on Part I. At least not on the scale of Step 1.

Bottomline: If you were comfortable with Steps 2 and 3, you'll do fine on Part I :)