Living alone or with roommates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamdragonborn

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I will be starting medical school next year at VCOM up in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and I am trying to decide whether or not I should live alone for my first year or find other VCOM students to live with. I wrote out a list of pros and cons for both, but I want to get others' personal experiences either living alone or with someone else during med school. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Roommates. I lived alone the first year and got roommates the second. Having always had roommates in college. Depression when studying all day is a thing lol

This is a really individual issue. It really is going to mostly depend on your personality, but I'd say the fact that you are considering a roomie suggests that you are more likely to be someone who would enjoy having one. Most folks who need to live alone because they want their space and their privacy, etc. know that about themselves from the start and wouldn't even bother asking the question.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends entirely on you. I personally like being able to roll out of bed at 11am on a saturday half nude and not have to worry about being disturbed or disturbing someone else in my kitchen.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey all! I will be starting medical school next year at VCOM up in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and I am trying to decide whether or not I should live alone for my first year or find other VCOM students to live with. I wrote out a list of pros and cons for both, but I want to get others' personal experiences either living alone or with someone else during med school. Thanks!

I lived alone first two years so I could keep odd sleep and studying hours without bothering anyone and that was great. Then roommates for clinical years, so we could share clinical stories, and that was great. Would recommend!

I like to live on a weird schedule so I didn't want a roommate but I knew that from the getgo. It is truly just a personal preference. If you want the privacy and flexibility of living alone go for it. If you prefer to have someone there to share responsibilities with that's ok too.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends entirely on you. I personally like being able to roll out of bed at 11am on a saturday half nude and not have to worry about being disturbed or disturbing someone else in my kitchen.

Currently 4th year college student with a roommate. I roll out of bed every day half naked and he doesn't seem to care...either that or he's pretty done with my ****

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the guy above. Personality is what determines if you like roommates or not. I prefer to live alone because that's how I am. But from my experiences, here are advantages of having a roommate:

1)Cheaper rent than living alone.
2)You automatically have someone you can practice OMM on.
3)If you're having trouble with some concept, your roommate's usually a door away.