listing rotations on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmphoTerrible

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you think is better to do:
1)Simply list the rotations you have done.
2)List the rotations with a summary of activities performed on each one?
I have heard from 2 different residency directors both options. What did/do you all do?

Members don't see this ad.

Which do you think is better to do:
1)Simply list the rotations you have done.
2)List the rotations with a summary of activities performed on each one?
I have heard from 2 different residency directors both options. What did/do you all do?

I would do 2, list a summary of what you've done during that rotation.

I did 1.

You can put projects/presentations elsewhere. Otherwise you get a lot of the same "Rounded with a multidisciplinary team. Ensured GI and DVT prophylaxis. Adjusted medications for renal function" It gets redundant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 1.

You can put projects/presentations elsewhere. Otherwise you get a lot of the same "Rounded with a multidisciplinary team. Ensured GI and DVT prophylaxis. Adjusted medications for renal function" It gets redundant.

Agreed. I just put my rotations down.

I did #2 as a student, #1 as a resident.

The past few days I've spoken to two pharmacists on two different residency program interview committees and they both said they prefer #2 but it sure is interesting to see the different opinions on this subject.

my current program director prefers #2. I'm still sticking with #1.

my thought behind #2 is that by listing what you have done on rotations, there may be a project that you did that might catch someones eye, or if you went above and beyond the requirements, an interview committee may be more inclined to meet with you versus just listing where you have been. Basically being able to showcase what you have done. Does this make sense?

That's why you have a separate project/presentation section.

Bump. Does anyone have any additional opinions on this issue? I currently have #1, but at my school's presentation they told us to do #2 especially if you are considering out-of-state residencies.

Every pharmacy student everywhere does the same old stuff each rotation type, no need to list details.

Every pharmacy student everywhere does the same old stuff each rotation type, no need to list details.

Most residency programs understand what you do on a community rotation, internal med, etc...

If you did any interesting presentations or projects, list them in a seperate section as njac said prior.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I guess I'll keep my rotations at #1 then.

One more question: should I also list journal club article presentations or should I only include topic/case presentations on CV?

Last edited:

One more question: should I also list journal club article presentations or should I only include topic/case presentations on CV?
I wouldn't. Everyone does or should do journal clubs during P4, so it's nothing too special or interesting.

I wouldn't... it cheapens the whole CV and makes it look like you are desperately trying to beef it up. Also, it may lead the reader to wonder how many other projects/presentations listed were really a 10-minute mandatory in-class assignment versus something more robust.

Speaking of formatting rotations for CV, I would not include the duties, definitely, since everyone does just about the same thing at the regular clinical/institutional/retail rotations. However, if you have done some really different rotations (i.e. managed care, industry, international, research), these may warrant more detailed description. And since everything should be formatted differently, then the run-off-the-mill rotations would have to have descriptions underneath them as well. And you can consider a compromise version, where you don't boggle the reader down with the repetitive detail, but instead just highlight one or at most two really key projects for that rotation.

General rule is, if you really want to talk about it during your interview, make sure it features prominently enough on your CV so that reader notices it and asks about it. :)

I like #2 (but just for the past year only). I agree that a lot of the presentations that you give can be placed in a seperate "presentation" section, but after doing my PGY1 and PGY2 at two seperate hospital systems, I have realized that rotations are VERY different from place to place. Some sites will require you to do order entry during your rotation while others won't. Some will involve interacting with different medical teams, performing pharmacokinetics, Pyxis access and troubleshooting, topic discussions, precepting students (and to what extent?), informal presentations such as journal clubs, acting independently vs. heavy preceptor reliance.. etc. I think another important point to highlight on a CV is patient load -> completing a MICU rotation where you are responsible for following 20 patients vs 5 patients. I think it says a lot about your abilities and what you can handle if you have experience with a heavy patient load and still made quality recommendations.

This is just my personal experience, I agree that having rotation descriptions for clerkships, PGY1, and PGY2 can be very cumbersome and difficult to navigate as a potential employer, but I think mentioning some of the unique things you have done during a particular rotation helps differentiate you from other CVs with very minimal information.

:)

I've heard both opinions.... the pharmacist from ACCP who edited my CV said that ACPE has pretty standard guidelines for rotations and that what you actually did would be a good topic for conversation during the interview. I'm going to go with no descriptions.

I have a few CV- related questions:

1. I'm in a 6 year program and on our transcripts, the school does not do professional and cumulative gpa separately, it is just cumulative. Does it look tacky if I list out my GPAs on my CV under education?? My professional GPA is a little better than my cumulative...

2. For publications, should I only list things that have been actually submitted to a journal? Or can I include things I am currently working on and plan to publish?

3. references at the end of a CV?? I've heard both yes and no on this one also.

4. For journal clubs, should I list the actual citation of the article?

thanks!

I've heard both opinions.... the pharmacist from ACCP who edited my CV said that ACPE has pretty standard guidelines for rotations and that what you actually did would be a good topic for conversation during the interview. I'm going to go with no descriptions.

I have a few CV- related questions:

1. I'm in a 6 year program and on our transcripts, the school does not do professional and cumulative gpa separately, it is just cumulative. Does it look tacky if I list out my GPAs on my CV under education?? My professional GPA is a little better than my cumulative...

2. For publications, should I only list things that have been actually submitted to a journal? Or can I include things I am currently working on and plan to publish?

3. references at the end of a CV?? I've heard both yes and no on this one also.

4. For journal clubs, should I list the actual citation of the article?

thanks!

1. I've heard from many not to put your GPA on your CV at all. It will be there on your transcript. I imagine programs don't just look at overall GPA but grades in the important (pharmacy) classes also. I did list my GPA for my BS and Pharm.D. as a student, but I will likely remove it for PGY2 applications.

2. You can have a separate section for projects in progress. Those already published under "publications" and others under "research" or something along those lines.

3. No references. If anything, "References available upon request."

4. Don't list journal clubs. (At least, that's my opinion.)

1. I didn't list my GPA but if you graduated with honors, list that
2. I wouldn't put things you "plan to publish" unless they have been submitted for publication especially since you can only plan to submit for publication, you can't plan for publication per se.
3. I agree, no references
4. Again, no journal clubs

^ oh great suggestions. Thanks! What do you guys think about ending a CV with clinical and research interests? I want to add a more personal ending that would make a great discussion topic during an interview. My CV ends with "languages" and it just feels incomplete....

^ oh great suggestions. Thanks! What do you guys think about ending a CV with clinical and research interests? I want to add a more personal ending that would make a great discussion topic during an interview. My CV ends with "languages" and it just feels incomplete....
CVs are pretty impersonal things, IMO. I wouldn't add that at the end. You could put a line about it in your objective if you really wanted to. If you look at example CVs (doesn't ASHP put out a CV writing guide? I think I have it somewhere...) most end with references available upon request or something similar. What you're suggesting is what could come up in interviews or in a cover letter, I wouldn't put it in on the CV itself, but that's JMHO.

Stick to the facts, ma'am (or sir)

Thank you everyone - this is very helpful for cleaning up my CV :)

I'm confused now...journal clubs aren't ok, but a topic/case discussion is ok to include? To me, they're about an equal amount of work...At the site I'm at right now, JCs are serious business and usually warrant an hour of discussion (which usually devolves into a mini topic discussion).

Maybe I'm just in the minority, especially since I think it makes sense to include short blurbs on what you did on each APPE.

I'm confused now...journal clubs aren't ok, but a topic/case discussion is ok to include? To me, they're about an equal amount of work...At the site I'm at right now, JCs are serious business and usually warrant an hour of discussion (which usually devolves into a mini topic discussion).

Maybe I'm just in the minority, especially since I think it makes sense to include short blurbs on what you did on each APPE.
I wouldn't include case or topic discussions either. Formal presentations especially to people outside your department :thumbup:

I wouldn't include case or topic discussions either. Formal presentations especially to people outside your department :thumbup:

Agreed. Is the discussion just a small group sitting around and discussing (even with you leading)? To me, that isn't something worth putting on your CV. I think its something everyone should have done routinely during rotations/residency. Formal case presentations and other presentations (like those where you stand up and do the majority of the speaking) should be included.

If you want someone to review your CV, I may have some time. PM me

Similar questions:
What types of projects should be included from P4 year (or kept for those of us who are currently PGY1)? What are you definitely getting rid of? I have things like dosing guidelines that I put together for use by interns/residents or in the ED at a hospital that I'm unsure about. My friend and I were also debating drug monographs, but I think they're along the lines of journal clubs that might take time but sort of weaken the CV.

Also, as a PGY1 resident applying for PGY2, does it look bad if I have much more from P4 rotations than residency?

Similar questions:
What types of projects should be included from P4 year (or kept for those of us who are currently PGY1)? What are you definitely getting rid of? I have things like dosing guidelines that I put together for use by interns/residents or in the ED at a hospital that I'm unsure about. My friend and I were also debating drug monographs, but I think they're along the lines of journal clubs that might take time but sort of weaken the CV.

Also, as a PGY1 resident applying for PGY2, does it look bad if I have much more from P4 rotations than residency?

no, we get that you've completed your P4 year and are barely halfway into your PGY1.

Monographs vary in intensity depending on institution.

no, we get that you've completed your P4 year and are barely halfway into your PGY1.

Monographs vary in intensity depending on institution.

Can you tell the pre-midyear stress and anxiety is starting to kick in? I'm doubting all sorts of things that I normally wouldn't.