List of Stereotypes Step 1!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it may be fun to start a thread of stereotypes we see in FA/Uworld. I don't even know if stereotype is the right word. Maybe associations based on ethnicity/region/gender/etc...

I'll start! (And if no one else likes this game, I'll probably be the only one posting).

Takayasu- Asian

Members don't see this ad.

Marijuana users being "prone to silliness". I kid you not.

It made my day.

Thanks for understanding, uWorld.

someone may have said this, but nurses will pretty much inject themselves with whatever they find in the hospital to test you on crazy overdoses

Members don't see this ad :)
This one is obvious. Alcoholic = Folate / Thiamine deficiency.

The reason I bring this up is: Why on earth don't they supplement Beer with Thiamine? I mean, they are already putting Vitamin D in milk, etc...

It's obviously a problem, so beer companies listen up! Put some thiamine in there. Or would that not work?

They actually tried this in the past but it made the beer taste funny

good cases has posted from Phloston

From GT:

"A 17-year-old male who recently emigrated, with his family, from Cambodia presents in your clinic for continued management of his anemia. His peripheral smear is shown. A medical report indicates the presence of hemoglobin α2δ2. Which is the likely diagnosis?

A. Iron deficiency anemia
B. One deletion of the α-globin gene
C. Two deletions of the β-globin gene
D. Two deletions of the α-globin gene
E. Three deletions of the β-globin gene

Answer Explanation

The correct answer is D.

This patient has a hypochromic, microcytic anemia. Classically, the presence of HbA2 (α2δ2) suggests β-thalassemia minor. However, this is not one of the answer choices.

The learning point is that HbA2 is present in mild alpha-thalassemia – there's not enough of an alpha-chain deficiency to prevent the formation of HbA2. Hence, the correct answer is 2 deletions of the α-globin gene.

One α-globin deletion would not cause a microcytic anemia. Two deletions of the β-globin gene would cause beta-thalassemia major."
The blood smear just showed typical target cells.

I understand the "learning point" that two alpha deletions could still yield the possibility for increased HbA2 and that him being Asian makes alpha, vs beta, more likely. I'm not questioning that.

I would just think HbA2 levels would, overall, be highest in Cooley's because there's no other way to compensate than to produce HbA2 and HbF (and epsilon and other less significant types), whereas in alpha thalassaemia trait (two deletions), although HbA2 is found, it wouldn't be nearly as abundant because HbA1 is still produced.

The only thing I can think of is that this question-writer was merely trying to emphasize the point that he's Asian and nothing else. Therefore, beta shouldn't even be considered, and that's the only alpha choice that's relevant.

Any question stating a boy starts getting sick at 6 months. Answer = X-linked agammaglobulinemia.

Boy with bleeding issue = Hemophilia A or B (both X-linked).

Chick with bleeding issue = vWD (autosomal dominant).

Reactions: 1 user
great work phloston, if u think of anymore, kindly post them on the thread
Any question stating a boy starts getting sick at 6 months. Answer = X-linked agammaglobulinemia.

Boy with bleeding issue = Hemophilia A or B (both X-linked).

Chick with bleeding issue = vWD (autosomal dominant).

I swear this stuff could get you 25 % of the questions on your its own. buzzwords are huge. In most u-world questions, I feel like the most pertinent info is less than 5 words

Members don't see this ad :)
This stuff is great but IMHO these days, buzzwords are only there as a trap.
Agreed. Still, the thread is gold. I've been laughing during Q blocks when I troll upon one of these stereotype questions.

At the rate they ask about 22q11 or chronic granulomatous disease you would think that 40% of the worlds population was affected

Young people are always sexually active (unless proven otherwise) and get septic arthritis.

College kids are always kissing to get Mono and want to play football with an enlarged spleen.

Medical students/ student nurses never get vaccinated for Hepatitis B.

Bats always tend to fly into the bedrooms with open windows.

You will always get a tick on you while being outdoors on east coast.

Last edited:
6-10 month old baby crying --> Stranger Anxiety
Alpha Thallesemia --> Asians
Farmer/Gardeners/Field workers --> Organophosphate poisioning
Rose gardner --> Sporothrix schenkii

Medical students/ student nurses never get vaccinated for Hepatitis B.

Kind of surprised the NBME/USMLE use this one considering Hep B vaccines are required in US medical schools.

Rose gardner --> Sporothrix schenkii

I've also seen sporothrix (2-3 different resources) in farmers who were recently unloading hay bales!

Bodybuilder/Athlete = steroids or ephedrine. I always think yohimbine when I read about a bodybuilder, but it's always ephedrine. I think test writers might eventually get keen to the popularity of yohimbine in supplements and perhaps start writing questions about it.

Farmer/Gardeners/Field workers --> Organophosphate poisoning
# Organophosphate poisoning --> miosis, sweating, vomiting, salivation, lacrimation, bronchospasm, bradycardia, diarrhea and intestinal colic's, Muscle twiches followed by cranial nerve palsies, weakness of neck flexors, proximal muscle weakness and respiratory muscle paralysis, Delayed neuropathy. Treated by Oximes (Pralidoxime)

Farmers are always out in the sun (without sunscreen) getting SCC on their head/neck arm etc

Adolescent girls/model with low BMI - anorexia nervosa (bulimia nervosa if enamel erosion and/or Russell sign is present)

Adolescent girls/model with low BMI - anorexia nervosa (bulimia nervosa if enamel erosion and/or Russell sign is present)

Don't get tricked into picking bulimia nervosa when the answer is actually anorexia nervosa. Enamel erosion or russell sign or any other exam findings classic for bulimia nervosa can be seen in anorexia nervosa. If there's enamel erosion/russell plus signs of starvation or severe malnutrition the answer is anorexia nervosa.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't get tricked into picking bulimia nervosa when the answer is actually anorexia nervosa. Enamel erosion or russell sign or any other exam findings classic for bulimia nervosa can be seen in anorexia nervosa. If there's enamel erosion/russell plus signs of starvation or severe malnutrition the answer is anorexia nervosa.
Body image/wt is the most reliable sign.

Body image/wt is the most reliable sign.
Yep, just remember bulimia nervosa pts also can have normal or even a bit below normal BMI (due to vomiting or using laxatives ) while anorexia nervosa pts tend to have very low BMI and severe malnutrition which leads to osteoporosis and amenorrhea (due to HPO suppression).

This thread is great!

Here are some travel infection associations:

Eosinophilia, Fresh water (infected by snails) swimming
Schistosomiasis

Travel to Africa, tick bite, eschar
Rickettsia africae

Pregnancy, Hepatitis. Indian subcontinent
Hepatitis E

Painless ulcers, sand fly bite
Leishmaniasis

Sub-Saharan East Africa, Mental status changes
African sleeping sickness

Hepatitis, Animal urine
Leptospirosis

Diarrhea, rice-water stool
Cholera

Yep, just remember bulimia nervosa pts also can have normal or even a bit below normal BMI (due to vomiting or using laxatives ) while anorexia nervosa pts tend to have very low BMI and severe malnutrition which leads to osteoporosis and amenorrhea (due to HPO suppression).

Anorexia: Too concern on weight + appearance + has false image.
Weight will be down.

Bulimia: Too concern on weight + appearance alone.
Weight will be normal.

Just got a Peruvian w/ esophageal dysmotility = Chagas on UWorld haha good thing I read this post yesterday
I don't want to go off-topic, but there was this little note in Science last month, mentioning, that chagas disease might be linked to the big guinea pig population in South America. [1]

[1] http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2...s-may-explain-high-rates-deadly-parasite-peru

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users