List of all Categorical DR (& IR) programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bbroush

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm married and have 2 kids and the prospect of moving my family twice in 12 months sounds horrendous. Is there a place I can find a list of all Categorical programs?

Yes I realize I can apply to internships in the same city but with that being through the match there are no guarantees that will work out well.

Congrats to all those who have recently matched as well :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

this info is in some other threads. Also, when ERAS opens up you will very clearly see which programs are categorical by going through the list

Reactions: 1 user
And some programs may change mid application cycle. Happened to several this year. I'm very lucky to have matched into a surgery prelim in the same city as my residency, but it was a close call. Surgery prelim interviews were hard to come by for some cities, and I got >20 IR interviews so I feel that I should have been competitive. My advice, and I know a lot of us on the trail did this, email or call ahead to the surgery dept and let hem know you will be in town, then ask very kindly (e.g. "I would be honored to train in your dept for a year and would be very interested in meeting With you ...blah blah blah. Some places rolled out the red carpet for you while others sent a snobbish reply that you would have to be considered later with the rest of the prelims, and some offered to rank you without an interview (e.g. mayo, monte). I would just keep being proactive and try to limit your travel. You don't want to be flying back across the country for prelim interviews.

Hopefully you will land at a categorical place. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Also keep in mind that there are several programs that aren't officially labeled as categorical, but still guarantee you an intern year with them if you want it. In the state of Texas, Temple Scott and White, UTHSCSA, and Baylor Dallas do it this way.

Maine Medical Center
USF has 2 categorical spots

And some programs may change mid application cycle. Happened to several this year. I'm very lucky to have matched into a surgery prelim in the same city as my residency, but it was a close call. Surgery prelim interviews were hard to come by for some cities, and I got >20 IR interviews so I feel that I should have been competitive. My advice, and I know a lot of us on the trail did this, email or call ahead to the surgery dept and let hem know you will be in town, then ask very kindly (e.g. "I would be honored to train in your dept for a year and would be very interested in meeting With you ...blah blah blah. Some places rolled out the red carpet for you while others sent a snobbish reply that you would have to be considered later with the rest of the prelims, and some offered to rank you without an interview (e.g. mayo, monte). I would just keep being proactive and try to limit your travel. You don't want to be flying back across the country for prelim interviews.

Hopefully you will land at a categorical place. Best of luck

So this might be a dumb question, (mind you, I'm about to start my 3rd year so I have time/I won't be looking at ERAS for over a year) but if you want to NOT be in a situation where you are moving twice in 12 months, do you rank for your PGY-1 match and PGY-2 match in the same order? Just as an example: PGY1: 1. MGH 2. MIR 3. Stanford 4. UCLA 5. UCSF PGY2 1. MGH 2. MIR 3. Stanford 4. UCLA 5. UCSF ? Is that the way you'd do it?

Just curious. Thanks guys!

So this might be a dumb question, (mind you, I'm about to start my 3rd year so I have time/I won't be looking at ERAS for over a year) but if you want to NOT be in a situation where you are moving twice in 12 months, do you rank for your PGY-1 match and PGY-2 match in the same order? Just as an example: PGY1: 1. MGH 2. MIR 3. Stanford 4. UCLA 5. UCSF PGY2 1. MGH 2. MIR 3. Stanford 4. UCLA 5. UCSF ? Is that the way you'd do it?

Just curious. Thanks guys!

Not exactly. There is one primary rank list you submit which includes all of your advanced programs (e.g. all the rads programs you interviewed at). Then you also submit what is called the supplemental rank order list with prelim programs for each specific rads program on your primary rank list. So, if you rank 10 rads programs, you'd have 10 unique supplemental rank lists for each rads program. Using the match algorithm, the NRMP will first match you to a primary program, then it will pull the supplemental rank list you created for that specific rads program and attempt to match you on that list. This is how you maximize your chances of getting the most attractive internship for a particular residency.

@clutch21 that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for explaining it. It sounds like that makes it much easier to intern in at least the same city, if not the same program

Last edited: