This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_zed24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe it's a dumb question, but why is lipid rescue therapy used to reverse intoxication with a local anesthetic (LA) agent? I know the rationale behind this is that LA molecules are lipophilic and will leave the blood to get into the lipid solution, but won't the lipid phase just kind of.. stay in the blood anyway? Or is it flushed out in some way? Also, how can the lipid rescue get the LA agent out of the organs in which it's already diffused and causing toxicity, say the heart or the nerves? Is it the same mechanism as before (lipid solution is way more lipophilic than any organ the LA molecule might have diffused in so the LA agent just leaves the organ by osmosis)?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

There are 2 main theories if I remember:
-Lipid rescue absorbs and holds onto the LA thus decreasing the total in the blood and hopefully below the toxicity threshold for heart/brain.
-Lipid rescue absorbs the LA and redistributes to liver and fat-storing areas which decreased the burden on the brain and cardiac systems

Reactions: 1 user
That makes a lot of sense, thank you!!
There are 2 main theories if I remember:
-Lipid rescue absorbs and holds onto the LA thus decreasing the total in the blood and hopefully below the toxicity threshold for heart/brain.
-Lipid rescue absorbs the LA and redistributes to liver and fat-storing areas which decreased the burden on the brain and cardiac systems