Linac based repeat srs dose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandelin Rain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1 progressive lesion of many treated melanoma mets. Previous dose 20Gy in 1 fx a year ago. 1.5 cm now with moderate vasogenic edema.

Thinking of fractionated approach. 6Gy x 5 or 9 Gy x 3. Any consensus?

Members don't see this ad.

1 progressive lesion of many treated melanoma mets. Previous dose 20Gy in 1 fx a year ago. 1.5 cm now with moderate vasogenic edema.

Thinking of fractionated approach. 6Gy x 5 or 9 Gy x 3. Any consensus?

No consensus. My first choice would be surgery to confirm growth of disease as opposed to RT necrosis. If you're convinced or resection is not feasible I would do 6 Gy x 5.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spect MRI most consistent with tumor. Patient obviously doesn't want surgery (who does?).

Surgery first, if pt refuses, then 6 Gy x 5 is what I would do

Reactions: 1 users
Wake forest has some toxicity data on re-treatment:

Plan for say 18x1, evaluating minimization of composite V40 with previous treatment, then after plan is completed, change prescription to 9x3 would be my go-to.

At a few places that I have worked, we had NSG use LITT in these circumstances... with the added benefit of obtaining a biopsy to determine necrosis vs. recurrence.

Reactions: 1 user
This clinical case is becoming more common. I swear pre immunotherapy I never saw this. Everyone died a year later.

All I can say is get the bevacizumab ready. Works like a charm when you’re scratching your head on necrosis vs progression 3 months later.

This clinical case is becoming more common. I swear pre immunotherapy I never saw this. Everyone died a year later.

All I can say is get the bevacizumab ready. Works like a charm when you’re scratching your head on necrosis vs progression 3 months later.

Had one patient with steroid-refractory necrosis (like 8mg BID kept her symptoms in check but couldn't wean her off at all), who refused surgery (as she'd already had at least 2-3 resections) and finally convinced a med-onc to give the Avastin. The low-dose Avastin worked like a charm. Wish it wasn't so painful to convince med-onc/neuro-onc to give it.

It depends where you are. Med oncs are happy to give it for necrosis in my experience

The discussion of necrosis as a foregone conclusion has me bummed.

I mean it's not 100% but probably closer to 20-30%, which is not nothing.

Sorry to clarify - I mean the risk of necrosis after you re-treat this. Melanoma brain mets not having 100% success rate to SRS is not unexpected.

If you're not convinced it's necrosis now, then reasonable IMO to re-treat.

Last edited: