Limit on Contacts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awrar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went to Costco today to refill on contacts (my prescription expires in 2 weeks) but they told me I could only buy 1 box. Also they said there was a limit of 8 boxes your could buy in a year? Is this true or are they just trying to get me to see their optometrist again. I think it's ridiculous because I have the rx so I'm not going to get the wrong kind of contacts and it's not expired yet, do i HAVE to go see my optometrist just so he can re-write a script?

Members don't see this ad.

Went to Costco today to refill on contacts (my prescription expires in 2 weeks) but they told me I could only buy 1 box. Also they said there was a limit of 8 boxes your could buy in a year? Is this true or are they just trying to get me to see their optometrist again. I think it's ridiculous because I have the rx so I'm not going to get the wrong kind of contacts and it's not expired yet, do i HAVE to go see my optometrist just so he can re-write a script?
Generally, when you get your contact lens Rx, it's for a year's supply. Not an unlimited number of contacts as long as you buy them within a year of your exam date. 8 boxes is a one-year supply for two-week replacement lenses.

Yes you need a new script. Contact lenses are a prescription MEDICAL device. Just like a year Rx of birth control or HTN meds you can only fill a year's worth. You can't "stock up".

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. I'm amazed Costco actually said no.

LOL. I have worked at Lenscrafters. If someone came in with a contact lens prescription that expired in a month and they wanted to buy a year supply we were supposed to suggest making an eye appointment since it was basically expired. A lot of times the patient said no. And we were required to sale them a year's supply of contacts. Their mantra is "the customer is always right." The only good thing is Lenscrafters lets them exchange unopened boxes when they eventually come back for their eye appointment and new rx. But I can't tell you how many times I took back patients for the pre-tests and they had spaced out their contacts so long. They would tell me that they only get eye exams every 2-3 years minimum just by working the system and buying contacts. I honestly don't understand that. If I did wear contacts, I would not take risks like that with my eyes!

If someone came in with a contact lens prescription that expired in a month and they wanted to buy a year supply we were supposed to suggest making an eye appointment since it was basically expired. But I can't tell you how many times I took back patients for the pre-tests and they had spaced out their contacts so long. They would tell me that they only get eye exams every 2-3 years minimum just by working the system and buying contacts.

I applaud Costco. Most commercial entities would just dispense as many CL boxes as the patient wanted. Studies show CL patients that buy CL's from their doctors have less incidence of microbial keratitis.

I no longer fit Acuvue contacts for new fits. Those "studies" on the back of magazines that state how compliance in 2 week CL's are not reflected in my practice. I would say only 25% are switching every two weeks. I'm tired of trying to convince people to switch their AV's every two weeks. Their answer: my old doctor said I could wear them 1 or two months before switching AV's. Patients will often say CL's are too expensive. Their questionnaire will state they smoke 1 pack a day, drink once per week, have an iphone service plan with data package. Yet they can not afford $200-$300 for a supply of CL's.

My contact lenses of choice: Air Optix Aqua, Air Optix Aqua Night and Day, Purevision 2, Purevision, Biofinity, Proclear, Focus Dailies with Aqua Release.