Limerick Interviews 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Sassa! Just received my interview invite today. Things are finally looking up :)
Hey do you mind sharing your stats? And did you get any other offers/interviews from other schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey do you mind sharing your stats? And did you get any other offers/interviews from other schools.
Sorry for the delay in response.
cGPA: 3.5-3.6

MCAT: 31

ECs: I haven't really done a lot of things that are geared towards medicine per say (I've shadowed a doctor but that's about it, no clinical research). Majority of my ECs come from school and community involvements like club executive (several times), social justice trips, mentoring, orientation leader and similar things to these. I've had the opportunity to work several times in a team which might be a plus (I'm not sure about this)

I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to yet

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone.
I also have an Interview with Limerick on April 10th, Toronto. Thank you for all the posts with the interview advice/prep by past students.
Not sure if this is the right thread to post my question in .. but why not. How does Limerick compare to the other Irish med schools like UD Trinity college UCC RCSI, in terms of prestige, prep for the boards, electives, & clinical practice? With most of the Limerick posts it seems that there is an issue with electives, the schedule, and a lack of support from the University. Does anyone know if this is the similar case in the other Irish universities?
I really enjoy the PBL approach which is making Limerick more appealing to me, but I'm really debating if I should go to Limerick if accepted (hopefully) or wait out a year, take a stab at the new MCAT and apply to states (MD+DO) and Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone.
I also have an Interview with Limerick on April 10th, Toronto. Thank you for all the posts with the interview advice/prep by past students.
Not sure if this is the right thread to post my question in .. but why not. How does Limerick compare to the other Irish med schools like UD Trinity college UCC RCSI, in terms of prestige, prep for the boards, electives, & clinical practice? With most of the Limerick posts it seems that there is an issue with electives, the schedule, and a lack of support from the University. Does anyone know if this is the similar case in the other Irish universities?
I really enjoy the PBL approach which is making Limerick more appealing to me, but I'm really debating if I should go to Limerick if accepted (hopefully) or wait out a year, take a stab at the new MCAT and apply to states (MD+DO) and Canada.

I've answered all of this on the first page and others have as well.

Looking forward to meeting those interviewing tomorrow :) . I'm a bit jittery but hopefully it goes smoothly. Wishing everyone the very best!

Hello everyone.

Just curious...how did today's session go? What was the turn out like in terms of number of applicants? Thanks!

Hey Sassa,
I'm just wondering, last year did they have multiple rounds of offers for limerick? What was the latest offer you've seen.
Also, did you get any other offers from other schools or just limerick last year?

Hey Sassa,
I'm just wondering, last year did they have multiple rounds of offers for limerick? What was the latest offer you've seen.
Also, did you get any other offers from other schools or just limerick last year?

i was accepted two years ago - only Limerick. They only had one round of offers which went out the week after the interviews.

Rumour had it that there were two rounds of offers last year but I wasn't paying attention to the boards much in that regard. Once May hits, it's study and exam time.

So I guess I haven't personally seen anything past end of April.

Does anyone know the exact dates of the school year at U of L for GEM? Including summer/winter holidays, week's off throughout the year, etc. I know it varies a bit between the different Irish graduate entry medicine schools so I just want to have a comparison for UL.

Thanks!

Does anyone know the exact dates of the school year at U of L for GEM? Including summer/winter holidays, week's off throughout the year, etc. I know it varies a bit between the different Irish graduate entry medicine schools so I just want to have a comparison for UL.

Thanks!

For First Year:

You will start the first week of September for International students.

Christmas will be from about December 18th-Jan 4th (usually the Friday before Christmas to the Monday / Tuesday after New Years)

Easter break is the week before Easter + Easter Monday (total 10 days).

You will finish roughly the 2nd week of June (Friday closest to June 14th).

Long weekends include end of October (bank holiday), mid March (St. Patrick's Day), beginning of May (bank holiday).

The school year for 2nd year starts a week earlier and ends a week earlier, same Christmas exam schedule, and the same Easter and long weekend holidays.

The school year for 3rd and 4th year are completely different in that you will start mid-August and end beginning to mid-May, with no Easter break.

Thank you that is very helpful!

For First Year:

Christmas will be from about December 18th-Jan 4th (usually the Friday before Christmas to the Monday / Tuesday after New Years)

Long weekends include end of October (bank holiday), mid March (St. Patrick's Day), beginning of May (bank holiday).

The school year for 2nd year starts a week earlier and ends a week earlier, same Christmas exam schedule, and the same Easter and long weekend holidays.

The school year for 3rd and 4th year are completely different in that you will start mid-August and end beginning to mid-May, with no Easter break.

Congratulations to those who were accepted to UL for medicine next year! I really liked the school after the interview and I had a way better feeling about it as compared to the other Irish schools so I am happy. There are a lot of positives for me, especially the PBL curriculum as I am a practically oriented learner who learns best through engagement with a small group and the fact that it is a new school where they really want the individual to do well and return to Canada. However, I still am not 100% sure of my decision as it's not one to take lightly with the prospects of returning to Canada afterwards and which specialties are possible. I was always interested to do OB/GYN but I am thinking family medicine might be better suited for having a family and children later, as well as a more broad scope of practice. Is it practical to hope to do something like OB/GYN and also return to Canada for residency? Also for me, I am not looking forward to the prospect of doing a long distance relationship across the atlantic. Anyone have thoughts on how to manage a LDR during medical school or know anyone who has done it successfully?

Congratulations to those who were accepted to UL for medicine next year! I really liked the school after the interview and I had a way better feeling about it as compared to the other Irish schools so I am happy. There are a lot of positives for me, especially the PBL curriculum as I am a practically oriented learner who learns best through engagement with a small group and the fact that it is a new school where they really want the individual to do well and return to Canada. However, I still am not 100% sure of my decision as it's not one to take lightly with the prospects of returning to Canada afterwards and which specialties are possible. I was always interested to do OB/GYN but I am thinking family medicine might be better suited for having a family and children later, as well as a more broad scope of practice. Is it practical to hope to do something like OB/GYN and also return to Canada for residency? Also for me, I am not looking forward to the prospect of doing a long distance relationship across the atlantic. Anyone have thoughts on how to manage a LDR during medical school or know anyone who has done it successfully?

OB/GYN is one of the hardest specialties hands down to get into (also highest lawsuit rate, as we're told SO many times). Not to say not doable, but also will be tough.

I changed my mind from what I wanted to do over the last year. I was pretty dead set on ortho or some surgery. I'm now really wanting small town GP + 1 in emerg or OB/GYN but I also seem to really like endocrine (change was due to various reasons after doing observerships this past summer). You can definitely have your mind changed.

As for LDRs - people survive it. I maintained one over my first year, but ended at the start of the summer. We could have made it but we were already growing in separate directions and a few other reasons (fidelity was no issue, it was personality and career direction stuff). That said, it's doable - a few of my friends in LDRs here got engaged over the summer. You have to find your own way to make it work as well. But it is an added stress, even if you want it to work with all your heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do medical students take night call shifts in the hospital in Ireland? I am curious as I have heard that they do not.

For First Year:

In my acceptance package for UL, the semester dates given for 2015-2016 are Sept 7th-Dec 18th and Jan 25th-May 17th. Does this mean the above schedule has been changed so that we have a month off at Christmas and an extra month in the summer or are these dates not including everything?

In my acceptance package for UL, the semester dates given for 2015-2016 are Sept 7th-Dec 18th and Jan 25th-May 17th. Does this mean the above schedule has been changed so that we have a month off at Christmas and an extra month in the summer or are these dates not including everything?

That's a good question... I've been wondering the same as well.

What ended up happening following that scheduling issue last year? Has the scheduling changed?

Those dates are for UL's calendar year. We do not follow the regular undergrad schedule.

The Medical school (GEMS) has a different schedule. Follow what I said above. Those are the correct timelines.

@starstrike It was all resolved, and people are good with it. You'll see the 3rd and 4th year schedules when GEMS sends out its actual package / someone posts the schedule in your class FB group.

Those dates are for UL's calendar year. We do not follow the regular undergrad schedule.

The Medical school (GEMS) has a different schedule. Follow what I said above. Those are the correct timelines.

@starstrike It was all resolved, and people are good with it. You'll see the 3rd and 4th year schedules when GEMS sends out its actual package / someone posts the schedule in your class FB group.

Hi Sassa,

Thanks for the follow up. Do you know when semester 1 normally ends for GEM? Is it December 18 like the regular schedule? I would like to sort out travel - so far I've based my travels based on the package the school has sent.

Hi Sassa,

Thanks for the follow up. Do you know when semester 1 normally ends for GEM? Is it December 18 like the regular schedule? I would like to sort out travel - so far I've based my travels based on the package the school has sent.

It will be in and around the 18th. Last day of exams I think is scheduled always the Friday before Christmas - sometimes you end earlier, but then again sometimes you do not. Some people book flights for the Friday and then pay the change fee ($120-400) if they have to - if you're going to do this though, you can't book through Expedia or any 3rd party sites, you have to go through the airline directly. Or they give you a change fee of $5000 (this happened to me for a flight from Ireland to England ... I just bought a new ticket for $180 :p)

You will definitely / always have time to travel in your first two years. Out of my class, I would hazard a strong bet to say I travel the most and the furthest (since I've been here, I got to Cambodia and Jordan). Make time and you can do it :)

It will be in and around the 18th. Last day of exams I think is scheduled always the Friday before Christmas - sometimes you end earlier, but then again sometimes you do not. Some people book flights for the Friday and then pay the change fee ($120-400) if they have to - if you're going to do this though, you can't book through Expedia or any 3rd party sites, you have to go through the airline directly. Or they give you a change fee of $5000 (this happened to me for a flight from Ireland to England ... I just bought a new ticket for $180 :p)

You will definitely / always have time to travel in your first two years. Out of my class, I would hazard a strong bet to say I travel the most and the furthest (since I've been here, I got to Cambodia and Jordan). Make time and you can do it :)

I've given myself a few days leeway and am thinking of scheduling a flight back home on the 21st December (Monday). I sure hope the exam period doesn't extend much further as that would be cutting it quite close to Christmas! Glad to hear that there is some free time outside of class in the first two years - sure helps with getting settled and maintaining a school and life balance. Though mind you I'm a bit of a nerd myself. How often/when did you find most people traveling? I am guessing after 2nd year everything is going to get quite busy - outside of clerkship/school there would be board exams to study for (USMLE, MCCEE), electives to do, possible interviews to attend, etc. etc.

I've given myself a few days leeway and am thinking of scheduling a flight back home on the 21st December (Monday). I sure hope the exam period doesn't extend much further as that would be cutting it quite close to Christmas! Glad to hear that there is some free time outside of class in the first two years - sure helps with getting settled and maintaining a school and life balance. Though mind you I'm a bit of a nerd myself. How often/when did you find most people traveling? I am guessing after 2nd year everything is going to get quite busy - outside of clerkship/school there would be board exams to study for (USMLE, MCCEE), electives to do, possible interviews to attend, etc. etc.

You will be safe with the 21st definitely! You will be done the Friday week before Christmas. Don't worry :)

All of us are nerds here. All of us also need breaks. For me, it's travel and baking with a side of salsa dancing. For others, it's going out or tag rubgy or whatever. Burn out is real, find a balance early so it doesn't happen!

Most people travel every long weekend and before / after summer during first and second year. Things get more real term 2 of 2nd year - I reduced my traveling even :) But electives are done in the summers / breaks, and interviews are as well (those are only in 4th year anyway). GP placement in 3rd year would give you time to travel as well.

After that though - it's all exams, interviews, flying wherever during breaks. So take advantage of first and second year!

Is there any correlation between the MCAT and any of the clinical exams such as (MCCEE, USMILE, NAC)? As in are they set up in a similar manner and if you score 90th percentile on the mcat, will you likely score similarly well on these clinical exams?

Also, because UL is pass/fail for the first two years, do you ever find out your actual numeric result or just P or F? Is there any honours for higher marks in the class?

Is there any correlation between the MCAT and any of the clinical exams such as (MCCEE, USMILE, NAC)? As in are they set up in a similar manner and if you score 90th percentile on the mcat, will you likely score similarly well on these clinical exams?

Also, because UL is pass/fail for the first two years, do you ever find out your actual numeric result or just P or F? Is there any honours for higher marks in the class?

I had to laugh at the first question - sorry haha absolutely no correlation whatsoever. Not the same set up at all. Especially NAC OSCE - it's like MMIs but for keeps. Short and long cases with real people as your patients.

Honestly the MCAT is the biggest joke ever compared the USMLE or EE. Not even same level.

Benefit of UL is you start OSCEs right in first year. It's known as a super strong clinical school.

Yes it's pass fail for the first two years. You do find out your numerical mark. You get ranked starting in 3rd year when things start counting.

I had to laugh at the first question - sorry haha absolutely no correlation whatsoever. Not the same set up at all. Especially NAC OSCE - it's like MMIs but for keeps. Short and long cases with real people as your patients.

Honestly the MCAT is the biggest joke ever compared the USMLE or EE. Not even same level.

Benefit of UL is you start OSCEs right in first year. It's known as a super strong clinical school.

Yes it's pass fail for the first two years. You do find out your numerical mark. You get ranked starting in 3rd year when things start counting.

This, re: MCAT vs real exams.

It makes me cringe when people won't put in the time to retake a low MCAT, because "its too hard" or "too much work".

Reactions: 1 users
any suggestions for on campus residence (i think this might be nice for 1st year!)?
quigley vs cappavilla vs thomond vs dromroe
i will a 24 year old Canadian female who works out at the gym every day. i like cooking/baking, rugby, and the odd guinness ;)
not into tinder haha.
thanks!

any suggestions for on campus residence (i think this might be nice for 1st year!)?
quigley vs cappavilla vs thomond vs dromroe
i will a 24 year old Canadian female who works out at the gym every day. i like cooking/baking, rugby, and the odd guinness ;)
not into tinder haha.
thanks!

You sound like a typical med student :)

I would do quigley or Cappa.

I'm not a residence person but I have lived in quigley this year and last year. Looking forward to real houses for placements come August but quigley is actually fantastic. Can't beat the convenience factor either.

Ps also an avid baker here, bake every week without fail for my pbl group. And there are bake sales to volunteer for a lot!

And tag rugby every week :)

hey does anyone know if limerick will be doing a second round of interviews?

USMLE will be the hardest exam you will ever study for in your life. MCAT is not easy if you want to prepare well but USMLE is definitely harder just because there is just so much material you need to know.

Most Canadian med students are quite happy they don't have to write the USMLE, and these are people who've aced their MCATs. Its not something people ever do on a whim unless they are just looking to pass.

Reactions: 1 users
^^ yup.

Studying for the USMLE now makes my upcoming year 2 exams seem easy.

It's a whole other ball game.