Likely applying to local residency programs... is it worth it to go to Midyear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moxxie

Rained out
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying for a residency, but due to family commitments I won't be able to apply nationwide. The programs that I'm interested in are either in my current town or where my in-laws live. I personally know the preceptors for the programs in my current town, and all of the other programs that I am interested in will be exhibiting at my region's APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meeting (MRM) next month (which I am going to for other reasons).

Given that I either already have contacts with the residency programs I'm interested in or can meet my potential preceptors elsewhere, do you think it's worth it to go to the ASHP Midyear meeting? Are the extra sessions worth attending? Money is tight right now and I'd rather save where I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying for a residency, but due to family commitments I won't be able to apply nationwide. The programs that I'm interested in are either in my current town or where my in-laws live. I personally know the preceptors for the programs in my current town, and all of the other programs that I am interested in will be exhibiting at my region's APhA-ASP Midyear Regional Meeting (MRM) next month (which I am going to for other reasons).

Given that I either already have contacts with the residency programs I'm interested in or can meet my potential preceptors elsewhere, do you think it's worth it to go to the ASHP Midyear meeting? Are the extra sessions worth attending? Money is tight right now and I'd rather save where I can.

If you are already sure...then no, no need to go.

It sounds like you've already made contact with your programs of interest, so I don't think Midyear is a necessity. The extra programs are nice, but not worth the cost of a flight, hotel and registration.

I would just send a thank-you note to the programs you speak with at the APhA-ASP MRM, much like you would do if you were to attend Midyear. If you feel like you should explain yourself, you can tell them then that you won't be attending Midyear but that you enjoyed learning more about their program beforehand. You'll also likely mention who you met with and where you met with them in your application cover letter, so you might want to jot that down for your own record.

Members don't see this ad :)

you applying for the ones at Boise VA and/or ones with Rex Force, Teddie Gould or Eliza Borzadek?

you applying for the ones at Boise VA and/or ones with Rex Force, Teddie Gould or Eliza Borzadek?

Yes for Boise VA; no for any of the ones in Pocatello with the above professors (who are all great). Two years in Pocatello was enough for me!

Yes for Boise VA; no for any of the ones in Pocatello with the above professors (who are all great). Two years in Pocatello was enough for me!

I think the Boise VA one looks pretty cool. I agree with you on Poki...my wife's g-ma lives nearby in Chubbock and I would have a hard time living there for even one year. Which residencies you considering near your in-laws?

I think the Boise VA one looks pretty cool. I agree with you on Poki...my wife's g-ma lives nearby in Chubbock and I would have a hard time living there for even one year. Which residencies you considering near your in-laws?

My in-laws live outside of Portland, OR, so I'm interested in several different programs there. I'm not sure about managed care, but there are several hospital residencies that look good.

My in-laws live outside of Portland, OR, so I'm interested in several different programs there. I'm not sure about managed care, but there are several hospital residencies that look good.

best wishes to you:). I think, Portland and Boise would be wonderful places to live:)

Last edited:
I didn't go for the same reasons. Didn't hinder me at all.