Likelihood of getting more interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplepancakes897

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's mid-December and I'm getting really worried.

Here's the run down.

GPA: 3.85; science GPA: ~3.80; MCAT: 510 (Chem/phys: 126, CARS: 128, Bio/Bio: 129, Psych: 127). I finished secondaries mid- to late September. I got a name change and became a US citizen some time over the summer and neither AMCAS nor TMDSAS would verify me until my legal information was updated with my university and with the government so I wasn't verified until mid-August.

I applied to about 30 schools and since completing my secondaries, I've gotten a couple rejections, a couple holds, and only two interviews (Texas Tech - Lubbock and LSU New Orleans). What's the likelihood that I'll get any more interviews, especially from the schools I got a hold (University of Arizona-Tucson, Rochester, and George Washington)? And would I have a better chance of getting an interview if I updated my application with my grades from the fall semester and my new GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
don't know about the interviews but I don't think your fall semester grades would help all that much since you have a good track record with your GPA. I don't think schools are going to reject you for your grades alone i.e. "Loved everything about their app but they only have a 3.85gpa"... don't think the chances of that are very good so I don't think a grade update will help that much.

hopefully others can weigh in as well especially regarding more interviews. From what I have garnered over all these threads is that it is definitely possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Very little chance of getting one at GW. look at their thread about if they're still giving out II's but everyone gets put on hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
well i'd say 0% chance of getting off of the waitlist at ASU because they don't have a med school

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It's mid-December and I'm getting really worried.

Here's the run down.

GPA: 3.85; science GPA: ~3.80; MCAT: 510 (Chem/phys: 126, CARS: 128, Bio/Bio: 129, Psych: 127). I finished secondaries mid- to late September. I got a name change and became a US citizen some time over the summer and neither AMCAS nor TMDSAS would verify me until my legal information was updated with my university and with the government so I wasn't verified until mid-August.

I applied to about 30 schools and since completing my secondaries, I've gotten a couple rejections, a couple holds, and only two interviews (Texas Tech - Lubbock and LSU New Orleans). What's the likelihood that I'll get any more interviews, especially from the schools I got a hold (University of Arizona-Tucson, Rochester, and George Washington)? And would I have a better chance of getting an interview if I updated my application with my grades from the fall semester and my new GPA?
I think your chances of becoming a doctor aren't too bad, just send the schools update letters throughout the cycle (if they accept them) so that they know you are interested. I know there's some peeps on here who may say that these letters play no role, but think about. Not everyone will be sending these letters. For example, I was put on hold for a few schools, and for someone like me with a plethora of A's, I am not going to take the time to draft a well thought out letter. Therefore, you would look more interested whereas I would look like I don't care (which is the truth), so I think it can significantly help you.

In any case, I'm not sure if the rate limiting step was your legal status or your name change, but if the limiting step was waiting for you to get your name changed, in the future, I suggest you hold off on anything that major like a name change until after the thing you have been working the past 4 years for.