Likelihood of being deployed overseas (because I want to)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been following this site for years, and although I find some of aspects of military medicine unappealing, I am very strongly considering applying for the scholarship (I plan on applying to med school this summer).

This site has been a great resource for information on military medicine in general, but I haven't found any solid information on the odds of obtaining a desired billet. I have lived in Japan already for 6 years, and with a Japanese spouse and children I would love to return there (i.e. be deployed there). From those with experience with this things, what is the likelihood that I would get a position at a base anywhere in Japan if those were the only positions that I requested after finishing residency? Although I understand that things may change, I plan on doing medicine, pediatrics, or neurology (but who knows!). Further, what branch would likely give me the most opportunities to be stationed there? I lived in Okinawa for a year (not military related) very close to Kadena and Foster, so I know that the AF has a very big presence there. Army seems to have little presence in Japan (comparatively).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

RisingSun

Members don't see this ad.

RisingSun said:
Hello everyone. I've been following this site for years, and although I find some of aspects of military medicine unappealing, I am very strongly considering applying for the scholarship (I plan on applying to med school this summer).

This site has been a great resource for information on military medicine in general, but I haven't found any solid information on the odds of obtaining a desired billet. I have lived in Japan already for 6 years, and with a Japanese spouse and children I would love to return there (i.e. be deployed there). From those with experience with this things, what is the likelihood that I would get a position at a base anywhere in Japan if those were the only positions that I requested after finishing residency? Although I understand that things may change, I plan on doing medicine, pediatrics, or neurology (but who knows!). Further, what branch would likely give me the most opportunities to be stationed there? I lived in Okinawa for a year (not military related) very close to Kadena and Foster, so I know that the AF has a very big presence there. Army seems to have little presence in Japan (comparatively).

RisingSun

in my experience; it would be unlikely you would get overseas on a first term. For a second term (after a reenlistment), I have seen several colleagues offered a Japan position in family med. USAF

RisingSun said:

RisingSun

your best bet would be the navy...sasebo and yokosuka are 2 that come to mind...although once you get to base chances are you will spend extended amounts of time out at sea away from your family

Members don't see this ad :)
USAFdoc said:
in my experience; it would be unlikely you would get overseas on a first term. For a second term (after a reenlistment), I have seen several colleagues offered a Japan position in family med. USAF

I would not count on your getting a billet in Japan ever. They are generally sought after by people who are owed a good assignment and are thus competetive, as overseas billets go. You would probably need to have a tour or two elsewhere first.

Considering the strains between the Japanese civilians and the overseas military community at most of our bases in Japan, brought about by a series of unfortunate criminal acts done by U.S. servicemembers, the future of our presence there is doubtful. A much smaller U.S. footprint in Japan is likely in the future, NK threats notwithstanding. That would mean fewer support staff as well.

If you go Navy you can go there as a GMO after internship. Okinawa with the marines or mainland with the Navy. Either is doable as a first time GMO. That being said some people have difficulty with the detailor others dont.

Going as a staff physician is a bit more difficult and may not happen as a first assignment after residency. However I have known people who did it.

If you decide to go as a GMO with the navy then you need to do a navy internship so that you have more access to the detailor while in internship. The guys who do deferments are the last to contact or be contacted by the detailor and are generally given whats left over.

I dont see bases in japan making the BRAC list anytime soon despite public opinion over there. Japaneese Government opinion is what matters and they enjoy the economics of the situation. Even if Im wrong the GMO spots wont dissolve until the forces they support go away.

In terms of deploying there. The Marine UDP deployments have really gone away with OIF being the priority. Not sure if the units in hawaii are still deploying there or not. This is of course as all deployments go Unaccompanied. So your wife will not get to go back to japan with you.

Best bet is to get stationed there as a GMO.

All good replies here.

I would add one thing - DO NOT join if your primary reason for doing so is foreign travel. Most of the exotic locations to which we send people are not all that desireable ;) And, as everyone else has pointed out, the chance of you getting to Japan is not necessarily that strong, and depends on your detailer being in a good mood, and slots in your particular specialty being available.

DO join if you like the idea of serving your country, caring for those others who have choosen to do so, and visiting parts of the world others may never see. You MIGHT get back to Japan, or you and your familiy might find some other place in the world that you absolutely love to live, and never would have experienced it otherwise...

Thanks everyone for the comments! It is a bit discouraging to hear that deployment to Japan may not be possible unless I do my time in elsewhere first. I can understand that Japan is a place that many would like to be stationed and therefore is comparatively competetive.

I think that a bit part of my motivation to enlist is in fact the possibility of being able to work there most/all of a four-year commitment. If the odds of this happening are not good - or very bad - then maybe I should rethink the whole thing. Would it be possible to do FAP and negoiatate the terms of my contract to include being stationed at a base in Japan (or anywhere else, for that matter)? That would be a more ideal situation all around I would think.

RisingSun