Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vikas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to the Chief of Neurosurg at my school (USC) and he said some things that I found to be contrary to what I have heard in the past about neurosurgs. Basically what he said is that it is completely possible to lead a "good" lifestyle in neurosurgery (after residency, of course) and by good i mean 60 hour weeks or less. All it takes is to be in the right type of large practice or in certain academic settings.

Can anyone elaborate on the hours of a practicing neurosurgeon (either in private practice or in academics). All I've heard of are the crazy guys out there that work 100 hour weeks at 55 years old because there is nothing in life (family, sleep, etc.) that they love more than operating. I want to hear more about the guys who enjoy a good lifestyle and are still making it in this badass profession.

I love the brain and I am currently thinking about neuroradio or inr. He also told me that as an INR, I would be working as much as most neurosurgeons but the path there is much easier. Personally I don't care how hard my residency will be as long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone have some good uplifting (or harshly realistic) anecdotes?
Can one be a neurosurgeon and still have a good family life?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on what your view of "good family life" is. Working 60 hours a week sounds a little cush for a new surgeon in the field but then again, I don't know many in practice. The one neurosurgeon that I knew pretty well usually worked about 70-80 hours a week but was established and had two partners.

I think you hear alot about these "crazy" guys who just love to operate because most surgical fields and certainly the specialized ones are comprised (alot of times) of physicians who truly find their identity in what they do. The training is so long that it pretty effectively weeds out those who don't have the "crazy" appetite for the demands of the field.

Were I concerned with lifestyle and in love with the brain, I would go into neurology or a related field like ophthalmology.