Lifespan Training in Neuropsychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mind_reader

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a clinical PhD program, with an interest in neuropsychology. I'm starting to think about internship and post doc and I'm curious about ways to get training to make me qualified to work with children and adults as a neuropsychologist. It seems like there are a couple of postdocs that focus on training with both populations, but outside of that the only thing I can think of would be to complete two neuropsych post docs, one adult and one pediatric. Does anyone have experience getting trained to work with both populations? Or know about post docs and internships that offer training in both? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like it would be particularly difficult to be equally proficient in neuropsych for all age groups.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like it would be particularly difficult to be equally proficient in neuropsych for all age groups.

It is. I know less than a handful of people who do it well, and they tend to be on the superstar spectrum. I see many more than that claim to be lifespan neuropsychologists, but they are not very proficient in any age spectrum. So, it can be done, but I would make sure I went through pretty rigorous channels to become proficient in both areas.

I see it advertised, but i can only think of a couple/few that i’d actually trust to do a good job. I still would likely refer to someone who has a more narrow focus.

I can understand an adult neuro going down to 15-17 if they had the right mix of training and mentorship, but it’s a very different ballgame for <15. Oh...and the startup cost for <18 materials can get pricy quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
It is. I know less than a handful of people who do it well, and they tend to be on the superstar spectrum. I see many more than that claim to be lifespan neuropsychologists, but they are not very proficient in any age spectrum. So, it can be done, but I would make sure I went through pretty rigorous channels to become proficient in both areas.

This is what I was thinking it would be like. You would know a little about a lot of things instead of being a true expert on just a few things. I guess if I were in your position (OP), I would ask myself why I want to pursue this (e.g. personal curiosity, belief that this is a better way to be able to conceptualize cases, can’t decide which population to work with, etc.) and how it will impact my ability to be an effective neuropsychologist? Also, there is a strong chance that once you receive more training, you will realize that you actually prefer working with certain populations more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I briefly thought about pursuing lifespan neuro- training then decided against it. I do think it's important though, particularly early in training, to receive at least some training across the lifespan to get some general familiarity with children and adults.

Be aware that some of the old people are lifespan because there were extremely few sources in the outset. A friend of mine got started by reading every book in neuropsych, which was like 5 books.

I believe you can check out Barrow Neurological institute, they offer a 2 year residency in clinical Neuropsychology and the program seems to be oriented towards both populations. But at the end of the day, i believe it is better to go with the general track and serve both, or just specialize in one, since nowadays most practices are divided since peds get their own unit.

Reactions: 1 user