This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordoctor000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can you do with a life science major if you dont get into medical school? What would be a potential back up plan?

what about a general science major?

I am currently a biology major but planning on changing it because this major consists of difficult classes that are hard to take to maintain a competitive gpa for med school

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can do much with a biology or 'general science' major -- these are not meant to be terminal degrees. I think if you got a masters you could do some teaching (high school, maybe CC) or get a lab position of some sort.

I would also add that if you're thinking about changing major because you think the biology classes are too difficult .. then I would strongly reconsider your overall career path, because medical school will be much, much harder..

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
biology is not a difficult major...it is one of the easier science majors. Perhaps you should focus on improving your study habits and work ethic so you can be prepared for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
What can you do with a life science major if you dont get into medical school? What would be a potential back up plan?

what about a general science major?

I am currently a biology major but planning on changing it because this major consists of difficult classes that are hard to take to maintain a competitive gpa for med school

Nothing.

Nothing,

I hope you're not serious.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above, Biology isn't that hard compared to Biochem, Micro, Cell Bio, etc.

With biology, I do not see much else you can do. However, if you want to change to one of the more "specific" majors, I think your options expand a little more. For example, I know the CDC hires Bachelor's level Microbiology and Biochem grads, with minimal compensation of course.