Life Outside PA School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting a PA Program soon and wondering how much time it will consume? Does it take every waking moment or is there still time for life outside of PA school? I am willing to invest whatever it takes, but I am beginning to worry that I will have time for NOTHING except studying from waking to sleeping and on weekends. I have heard it's easier than working a full-time job and also heard of people waking at 5 a.m. and studying until 2 a.m. Any comments from current/past students?

Members don't see this ad.

Whether or not you "have a life" outside of school will depend only on you and your habits. I'm now in my second semester of PA school (started in May) and I have to tell you that I have about as much free time as I did as an undergraduate and some times even more because there are no "outside clubs and organizations" to take up my time like there were in college. I think it's all about balance. How you've done up to this point in your education should be a great guide to you. If you're the type of person who knows how to balance things, you'll be fine in PA school...at least that's what I've found to be true for me and some of my classmates. The work load is AMAZING, I won't lie about that. But it's doable. I'm usually in class from 9 am to about 4 or 5 pm. Then I give myself a break usually until 7 or 8pm and then study until around midnight or so, unless I have a test and then of course I study more. I go to Bible study twice a week, hang out with friends a lot, and I never pass up a "good time" because of school. And I've done okay so far. Don't stress too much. The amount of work will overwhelm you, but it'll only stress out if you let it.
Good luck!
AggiePA
UT Southwestern Class of 2004

hey aggie,
i'm thinking about PA school (perhaps). but is it true that you should be in the healthcare field already??? cuz i'm not. i'm a senior undergrad. (i go to bible study too) :D