Life of Critical Care/intensivist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a way for a hospitalist to do critical care with minimum fellowship time nowadays? My step dad and some colleagues as well as some of my attendings covered ICU as hospitalists some years ago. Not sure if this still exists but I'd like to do it. They said that it still happens, but I've never seen it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Depends.

Hospitals are doing their best, when they can, to move to an intensivist model, largely with pulmonary and critical care type of providers. In the mean time hospitals that do not have the staffing for part or full time intensivists are often using hospitalists to staff the ICU coverage. It's unclear to me how long this "hpspitalist model" will be viable, though I do imagine for many years in certain locations, but I think if you're planning now to do hospitalist work in a critical care capaicty for your entire career, this is probably unrealistic over the long haul as hospitals will pick up intensivsits when able and the intensivsits will eventually move those without critical care training out of the unit.

Members don't see this ad.

What if you were to 'diagnostically' lavage them and they were to get better after you've lavaged out the mucous?

I don't follow. I figure therapeutic bronchoscopy for mucus plugging would require less procedural time and advanced training then diagnostic bronch with wang biopsy etc, thus it would be easier to get privileges for therapeutic bronch If I have say 40-50 of them done under supervision.

Sorry to revive such an old thread. There doesn't seem to be any central database to compare the curriculum/work hours/rotations etc. between different CCM programs. I was wondering what the lifestyle of current intensivists (or fellows) is like. Is there a high burn out rate? Do you have to work nights, or can you do just day shifts? Are all CCM jobs shift-based now? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to revive such an old thread. There doesn't seem to be any central database to compare the curriculum/work hours/rotations etc. between different CCM programs. I was wondering what the lifestyle of current intensivists (or fellows) is like. Is there a high burn out rate? Do you have to work nights, or can you do just day shifts? Are all CCM jobs shift-based now? Thank you!

1. No central database. Plan to work hard for at least 12 of those 24 months.

2. Intensivists can work all kind of schedules, but most common is shift work with a week on and a week off and probably 4-6 weeks of vacation, so probably 20-22 weeks of work per year.

3. You will work nights part of the time, and probably as much as half the time. I have a hard time thinking you'd be able to find a days only kind of gig, at least initially.

4. Unclear what "burn-out" rate is currently as the new shift work intensivist paradigm is fairly young. It's obviously a possibility.

You can find days only gigs where the hospitalist covers at night. These are rare though and tend to pay a bit less.

Shift work is tough...but unlike EM you can usually get a few hours of sleep on a ICU night.

Old thread...closed ICU. We have 7a-7p Intensivist and 7p-7a. Rarely, leave the unit but do work collaboratively with our Hospitalist Team.
Honestly, those guys run unit to unit all shift long and I have a lot of respect for them. Respectful relationships is key, I've backed them on difficult intubations, ect.