Life in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask if there is a general discrimination against foreign doctors in Australia? How about internation medical students?

Members don't see this ad.

I don;t think you can ever say there isn't any discrimination in any country. people in Australia are, I think, quite open to people from overseas and there were many people alost 1/4 of the class from overseas and they didn't seem to have any problems... Hope that helps.

Paul said:
I would like to ask if there is a general discrimination against foreign doctors in Australia? How about internation medical students?

i don't think that 's a huge problem here. i am an international dental student from china. i have been in australia for 3 years. when i go to hospitals or clinics, i found there are many doctors with foreign accents, but they practise now in australia. australia has huge amount of immigrations. and i heard the government is trying to get more medical professional from overseas as the result of aging of baby-bommers and shortage of doctors. And in medical/dental school there are many international students. nearly 1/3 in my year (dental school) are international, mostly from malaysia. local students are very friendly, you can make friends with them if you are friendly. you don't have to worry too much about it.